Overloading a phono amp?

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
I have a Ca azur 651p on a 14 exchange from richersounds, getting a better soundstage now through this compared to the built in one on my amp so i will probably keep it , but it was switched on when I plugged the input lead from the turntable into it :oops: and so was the amp :doh: ,,, even though the volume knob was quite low there was a big wobble from the woofers, the speakers are fine but what about the preamp, could this do some damage to the senitive inputs . everthing seems fine,

I notice this has a MC / MM input too , whats the difference to the input for moving coil

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
MC carts are lower output than MM so you need a different setting for MC.

I have the 651p and love it, I wouldnt have thought you would have damaged the 651p, but someone else may have an opinion.

If it sounds ok then do not worry.

AmigaNut

Hum. Bet that came as a bit of a shock, and I bet you don't do it again. :)

MC cartridges come in a wide variety of output voltages usually labelled Low, Medium and High. Generally the Low to Medium will require different inputs on the phono amp (as well as loadings etc). Most High output MC cartridges will work pretty well through the MM input.

The 651p has both inputs and gives you a little more scope when it comes to upgrading your cartridge.

Oh, and ii is still working then you haven't damaged it.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
Hum. Bet that came as a bit of a shock, and I bet you don't do it again. :)

MC cartridges come in a wide variety of output voltages usually labelled Low, Medium and High. Generally the Low to Medium will require different inputs on the phono amp (as well as loadings etc). Most High output MC cartridges will work pretty well through the MM input.

The 651p has both inputs and gives you a little more scope when it comes to upgrading your cartridge.

Oh, and ii is still working then you haven't damaged it.

thats good to know, forgot how sensitve phono inputs are compared to line , only just started using vinyl again , last time was the early eighties, I once forgot to turn the amp off when I changed a stylus for the first time on my first turtable , , I thought the speaker cones were going to launch across the room,

wont the peamp just 'clip' if overloaded like this without damage ?? ,, looks like it was my speakers that were at most risk, good job the volume was only at 9 o' clock then !! Take care here folks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts