Over-ear passive headphones? £200 ish?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I’m in the market for new headphones and would welcome some ideas (and what I want may not be possible…)

I live in London and commute by Tube and work in an open-plan office. I’ve got a trusty pair of Shure 115s that I’ve had for ages. They’re fine to listen to, offer great outside noise blocking, but are a pain to take out and re-insert (especially when ordering my morning coffee as I despise people who don’t say thank you properly! Or when phone rings etc.). I also have AKG 451s, but they sound terrible (flabby and let in too much external noise).

For that reason, I’m looking for some proper over-ear headphones. The obvious thing would be to consider active noise cancelling. I think they work great for noise cancelling, but don’t actually like how the Bose headphones sound. I also don't like being reliant on a further set of batteries in the headphones.

Are there any decent over-ear headphones with really excellent passive noise blocking (think office hum, and tube screech/rattle)? I'm using Google Play music over a laptop and a Samsung S5.

Max budget is £200, so considering:

Sennheiser Momentum Over-ear

B&O Beosound H6 (the blue ones are available for £179)

Anything else? Thanks

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
sorry - meant to say also that lighter/comfortable phones are preferred as I'll be on the move. Foldability is useful, but less of a concern as I'll have my trusty backpack with me most of the time.

cleggton

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I was looking to solve the exact same problem. Was struggling to audition much. I tried the B&W P3/5/7 in the apple store but wasn't sold. I also tried the Sennheiser momentum on and over ear.

But I eventually plumped for the fidellio M1 (Mk1) as everones favourite online store had them at a massive discount since the mk11 model was released. I have to say I am very happy with them and certainly compare favourably with the others I auditioned. They also seem pretty sensitive so good with just your phone (rather than a seperate amp, the P7 for example was muddy without an external headphone amp)

These are on-ears, rather than over ears, but if portability is a consideration, that is the way I would be going. For sound isolation they do everything I need (Keep out office and train noise) but don't completely deafen me to the outside world like my IEMs.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
thanks, will take a look, but not sure on-ears will work for me. My AKGs are very poor at isolating external noise, so I only use them at my desk. I've tried the Over and On-ear Momentum variants, and over win (handsdown).

the noise of a train is very muted to the deafening roar of the Bakerloo line, sadly. The chap next to me last night had Momentums on. A real shame you're cannot speak to other humans on pain of death on TfL!

iceman16

I would suggest Senn. momentum over ear if foldability is not an issue
regular_smile.gif

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
B&w are excellent at noise isolation. I had the P3s. However, the sound may not be what you are after; I tired of mine and got rid. I now use the v-moda xs which sound superb but let in much more noise. I've not really checked but I'm assuming they let out more too, although I've never had any funny looks.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I would be very reluctant to spend £200 on some headphones that were mainly to be used on the tube that weren't noise-cancelling. Tubes are incredibly noisy and it is better with buds that block your ears. You will always hear lots of rumble and noise through normal over-ears.

A thought on NC is the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC9. 3 levels of NC or off if you want. Very good headphones. Or for less the ANC70.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
thanks all. I really like B&W stuff. Unlike this esteemed publication, I rate the P5 over the P3. (Priced out on P7, but not tried P5-2). The on-ear nature leaves me slightly concerned, but will try them.

Marshall - will give them a go too, although I am a bit dubious - they just scream "name-borrowing tie-in" - like Ferrari branded everything.

Audio Technica - look MASSIVE! Can only find them at Argos, so not sure where I'd try them out. I'm not keen on looking like a helicopter pilot... Not well reviewed here (although blindly following 5star ratings on here have left me with a TV that I don't much care for, and I'm not sure how they rate AKG450s as they do...).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts