Outboard DAC Reviews

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As digital media sources and streaming is becoming ever more ubiqutous, and the potential results as HiFi as any other source, would it be an idea to do a feature/reviews in the mag on outboard DACs for such set ups, perhaps even including some of the better integrated DACs that can be used with external sources...?.....I know the team are redesigning the back pages for the coming month, but at present there is no section for separate DACs even.

SC

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Andy Clough:I believe our esteemed Dep Ed Dom Dawes in working right now on a Group Test of DACs for the next issue, out in September.

If you want a proper group test of DAC, you need Stello DAC in that group
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm just interested in the Chord 64 vs the internal Supernait I'm thinking of getting....

A

Anonymous

WHF is there any chance you could say which DAC's you are testing?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
As i've posted elsewhere, this test is just small round-up of budget DACs - eg Beresford, the new Cambridge Audio Magic, Musical Fidelity - with many more to come, including both Chords (Gem and its much pricier big brother!) very shortly.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd expect so, at some stage - not on the imminent agenda, though. We'll continue to review new DACs as they come along, though - that's usually how group tests get kicked off!

A

Anonymous

Is it a bank holiday...?! My god, what are you guys (WHF) doing on here....Go play !

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
SC:I'm just interested in the Chord 64 vs the internal Supernait I'm thinking of getting....

No need to wait for the Mag review on this one. I had both and Chord 64 (mk1) is a lot better.

A

Anonymous

Thaiman:
SC:I'm just interested in the Chord 64 vs the internal Supernait I'm thinking of getting....

No need to wait for the Mag review on this one. I had both and Chord 64 (mk1) is a lot better.

TM you seem to have more product knowledge than anyone I know. If you want to remain anonymous cool, but I'd be interested to know what you do?

A

Anonymous

Better than using the internal on the Supernait....? I would only have considered the Supernait because of the DAC facility, so if the Chord is that much better, I can save, get the Chord, and go the pre-amp route with Naim..... It's kinda hard to check all that out out here in Bkk...! Cheers Thaiman, apprciated. SC

A

Anonymous

Although I guess we are comparing a £2k DAC only against a £2.5k integrated, so not so fair....

A

Anonymous

So it seems...! I guess no rest for the
emotion-14.gif
! Anyway, it's appreciated....

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
SC:Better than using the internal on the Supernait....? I would only have considered the Supernait because of the DAC facility, so if the Chord is that much better, I can save, get the Chord, and go the pre-amp route with Naim..... It's kinda hard to check all that out out here in Bkk...! Cheers Thaiman, apprciated. SC

Are you in Thailand? How much is DAC 64 back in Bangkok? Demo it first, take time as it can sound too clinical for some taste. The matching transport is very expensive but many swear by them, I didn't use the blu though as Marantz did a very good job at the fraction of the price.

A

Anonymous

Khr p ! Yep, here in the land of, er, smiles....

I haven't priced the Chord here, though I have seen it, in Paragon funnily enough....I would check Singapore also...To be honest, if I went that route, I'd probably think about a used/demo model as I don't want to spend so much...It's just to go in-line for for anything coming from a NAS and AppleTV, connecting to the Naim gear I'm planning to get....Although, a good listen and reviews of the HDX may negate all of this, should I win the lottery...

It's difficult to get meaningful demos here, especially across different brands and mixed components, so I tend to do that sort of thing if/when back in the UK....If the Chord is on the clinical side, I'll have to check it out for sure, especially if it's going to be connected to Naim amps, may be a worry.......thinking of clinical, that reminds me of the Cyrus DACX, but I hadn't counted that in due to that vey aspect of the sound...I don't mind clinical, I just don't like bright and lack of body in a sound....

A

Anonymous

Cheers Thaiman...No, I haven't, though have read about them - made in Korea yeah ? I read good things about them...the 220 is the better model, yes? I've never had a separate DAC before actually, so it's all fairly new, but would seem to make sense with the overall system I'm planning....I just need to narrow down the exact model or two....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts