Out with the old and in with a new amp.....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I saw a Moon i-3 RS for sale at a very good price and thought, what the hell. I put my beloved 840A up on Ebay and it sold within a few hours. The upgrade has cost me £500. I think that's pretty good. Any thoughts? I haven't heard the Moon in action but I'm pretty sure if I'm not impressed, I will be able to sell it on at no loss.

Certainly didn't see that one coming. Could of given me first refusal on the 840?
emotion-5.gif

Sorry, Gerrard, all I know about Moon is they produce a big, ballsy sound.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
Certainly didn't see that one coming. Could of given me first refusal on the 840?
emotion-5.gif

Sorry, Gerrard, all I know about Moon is they produce a big, ballsy sound.

Sorry PP, I really didn't think you were interested. I know that you liked it but I thought you had your eyes on a Leema. Apologies mate. I just saw the Moon and thought, why not. I put the 840 up for sale and got more than I had expected, within a couple of hours. I wouldn't have gone for the Moon if the 840 hadn't sold so quickly.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I did exactly the same, bought a primare i30 off ebay and sold my k2. Had no idea what the primare would sould like, but it is great. and only cost me £280 for the upgrade.

Hope the Moon does the trick for you.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I think youve down the right thing Gerrard
emotion-5.gif

The Moon i-3 is a lovely aqmp and a completely different soundstage compared to the C/A 840 and IMO, better for it!

It'll gel hell of a lot better with your RS6's if you ask me
emotion-1.gif

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
be interested how you think it gels with your current kit. i found it a warm, organic sort of sound, bit rolled off at the top and a lovely mid-range. not the punchiest sounding amp though. i read lots of good things about the amp with dynaudio before i bought it but found it a mixed bag, definitely too warm and bassy with dacmagic and focus110 - lacking punch and dynamics too, much better sound with contour s1.4, dramatic and full bodied - would fill a huge room. through my atcs, just a superbly natural sound but lacking punch and dynamics.

looks like you got it at a good price, i bought mine exdem for £1200 and sold it for £1100 on ebay, iirc.

d_a_n1979:I think youve down the right thing Gerrard
emotion-5.gif
The Moon i-3 is a lovely aqmp and a completely different soundstage compared to the C/A 840 and IMO, better for it! It'll gel hell of a lot better with your RS6's if you ask me
emotion-1.gif

Coventional wisdom says you're right about the Moon synergising better than the Cambridge.

Hope Gerrard doesn't mind me mentioning that we met a few weeks ago and I listened to his kit. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by the Cambridge. Until then I've only heard the 640 - and, oh, I actually owned an A5 for two days and traded it in for my current Alpha 7 - and like most makes I've heard some good, bad and indifferent stories about the 840. However, the reality is (or was) the Cambridge was very snappy with hard and fast drumming and overall, tonally, it was pretty impressive. I think the main reason for that is Gerrard's place is similar to mine, acoustically - lush furnishings , carpet etc. No doubt if he had tiled or cladded floors it probably would've hardened the sound too much.

I hope the Moon really works for him, but maybe - and this is only a guess - sound slightly wooly. I could be totally wrong, and hope I am. It's a hunch, given the reviews I've read about Moon gear.

Sorry, Gerrard...
emotion-7.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Craig M.:
be interested how you think it gels with your current kit. i found it a warm, organic sort of sound, bit rolled off at the top and a lovely mid-range. not the punchiest sounding amp though. i read lots of good things about the amp with dynaudio before i bought it but found it a mixed bag, definitely too warm and bassy with dacmagic and focus110 - lacking punch and dynamics too, much better sound with contour s1.4, dramatic and full bodied - would fill a huge room. through my atcs, just a superbly natural sound but lacking punch and dynamics.

looks like you got it at a good price, i bought mine exdem for £1200 and sold it for £1100 on ebay, iirc.

Mmm. You have me a little less confident now Craig! I've read a fair few reviews on the Moon and it has done very well - it beat the Primare I-30 in a WHF group test and rival mags have raved. Anyway, I paid a smidge under £900 and it's apparently immaculate. I will let you know later next week.

On another side, I'm looking for a job at the mo and when (I'm a confident sort!) I get one, I will probably get the Benchmark DAC and look at some new speakers too.

bluenose

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
you lot should really be banned from these forums, you change hi-fi units like Pokemon cards in a school yard, I'm sure its just to make everyone else jealous. Are you on the EVO or Performance car forums as well! :)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
bluenose:you lot should really be banned from these forums, you change hi-fi units like Pokemon cards in a school yard, I'm sure its just to make everyone else jealous. Are you on the EVO or Performance car forums as well! :)

The Moon will be my third EVER stereo amp!!

I don't like your name much by the way!! ;)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:JoelSim:
I don't think you'll regret it. Review please.

Will do Joel. By the way, I have some XLR cables to get rid of now!

joelsimister@hotmail.com

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts