Ortofon 2m. Red stylus to Blue stylus

camcroft

I got my new Blue stylus today and to be honest I was a bit sceptical on wheather or not there would be any improvement well I must say that I noticed the difference straight away. I first played the track with the red stylus on then went on to change to the blue stylus well I could hear a lot more information than with the red so all in all it was worth the £121.50 that I paid for the new stylus. Definately recommended as an upgrade

camcroft said:
I got my new Blue stylus today and to be honest I was a bit sceptical on wheather or not there would be any improvement well I must say that I noticed the difference straight away. I first played the track with the red stylus on then went on to change to the blue stylus well I could hear a lot more information than with the red so all in all it was worth the £121.50 that I paid for the new stylus. Definately recommended as an upgrade

I am glad you like it but when you consider the 2M Red is around £90 and that plus the £121 you paid for Blue stylus you could have afforded a better all rounder. But that's just my opinion.

The blue is certainly a better cartridge than the red.

camcroft said:
Its more the ease of not having to change the cartridge body plus the Red stylus is now a spare stylus if need be.

I can well understand that and nowadays in the user- easyness of one off systems the manufacturers love this apparent ineptitude. May you enjoy what you have, and perhaps commensurate on what it could have been.

camcroft

Thanks Al. The other side of the story would be would it be worthwhile really upgrading with the system that I have and given that the room that I have my system in doesnt even allow me to space out the speakers they are about Three feet either side of the system because its more of a long and narrow room so I could never hear the right potential of the system although it does sound good given the limitations. My system is as follows, Marantz SR5023 Project Debut Carbon Turntable ,Monitor Audio RX1. Marantz CD 5003, and my phonostage is a Rega Fono Mini A2D ( could this be improved the phono stage that is ) I wont go into the cabling as I know that is a sore point on this forum although they are all five star cables. Cheers

camcroft said:
Thanks Al. The other side of the story would be would it be worthwhile really upgrading with the system that I have and given that the room that I have my system in doesnt even allow me to space out the speakers they are about Three feet either side of the system because its more of a long and narrow room so I could never hear the right potential of the system although it does sound good given the limitations. My system is as follows, Marantz SR5023 Project Debut Carbon Turntable ,Monitor Audio RX1. Marantz CD 5003, and my phonostage is a Rega Fono Mini A2D ( could this be improved the phono stage that is ) I wont go into the cabling as I know that is a sore point on this forum although they are all five star cables. Cheers

If you're happy with the Blue then hang in there and just buy more music.

I am, however, curious as to why you use the Fono Mini when the Marantz has a built-in phono stage that is as good or better.

camcroft

Well there is definately a difference in the sound quality in the regas favour but thats maybe only my opinion. But I might see if there is any difference now that I am using the Blue.I Update.Its the Rega without a doubt

Tisinthepark

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
What other options is out there that would fit my project essential 3 I was thinking of the blue cartridge and stylus as a replacement for my om10 but curious as to what else is out there.

Tisinthepark said:
What other options is out there that would fit my project essential 3 I was thinking of the blue cartridge and stylus as a replacement for my om10 but curious as to what else is out there.

Pretty much will depend on your budget. The Blue is about £185. Is this your limit. The blue isn't a bad cartridge but I think there's better for similar money.

What do you find lacking in the OM10?

Tisinthepark

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
I'm really just curious as to the fact that everyone says how much a better cartridge and stylus is for picking out the music. My om10 is fine but if I can improve my turntable to get better sound out the vinyl then that's what I want to do I've found a blue on eBay for £166 new but I'm willing to spend about the £200ish mark

i think I should have spent more on a better turntable that had all this fitted as the new stylus and cartridge is about the same as I paid for the essential 3

this is also my first set up so I've no real idea as to what's out there

Tisinthepark said:
I'm really just curious as to the fact that everyone says how much a better cartridge and stylus is for picking out the music. My om10 is fine but if I can improve my turntable to get better sound out the vinyl then that's what I want to do I've found a blue on eBay for £166 new but I'm willing to spend about the £200ish mark

i think I should have spent more on a better turntable that had all this fitted as the new stylus and cartridge is about the same as I paid for the essential 3

this is also my first set up so I've no real idea as to what's out there

Apologies to the OP. I have just realised we have hijacked a thread. If you need further input from me suggest you start a new one.

camcroft

Feel free to carry on
thumbs_up.gif

camcroft

What I have found although the sound is much better there seems to be more noise pick up than before as in if i tap on the plinth it is picked up whereas before with the Red it didnt, Any ideas why ?

camcroft said:
What I have found although the sound is much better there seems to be more noise pick up than before as in if i tap on the plinth it is picked up whereas before with the Red it didnt, Any ideas why ?

Not really. I believe the only difference you have made is to change the shape of the stylus itself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts