Ortofon 2M Cartridge

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I was wondering if this cartridge would be ok to install on my Project Genie II turntable? The supplied on broke by accident and I would like a better one- hence I am looking at the 2M red Ortofon.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Yep, definitely. The 2M does have a "modern" sound though - very atmospheric and detailed, but quite forward. If that's what you are looking for, you've found it!

You could always upgrade later on as well, if you want, just by changing the stylus to either a Blue or Black...

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
I would thoroughly recommend it - I upgraded from the standard Ortofon on the Debut to a 2M Red and am very very happy with it.

A

Anonymous

If you want any proof of how good it is, I havn't got time for these forums any more because I'm listening to it soooo much!

Utterly mindblowing.

Word of warning, my Debut III didn't have a heavy enough counterweight, so I put a pound and a 20p on the end of the tonearm (not connected to the counterweight, connected to the end of the arm) and then took the anti-skating device off. The sound quality is better than a £1,000 CD player, that's for sure.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Great sound for £60. I keep meaning to buy the 2M Blue stylus to upgrade but every time I spin an LP with my Red I am happy with it. (I could never say the same about the Rega Bias 2 it replaced.)

I will upgrade but wait until I have had my money worth from the Red stylus first.

Go ahead. You will not regret it.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:
Word of warning, my Debut III didn't have a heavy enough counterweight, so I put a pound and a 20p on the end of the tonearm (not connected to the counterweight, connected to the end of the arm) and then took the anti-skating device off. The sound quality is better than a £1,000 CD player, that's for sure.ÿ

Sorry, really dumb question, but how did you know this? When I replaced mine I just spun up a disk, it sounded superb, so left it at that. As the 2M is significantly different to the OM5E in terms of shape and size, I did wonder if I'd need to make adjustments, but simply don't have a clue where to start!

ÿ

A

Anonymous

margetti:Hughes123:
Word of warning, my Debut III didn't have a heavy enough counterweight, so I put a pound and a 20p on the end of the tonearm (not connected to the counterweight, connected to the end of the arm) and then took the anti-skating device off. The sound quality is better than a £1,000 CD player, that's for sure.

Sorry, really dumb question, but how did you know this? When I replaced mine I just spun up a disk, it sounded superb, so left it at that. As the 2M is significantly different to the OM5E in terms of shape and size, I did wonder if I'd need to make adjustments, but simply don't have a clue where to start!

It's not a dumb question! How did I know this? Well I couldn't get the arm to balance without adding more weight, because the counterweight was so far back, it would fall off. I can't see how you managed to make it work otherwise, maybe your one came with a different counterweight. Didn't you change the downforce etc?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:
It's not a dumb question! How did I know this? Well I couldn't get the arm to balance without adding more weight, because the counterweight was so far back, it would fall off. I can't see how you managed to make it work otherwise, maybe your one came with a different counterweight. Didn't you change the downforce etc?ÿ

Cheers... no, didn't change a thing. Which as I say did surprise me. I have a Mk I though - no idea if there's any difference between it and the Debut III (when it comes to this) ???

I bought mine 2nd hand so maybe the previous owner made some mods - he didn't say anything to that effect, but then again it never came up as a discussion point.ÿMmmm... will have to investigate...

ÿ

A

Anonymous

margetti:Hughes123:
It's not a dumb question! How did I know this? Well I couldn't get the arm to balance without adding more weight, because the counterweight was so far back, it would fall off. I can't see how you managed to make it work otherwise, maybe your one came with a different counterweight. Didn't you change the downforce etc?

Cheers... no, didn't change a thing. Which as I say did surprise me. I have a Mk I though - no idea if there's any difference between it and the Debut III (when it comes to this) ???

I bought mine 2nd hand so maybe the previous owner made some mods - he didn't say anything to that effect, but then again it never came up as a discussion point. Mmmm... will have to investigate...

I've no idea what the downforce on mine is set at, but it sounds good, so I'm leaving it well alone!

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:margetti:Hughes123:
It's not a dumb question! How did I know this? Well I couldn't get the arm to balance without adding more weight, because the counterweight was so far back, it would fall off. I can't see how you managed to make it work otherwise, maybe your one came with a different counterweight. Didn't you change the downforce etc?ÿ

I bought mine 2nd hand so maybe the previous owner made some mods - he didn't say anything to that effect, but then again it never came up as a discussion point.ÿMmmm... will have to investigate...

I've no idea what the downforce on mine is set at, but it sounds good, so I'm leaving it well alone!

'Nough said!ÿÿ

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
As it happens, the tracking force for both is just about identical. However, if you are having trouble balancing the arm then you can always get a heavier weight as correct set up is critical for optimum performance and also reduced record wear.

A

Anonymous

I fitted the 2M red on my Debut Mk3. It is definitely too heavy for the stock tonearm. After a sweaty, sweary hour I managed to just get the lip of the weight to sit on the last fraction on a mm on the arm so it would balance out. It sounded pretty good, but has obviously shifted since as the sound is now very bass light and I have stopped using it for fear of damaging somethimg.

I have a couple of questions on what I can do.

Do I absolutely have to use the official counterweight or can I just shove some blu tack on the end. If that is a possibility, can anyone tell me the weight of the heavy counterweight (suitable for 6-9g cartridges).

If that is a bad idea, does anyone know of a reasonable online source to buy the official weight. I am in France and as far as I can tell, the counterweight is not on sale here, or at least not in the shops I know in Paris.

Regards,
Matt

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
xxamer:

can anyone tell me the weight of the heavy counterweight (suitable for 6-9g cartridges).

If that is a bad idea, does anyone know of a reasonable online source to buy the official weight. I am in France and as far as I can tell, the counterweight is not on sale here, or at least not in the shops I know in Paris.

I think it should be 75g; at least it is for the Project Xpression, though if the tonearm on the Debut III is a diferent weight, I may be wrong.

Check with henleydesigns.com. They are excellent at replying to emails and will also give advice over the telephone.

They are the official UK distributors for Project and often contrubute to threads on this forum. Perhaps try also starting a new thread on the vinyl sub-forum, that might get Henley's attention!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts