Ortofon 2 red stylus to blue

Nickyr55

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
I have just upgraded my ortofon red stylis to a blue version as they say the cartridge is the same.

I found that the volume was lower when I used the blue stylis, and had to turn volume up on my amp, which caused a hum.

have I installed the stylus correctly or does not the blue stylis really work with the red cartridge base., or maybe I damaged something while replacing stylus.

had anyone else had this problem.

Many thanks

nick

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Nickyr55 said:
I have just upgraded my ortofon red stylis to a blue version as they say the cartridge is the same.

I found that the volume was lower when I used the blue stylis, and had to turn volume up on my amp, which caused a hum.

have I installed the stylus correctly or does not the blue stylis really work with the red cartridge base., or maybe I damaged something while replacing stylus.

had anyone else had this problem.

Many thanks

nick

You can switch stylus no problem. They are both rated the same voltage and should play equally loud. I have a 2m blue but went from 0m red so I cant say from experience but Im 90% sure all the 2m series share about the same sensitivity. There is something wrong. You have a hum and little output sound so its possible that 2 wire are touching. Please act slowly here. Wiring is extremely fragile! You could take long nose and reconnect the wire from the arm on the stylus back. Again dont do like me, I managed to break a cable and had to rewire the whole thing. Learned soldering in the process. Just think every step before acting.

Just a comment, I did a few upgrades on my TT, a mmf 2.2. The biggest improvement came with the acrylic platter. Thats the single upgrade that got everything right. Its really mindblowing how this 2m blue can sound once its in the right setup. Despite having a very good dac it doesnt even comes close to that cartridge.

Nickyr55

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
I have changed back to the red stylus, everything seems fine. Wires seem attached ok, thanks for your advice. Like the ideal of the platter upgrade . Many thanks for your advice

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Sounds to me like you didn't push it all the way in properly

Kenneth-Williams3.jpg

...or it genuinely could be a faulty stylus.

I agree with the major. I've used dozens of styli over the years and have never known this other than through not being inserted correctly.

Are the bits you can see the same? There is usually a metal part sticking out, and maybe the new one isn't quite right?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts