ordering speakers from USA

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am thinking of ordering some speakers from USA: Jamo C803s they are only $599, compared to £799!

I can't find them anywhere near me to audition, so would have to buy unheard anyway.

Is there any electrical or computability problem with this? I would imagine not but someone may know/think otherwise?

Any thoughts welcome.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
that's a big saving but is it worth buying unheard,for £400.00 there are some great speakers here you can audition
with your kit.which is.

A

Anonymous

Remember the shipping costs will be rich, plus you'll very very likely pay VAT and maybe duty as well on cost including shipping.

If you really want to import speakers look at Europe which is vat incl. and cheaper on shipping (or at a push look at China which should be cheaper on an equivalent product).

I like the look of the Jamo's though.

A

Anonymous

actually if you are looking to import - have you considered second-hand from germany? High-end brand T+A speakers are def worth looking at and can be had for a song on german ebay!

A

Anonymous

Try not to import outside of Europe it is a major headache, high shipping cost, import costs, taxes and clearence, no warrenty, it's not worth it at the end of the day.

A

Anonymous

Thanks folks.

I should say that I have some restrictions on positioning the speakers, and Claire had recommended those speakers for my Cyrus system and room requirements.

Given that they have to be relatively close to walls/corners I didn't think that a demo-room listening would necessarily be that helpful.

Certainly it looked like the postage was dear from US, but still significantly cheaper than buying here, although VAT would certainly reduce the saving. Prices in Europe did not seem to have a significant saving c/f here, and could potentially attract VAT...?

I am a bit loathe to pay full price from an internet dealer, but yes sounds like it may not be worth the hassle of importing...

A

Anonymous

To be honest, it really isn't worth importing, having all those troubles for a speaker like Jamo, you can do better than that, even look at second hand speakers, really... save yourself alot of grief.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Yellow Kid"]
Prices in Europe did not seem to have a significant saving c/f here, and could potentially attract VAT...?

[/quote]

Unless you're buying from a Euroretailer who'll sell them to you ex VAT, they won't attract extra tax or duty when shipped here from European country.

But I still wouldn't spend that much on speakers without listening.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew, it is sounding less and less like a good idea!

I should say though, that the point of buying those speakers was not primarily to get a bargain. I had put a query up on a different thread re speakers that would suit my Cyrus system and (more importantly) restricted listening space, and the strongest recommendation (which was from Claire) was for those Jamos. It was only on finding that no one locally had them to audition I started looking on the net.

Will have a look into the next option which was Proac Studio 110s, or maybe Neat Motive 3s.

Any thoughts Andrew or anyone?

A

Anonymous

Yes, definitely for a pair: just checked. I notice they only have them in black so may be an 'end of line' deal.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Yellow Kid"]
I am thinking of ordering some speakers from USA: Jamo C803s they are only $599, compared to £799!

I can't find them anywhere near me to audition, so would have to buy unheard anyway.

Is there any electrical or computability problem with this? I would imagine not but someone may know/think otherwise?

Any thoughts welcome.

[/quote]

I have heard practically the entire line of Jamo, everything from cheapo Studio line to premium R series. Concert series are the pick of the lot. I specifically liked the D 5 series. D 509 would be my top choice (best value for money). One has to hear them to believe what they can do.

It is true that UK market is a lot costlier than US market. I do not have first hand experience of UK market but I have shopped around a lot in USA. You go crazy when you see prices in USA. You get tempted to buy boatloads of electronics. But when you want to import, you need to face the bitter truth. VAT, Duties and other taxes. You end-up paying as much as in local market or may be even more in some cases.

Shopping for small electronics products in USA is great, things that can be carried by yourself as a part of checked in luggage. Players, amps, cables, spare parts etc. Speakers are a different story all together, however. Most likely you need to have them shipped to you and that is a lot of cost.

C-803 would be great to have, but if you shop around you can find equally good speakers, within the cost you will incur on these. Oh, if you have someone living in USA who can bring it for you, great deal. Go for it.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gregory"]is it worth buying unheard,for £400.00 [/quote]

Yes! I think they are the same technology as highly regard concert 8.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Ranjeetrain and all. I have concluded that it is more trouble than it's worth to order form USA. Will consider some of the other options and maybe wait to see if Jamo distribution/price improves here.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I believe they are/were Danish, but recently bought over. They appear to have distribution problems in UK, and no-one local to me has them to audition. The Jamos were recommended by Clare (WHF Editor) for not only my system but my particular listening room restrictions. As the specific issue is how they would work close to side walls/windows a dem room audition will not necessarily be that useful.

That said I am looking at other options now, and not thinking it is worth ordering from USA.

Thanks for your comments.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts