Optoma HD 33 or something else

F

FunkyMonkey

After much deliberation, about to stump for the Optoma HD 33 before the summer's sporting events.

The question is, will anything else be released imminently for under 1500 quid that would mean I would be better off waiting?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I don't think anything new will be due until late this year, and those will be the likes of JVC etc, who don't get involved in that price point. The main alternative to the HD33 is the Epson TW6000.

F

FunkyMonkey

Thanks, that's really interesting. Will check out some reviews.

:type:

pba_target

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Funky,

I've demo'd a wide range of projectors recently including: HD33, Epson TW6000, TW9000, JVC X-3/X-30 & a couple of sonys.

The best for "average" home use was, without a doubt the TW9000. However, the TW6000 did a sterling job and is nearly half the price of the 9000, and within your budget I would suggest. I've just installed a 6000 for a large "home cinema" type project in a non-light controlled room with it set up to nearly its maximum recommended screen size, and it's pretty mega to be honest. I was sceptical in this project about going for the 6000 rather than the 9000 due to the amount of ambient light, but the budget was fixed and the 9000 out of reach. The 6000 has exceeded my expectations really rather well, so I'm pleased to be proved wrong!

The HD33 I found to suffer from "the DLP effect" quite badly, but I know not everyone is affected by that, so I suggest demoing. However, bear in mind you may not be the only person who is going to watch it, and if you can see rainbowing it gets really very irritating quite quickly.

Regards,

J

F

FunkyMonkey

That's interesting, thanks. I am getting the projector for event viewing, particularly for 3d. I have to compare the superior 3d of the HD33 against its potential rainbowing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts