Options for TV installation query

My Samsung UE65KU6400 will arrive in a couple of weeks which I'm planning to replace the 32-inch Samsung which you can see in the pic.

28824302353_5041eb758e_k.jpg

I have a couple of queries (highlighted in bold).

Th width of that cabinet is 150cm, which should just about fit the 65-inch Samsung which is 146cm wide. The depth of the cabinet is 42cm, and the depth of Samsung's TV stand is 33cm.

These are the dimensions of the Samsung:

UE65KU6400UXXU-34802-0.jpg

I've also ordered a Sonos Playbar which is 14cm deep and 8.5cm tall. So, both cannot fit on the media unit (33cm + 14cm = 47cm which is 5cm more than the depth of the media unit). Besides, the Playbar will cover the bottom of the TV, blocking its IR.

I have 2 options:

1) Buy a TV riser which will accommodate the Playbar below. The flexson product which converts the Playbar into a soundbase won't work, because it only has 30cm base for the TV to sie on, which my TV is 33cm. I found this on Amazon which should work with some modification:

71Jiuc8MmgL._SL1500_.jpg

31Y3wvtcdWL.jpg

There are 3 issues with this, a couple of which can be solved:

a) The centre support won't allow the playbar to go underneath. I can take that support out and put another one that runs along the length of the riser.

b) The space available underneath is only 8am, which the playbar is 8.9cm tall. I can put furniture feet underneath the riser which are 15mm tall to solve this.

c) Half the playbar will be underneath the riser. Would this block its speakers in any way?

2) Mount the TV on the wall. It's an outside wall, so mounting isn't a problem. The issue is, that the electrical outlets are bang in the centre of that area. The electrical wires go straight up and will be behind the wall I want to mount the TV on.

28824301563_03e68670c5_k.jpg

Is it still possible to mount the TV on the wall?

Paul.

You can buy a stud detector for 15 quid or so, it will beep if there is any metal where you want to drill.

if you can't drill, you can buy free standing cantilever brackets like the one below

41k-DErhmAL._SY355_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00XJRJFNY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472989051&sr=1-1&pi=SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=41k-DErhmAL&ref=plSrch

Thanks Paul. Can this be placed behind the media unit? Looks like an interesting solution (although the product you linked only supports TVs up to 60 inches)!

I don't have even an inch of leeway on either side to the TV mount can only go in 1 place.

Paul.

I'd ignore the size, it's a suggestion more than anything. The important thing is weight limit, since your buying an LCD you don't need to worry. I think it needs to sit on top of the stand but the idea is you put the play bar on top of the base of the stand obscuring it.

There are others available, Google pedestal tv stand

jjbomber

bigboss said:
Thanks Paul! This seems to suit my needs perfectly. The stand is 28cm deep, giving just enough room for Sonos to sit in front of it. I won't even have to place it on the base if the base is an issue!

Could you get a carpenter/ cabinet fitter to custom make a stand? This will also mean that you can raise the TV to your desired height, depending where you need the eye level to be.

Thanks. I have asked my carpenter about it, he has suggested to buy directly from the shops which will be much cheaper. I'm limited by space anyway The TV is 84.1cm high, and the space I have is 100cm before touching the clock. I need about 10cm clearance at the bottom, for the Playbar So I only have 6cm to play with, in terms of height adjustment.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Generally on Wall Mount brackets there are a variety of holes to drill and screw through.

Don't use any of the central ones where they would have run the vertical drop for your mains power and use all the ones on the edges of the wall bracket.

If your going into brick or even the timber frame I am pretty sure it will gold the weight.

Use a heavier weight screw and wall plug

I eventually went for this one in the 65-inch version (can't see the larger version on Amazon anymore). Cost only £37, but that was the only one which swivels, which was important for me to reach the connections at the back in an otherwise tight space. This is a very well built stand, and supports my TV very well.

Thanks for the suggestion Paul!

ellisdj said:
Generally on Wall Mount brackets there are a variety of holes to drill and screw through.

Don't use any of the central ones where they would have run the vertical drop for your mains power and use all the ones on the edges of the wall bracket.

If your going into brick or even the timber frame I am pretty sure it will gold the weight.

Use a heavier weight screw and wall plug
Thanks ellisdj! Given that the space I had was 150cm for a 147cm wide TV, I decided against wall mounting as it would've been very difficult to access the back of the TV for connections.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts