Optimum phones for a Galaxy S3

SteveR750

I use my S3 a lot, probably more so than my domestic hi fi system, including in the car since I subscribe to Spotify premium. All tracks are synced at "extreme quality", though I haven't got as far as loading any lossless files into the SD card, as Spotify with my current phones sounds very impressive: Etymotic HF3 or Grado SR80. However, much as I like both phones, each have their pros and cons - the etys are so open and dynamic and detaled, but lacking in any real bass punch; it's there, just not obvious. The tope end also seems lacking in detail. The Grados on the other hand have a much warmer sound, sweeter and more extended top end and bass, but sound muddy in comparison.

Would I get much of an improvement by using Sony XBA3ip or even the 4ip? Bizarrely the non iPhone versions are even more expensive, but am assuming that the ip versions are sonically compatible with android phones? What else is there that makes sense to consider - what about using a Fiio amp? Is it possible to get a digital out signal from an S3, or would it simply act as line amp boosting the volume only?

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend looking at the headphones first. I used to have the SR80 and I think I know where you are coming from. I have heard much better, but do they have to be portable or closed? As far as the DAC goes, you're in luck as the GS3 does support 'standard USB audio output'. It doesn't support every DAC, but there is a decent list of ones that do work, lets just say it supports way more than the iPhone and the value will be better since you wont be paying tons of cash to Apple to unlock the digital signal.

Check out post number 488 on the following link (from DanBa):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/488

This is a list of USB DAC/amps that apparently work with the GS3 even though they were not intended to. There are a bunch that are built to work from android phones and iPhones and PCs and this list is growing: Sony PHA-1, Venturecraft Go DAP X (V-Moda VAMP Verza is a copy of this afaik) & the CEntrance Hifi M8. Since they support the iPhone out of the box their prices are artificially inflated however so be warned about SQ value here.

SteveR750

Thanks, I'd prefer IEMs simply because of space and portability. Plus the Etys have a stunning depth to the sound, bit like wearing contact lenses for the first time after 20 years of glasses.

SteveR750

OK, got the list, but this is the next hurdle:

stock Samsung Galaxy S III > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (micro-A plug inserted in the S III) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

As in how do you set the GS3 to digital o/p?

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
The USB audio out is automaticly selected as long as the OTG cable is connected to the phone and a compatible DAC so you don't have to do anything. If you want it to be portable then I recommend a DAC/amp that's battery powered. The GS3 will not power a USB device like a laptop.

Sorry I can't help you with IEMs, they don't work for me :(.

SteveR750

Thanks QP.

I've decided not to go donw the separate DAC amp route, as I use them mostly when travelling, and carrying phones and a phone around is enough. I'm rethinking the IEM approach - how do the DT7700 limited edition sound compared to the Grados that I've got, are they closed back suitable for travelling, and how well would they work with the weedy output from a smartpnone?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I mentioned them before but I suggest JVC HA S160.

The price may be laughable ... the sound is not.

HifiWorld praised them too.

regards

A

Anonymous

Some good reviews for those £10.00 headphones drummerman. Worth a punt! :)

SteveR750

Only worth a punt if they perform better than the Etymoytics, which good as thse JVCs apear to be, I very much doubt - most of the amazon reviewers are comparing them to £30 / £40 cans. I've listened to several pairs of sub £100 over, on and in ear phones, and none were as good as either of the pairs I already have! I'm beginning to wonder if the impedance curve of BA type drivers is not matched to the output impedance of the Galaxy, hence the rather subdued top end. The lack of bass in the Etys is well known, and I have to admit listening to them via the Dacmagic they clearly go deep enough, and are fantstically dynamic.

It's an itch, and I really should stop trying to scratch it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I wont go overboard about the JVC's, HP's are a very personal choice and comfort comes into it too but try a pair and if you dont like them, give them to a family member. I have listened to fair few headphones to use as portables and many leave me cold, including Sennheisers HD25 II's. The JVC are, imo, superior in sound and comfort. You may feel different.

regards

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Thanks QP.

I've decided not to go donw the separate DAC amp route, as I use them mostly when travelling, and carrying phones and a phone around is enough. I'm rethinking the IEM approach - how do the DT7700 limited edition sound compared to the Grados that I've got, are they closed back suitable for travelling, and how well would they work with the weedy output from a smartpnone?
It's been a while since I've had the Grados, but from memory they SR-80s lacked in bass refinement and massively in power compared to the DT770/LE. The DT770/LE is a bit on the bass happy side but it is very well isolated by comparison, which can cause that. If you want something that's a step above the SR-80's in every way and you don't mind losing a bit of portability (although no more so than the Beyer) then I would recommend the SoundMAGIC HP100.

SteveR750

So in the end I've gone with IEMs because the main use for phones is for travelling, and no matter how good they sound, anything that doesnt fit into a jacket pocket is no use to me on a plane. After reading through dozens of threads on head-fi, i've deicded to try the Sennheiser IE80, which are probably almost at the opposite end of the Etymotic spectrum. Havig done that, I've finally got round to setti ng up Poweramp on my S3, and found that simply click and dragging FLAC files from my PC music library via Kies including several 24/96 tracks has given the phone a new dimension. I'me really impressed with the S3, I guess that Wolfson DAC is a big part of that. It's not as good as the DACmagic of course, but it's a lot closer than the DAC onboard my Asus laptop.

I've even found some cable upgrades for the IE80, but £150?? Maybe I'm being cynical, and even if the materials used justify the cost, I'd beg that such expensive materials are not really going to make that much difference to a £200 ear bud being fed from a PMP such as the S3! Otherwise, for the combined cost of £350, I'd simply buy a better pair of "proper" phones for home use if ultimate SQ was my criteria.

http://toxic-cables.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_71&product_id=106

I'm still looking at using a separate portable DAC/amp, but I'm still not sure which Fiio models work (I think the E7 is, but the new E07 is not according to one amazon reviewer). I've searched for OGT cable, and it appears that this connects to the micro USB port on the phone into the Fiio, which automatically switches the S3 into digital streaming output. Some of these cables are dual design to allow simultaneous charging of the phone, but it's not obvious looking at the cables how that works.....

Duncan1977

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
If going down the portable DAC route (I can only comment on FIIO), ensure that "USB Charging" is switched off on the DAC else it will not work (will try to draw too much power from the phone).

Albeit you have commited to the IE80s (I had their older brother, the IE8 - which are good), another recommendation from me would be for the next step would be the Monster (don't laugh!!) Trumpets - surprisingly deep yet clear sound...

SteveR750

Had the IE80s a few weeks now. Fiddly to get the position right and therefore the seal, partly because of the offset shape. Once you find the sweet spot they are mightily impressive, as fast and agile sounding as the Etymotics but a much wider tonal range. I expected a much more robust bass, but the treble is sweeter and more extended also.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts