Optimize Stereo Experience - NYC Studio

km.ipj

Jan 1, 2021
Visit site
Hey, happy new year to all - new to this board but been lurking for a couple of years now.

Needed some help with this 2.1 stereo system I've assembled in my small NYC studio apartment: NAD T 758 + pair of KEF R900. I use Amazon HD and Spotify to stream the music. Below pic shows that my room layout doesn't allow for placing the two speakers in a straight line (have tried all other room configurations, unfortunately this cannot change). I have so far 'corrected' this via DIRAC and sounds significantly better with it. Had the following few questions in case anyone case help.

- Any further additions to the system hardware to make the sound improve significantly (amps, wires, speakers etc)

- Would a center channel speaker make sense. I mostly listen to music but sometimes do watch TV/Music too. I have a feeling the dialogue can be improved if I add a center channel.

- While I tried to test A/B Spotify vs Amazon HD and couldn't hear a very drastic difference, would love to have people's opinion here. I would definitely prefer Amazon HD over Spotify, but the crappy UI of the Amazon in BlueOs (NAD) makes life much easier when browsing for new music on Spotify.

- While I can't change where I live, any other tips / suggestions re speaker placement?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 7

jjbomber

- Would a center channel speaker make sense. I mostly listen to music but sometimes do watch TV/Music too. I have a feeling the dialogue can be improved if I add a center channel.

- While I tried to test A/B Spotify vs Amazon HD and couldn't hear a very drastic difference, would love to have people's opinion here. I would definitely prefer Amazon HD over Spotify, but the crappy UI of the Amazon in BlueOs (NAD) makes life much easier when browsing for new music on Spotify.

- While I can't change where I live, any other tips / suggestions re speaker placement?
Welcome to the forum. Happy New Year.

Yes to the centre channel speaker, especially as you are listening in an apartment.

Tidal are doing 4 months for $4, so it is worth trying that for 4 months on Hi-Res. If there isn't a drastic difference, Spotify is far and away the easiest to use. Try Tidal Master for 4 months and see how you get on.

km.ipj

Jan 1, 2021
Visit site
Thank you - I'm thinking of getting the center as you suggest, especially for movies / TV where dialogue seems muddled unless I crank up volume (which makes other sounds too loud)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts