Optical (toslink) connections and soundcards on desktop PC.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Im a new enthusiast for hifi after blowing some hard earned cash on a denon amp and mordaunt-short speakers. I will be listening to music from my PC and currently have an creative audigy 2 soundcard.

I am interested in linking in a dacmagic via optical but am unsure how exactly they work. I have an optical out connection from my motherboard NOT from the soundcard. Does this mean it will utilise the mobos onboard sound card (undoubtedly rubbish) or does it utilise the audigy indirectly? Consequently, will i need to buy a new soundcard with a optical out directly on the back to be able to connect to a DAC via optical or will the optical connection on the main/mother board suffice?

Sorry if this is a stupid question I scoured the forum and couldnt find the answer.

Thanks in advance,

John

A

Anonymous

Unless your PC is a very odd one, what goes out of the optical jack is just as good as anything. Just plug it into your DAC and enjoy the music.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I would agree. in the audio settings, you will currently have your soundcard selected. Change this to your on board sound, and send the info into your DAC, which will have the biggest influence on sound quality. Many people are of the belief that optical is optical is optical, so you should be fine. at worst, it means your soundcard is redundant.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

So you are saying if i spent 140 quid on upgrading my soundcard to an Asus Xonar and using that optical out instead of the onboard sound id notice no difference in sound quality between the two? Or at least a lot less difference..?

A

Anonymous

Essentially, the external DAC is bypassing the pc components. If the link is from the mobo or the soundcard, the sound quality is exactly the same. I have the DacMagic as a source connected to my soundcard via optical. If I had a mobo with optical out, I would remove the soundcard from my system entirely, as it is redundant.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
jonstorm:

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

So you are saying if i spent 140 quid on upgrading my soundcard to an Asus Xonar and using that optical out instead of the onboard sound id notice no difference in sound quality between the two? Or at least a lot less difference..?

Yep, As the previous poster said, you are essentially bypassing anything the pc will do to the sound.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Errr, the OS and its sound handling architecture will effect SQ. There are steps that can be taken to remedy this.....try looking in my useful posts.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
PJPro:Errr, the OS and its sound handling architecture will effect SQ. There are steps that can be taken to remedy this.....try looking in my useful posts.

OP, i did you a disservice not mentioning this, but dont know much about it. PJ's posts would probably see you right tho.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts