OPPO DIGITAL SONICA DAC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Troy62 said:
I’d be interested to see how you find the Oppo as I’m looking for a new pre amp to go with the Audiolabs. I was considering the Yamaha Wxc 50 like you but wasn’t sure it would be good enough. The Oppo fits the bill nicely on paper and would enable me to lose my network player. I’ll be following Your thread to see how you get on. Don’t suppose anybody has experience of how the Oppo would fit in with the Audiolabs

Not really an anwer to your question but I think you will be very pleased with either. The 8000A was often upgraded with the addition of separate power amp(s) yet it is the pre-amp section that is much the weakest part of this design so there is definite room for improvement there.

Both models have their operational quirks and the Sonica is more advanced and sophisticated as the price suggests, though I doubt the sound differences will be that huge. The WXC50 is immense value so I would require the Sonica to really offer something substantially more, whether sonically or operationally.

emperor's new clothes said:
Hi BS,

Sounds fiendishly complex, if you don't mind me saying so. You have a CD/DAC, Streamer/DAC, AV amp with more DACs and built in streaming and a OPPO203 multi disc player/DAC already? Another DAC making 5? Instead of increasing boxes and spagetti, you could sell the 203 and Yamaha CD player and replace both with the Oppo 205, which has dual identical DACs to the proposed Sonica DAC and is allegedly a very talented disc player and digital hub. Just a thought. If you are only going to stream compressed Apple music, no Dac will make a silk purse out of a sow's ear as my Gran used to say. The AV amp probably does a good job of streaming with digital out to the 205 thus could reduce the box count by one more.

I have sold my SBT streamer as I now play Radio Paradise lossless Flac to my Marantz SA14 USB in from an iPad. Sounds superb for internet radio, but might see what a streamer can do when radio P release their new RP player with FLAC - currently only available via the app. SQ way better than Apple Music and equal to Tidal given enough bandwidth.

Absolute sounds review of the OPPO205 describing its versatility and quality.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/oppo-digital-udp-205-multi-format-disc-player-and-dac/

NB I have not heard any of the above.
If you see this, ENC, how are you connecting your iPad to the Marantz CD player? (I was thinking that I could use USB from my old MacBook Pro, but seems I need lots more RAM and a specific ap as well, so have abandoned that route).

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi...how do you find the Gaia 3 floor isolators. Will they also make a difference on vitrified tiles over solid concrete. Or are they meant only for suspended wooden floors.

Sorry to hijack your thread Balck Sabbath :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
It’s ok Newlash I kind of asked the same thing because I was still thinking about the Dali rubicon’s and wanted to no what the rubicon’s sounded like before he used the isolation feet on them. .

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Nopiano,

Sorry for the delay, but locked out again. Might just give up!

I have an old MB Pro too and was not impressed with the SQ to the SA8005 so not bothered trying with the SA14. Too much digital noise.

Just use a standard apple lightning to USB and plug in front USB. Start the RP app, toggle disc/input from Cd to usb mode and the marantz sees the conection and says Direct iPod. Press play on the remote or on the app - takes several seconds to buffer first whole Flac file - Marantz remote also controls pause and skip on the ipad.

Hope this helps. SA14se a truely versatile digital hub - can even adjust the SQ slightly with filter 2.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
It’s ok Newlash I kind of asked the same thing because I was still thinking about the Dali rubicon’s and wanted to no what the rubicon’s sounded like before he used the isolation feet on them. .

Again sorry for delay. Only had the Rubicons 2 days before collecting the GAIA3s on loan. An amazing difference, tightening the bass with much better definition. Opened up the soundstage and more musical with better timing. Guess I had more bass overhang than I realised - a real hifi killer, IMHO. The Opticons had sat on the same granite slabs but on atacama isolation pods that worked OK in my tricky room. The Opticons are now on spikes through to a carpeted concrete floor. Sounding very good about 28cms from the rear wall. Jordan Accoustics were very entusiastic about the GAIAs and they were proved right in my room. Auditioned the PMC25.24s and Spendor D7s there, but went with the Rubicons with no regrets. Guess would have to try in your rooms to assess the GAIAs, but certainly worked for me.

Hope this helps. If locked out again, am giving up. happy listening

emperor's new clothes said:
Hi Nopiano,

Sorry for the delay, but locked out again. Might just give up!

I have an old MB Pro too and was not impressed with the SQ to the SA8005 so not bothered trying with the SA14. Too much digital noise.

Just use a standard apple lightning to USB and plug in front USB. Start the RP app, toggle disc/input from Cd to usb mode and the marantz sees the conection and says Direct iPod. Press play on the remote or on the app - takes several seconds to buffer first whole Flac file - Marantz remote also controls pause and skip on the ipad.

Hope this helps. SA14se a truely versatile digital hub - can even adjust the SQ slightly with filter 2.
Thanks very much. I must book a day out to experiment!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts