OPPO DIGITAL SONICA DAC

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I was wondering what other people think of the OPPO DIGITAL SONICA DAC I’ve been reading around at the reviews and most reviews are really positive expect what hifi review 3 star rating .

I am seriously thinking of buying one but was wondering how it would connect to my hifi as the reviews I’ve read said to get the most out of the Oppo you need to use the balanced XLR inputs but also I read the RCA connection is also balanced .

And currently I am using the Yamaha wxc50 connected by co-Axis though the back of my Yamaha CD player because it’s onboard Dac is better then the wxc50s onboard Dac so I couldn’t connect the XLR inputs because they are being used by the Yamaha CD player so wondering if I connected the Oppo.by co-Axis still I would to get the benefit from the Oppo’s Dac like you would if I was using the XLR inputs .

but for £800 I think the Oppo is a bit of a bargain considering what Dac it uses

the things I’ve read is you can use it as a pre-amp to connect to a power amplifier or connect to a normal amplifier or active speakers .

Hifi+ review .... link http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/oppo-digital-sonica-dac/

insider9

Really depends on how good it is. Normally you'd connect both you CD player and streamer digitally to DAC and connect DAC to amp using balanced connections.

That would mean you're only using CD player as a transport.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The Sonica is, in some ways, best thought of as a 'all in one' system. It will stream from your network, from a local usb drive and from online services such as Tidal and Spotify, If you need to, it can also stream from a hand held device ower Bluetooth or Airplay. It has digital inputs for legacy components such as a CD player or a TV, asyncronous usb for use with a computer and even a pair of analogue inputs.

All of these are fed to a ESS Sabre dac, then via digital volume to a balanced output stage that drives both balanced and unbalanced outputs. The outputs can also be set to a fixed level in order to feed an integrated amp or pre-amp. I think the Sonica is configured as to be best used as the hub of a system, rather than as source component or dac, but given the state of the art chipset, I am sure some users may want to use it simply as a dac.

Using it as a source adds a layer of complexity, you may need to select inputs on both the Sonica and/or the amp, which I would find a pain, connecting a CD player to the Sonica by spdif coax or toslink, then to the amp using the balanced outs will give you the required functionality but is a little ungainly in my view.

Positives include the inclusion of DSD support and the latest ESS chip, reputedly the sweetest best sounding yet, but this apart, there are downsides such as not fully implemented gapless playback and a less than comprehensive control app. If you can make the functionality work for you, this looks like a very interesting product, the Sonica and a pair of AE1a actives might be all you ever need.

drummerman said:
Good internal build if a little ... meh ... on the outside.

I particularely like Modwright's valve conversion

http://www.modwright.com/modifications/oppo-sonica-dac-network-streamer-modification.php

Then again, one could just add a valve buffer stage at a fraction of the cost.

I would suggest if you don't like the sound a dac is producing then paying more to modify it makes little sense. You could just spend a bit more, or less, and find a DAC that does work for you.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
My intention was to replace the Yamaha wxc50 for the Oppo Dac as I used the Yamaha wxc50 for streaming but not its built in Dac as I used my Yamaha A-S2100 Dac instead .

My main reason for wanting the Oppo Dac is for its Dac as well as for its streaming capabilities but would have to use it in a different way as I have been doing with the Yamaha wxc50 .

so my thinking is I would have to use the XLR input on the back of my Yamaha A-S2100 amplifier or use the RCA connection instead of using my CD player Dac as this would be pointless upgrading to the Oppo .

i am not sure if I could have the best of both worlds where I turn my CD player into a transport and still use the Oppo as a streaming device ?

But without a demo I do not no how good the Oppo would be in terms of quality and functionality and how well I can integrate the Oppo Dac into my Setup

and do you think it would be a upgrade over the Yamaha wxc50 as they both do the same job but obviously the Oppo Dac will be a lot better and if I brought a stand-alone Dac with the same chip inside you would be looking at a £1000 .

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The functionality is easy enough, though you have some choices. First thing is to connect your CD player to the Sonica, use coax or tosslink to your choice. Input selection for all your sources is done on the Sonica, then...

Option 1. Set the output to fixed and connect to the As2100 using a balanced cable. Adjust the attenuator and phase to suit and use the amp as normal.

Option 2. Connect as Option 1 but set the outputs on the Sonica to variable. Set the volume on the As2100 to about halfway and leave, you can then control everything, including volumw on the Sonica.

Option3. Use unbalanced connectors from the Sonica to the As2100 'Main in', the As2100 then acts purely as a power amp. As Option 2, everything is controlled by the Sonica.

Your choice.

insider9

What is the main goal here? Is it reducing box count? Is it sonic improvements? You only have one set of balanced inputs on your amp.

Playing your CD player via Oppo Sonica would make little sense to me. You could use a cheaper transport if indeed Sonica's DAC outperforms the Yamaha.

On the other hand if your CD player sounds better than Oppo then buying it as a streamer only makes little sense. From what I've seen Yamaha MusicCast app looks better than the one used in Oppo.

I'm afraid the only way to tell would be to buy it and compare against the Yamaha. Make sure you get it from someone that has good return policy.

Oh and if it is indeed that you want to reduce box count I would also suggest a setup where you keep WXC-50 and run it via UDP-205. You then could sell both your 203 and Yamaha. This would likely be quite cost effective too.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
What is the main goal here? Is it reducing box count? Is it sonic improvements? You only have one set of balanced inputs on your amp.

Playing your CD player via Oppo Sonica would make little sense to me. You could use a cheaper transport if indeed Sonica's DAC outperforms the Yamaha.

On the other hand if your CD player sounds better than Oppo then buying it as a streamer only makes little sense. From what I've seen Yamaha MusicCast app looks better than the one used in Oppo.

I'm afraid the only way to tell would be to buy it and compare against the Yamaha. Make sure you get it from someone that has good return policy.

Oh and if it is indeed that you want to reduce box count I would also suggest a setup where you keep WXC-50 and run it via UDP-205. You then could sell both your 203 and Yamaha. This would likely be quite cost effective too.

As I said earlier, the Sonica is best utilised at the heart of a system, this makes large sections of your Yamaha Cd and amplifier pretty much redundant.

Using it as an add on to an existing system seems odd, unless you simply want the latest ESS dac. As insider9 says, it rather depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Basically take advantage of the new Dac chip it’s self and replace the Yamaha wxc50 for the Oppo in its place that why I am asking the questions to see if it’s worth while .

if I run the Oppo from RCA from the back of the Yamaha amplifier this will do the same job as the Yamaha wxc50 ? I would of thought that way I could carry on using the CD player with the balanced inputs separately instead of using it like I have done .

does this sound right

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
In my opinion if you buy the oppo, you are paying for functionality and features that your wxc-50 already has. So your net investment on the actual dac capability is reduced. If you are happy with the wxc-50 as a digital streamer, I think there are better sonic gains to be had by going for something like the chord2qute or the newer qutest. These are straight line DAC's, with no extra functionality. Max bang for the buck for sonic gains in my opinion.

insider9

You can do this Sabbath but you said it yourself Oppo seems to sound best via its balanced connections. If it sounds better than Yamaha CD player you're onto a winner but it will effectively make the Yamaha CDP redundant. If it doesn's sound as good as the Yamaha CDP what's the point?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I have had the Yamaha wxc50 since it was first released but at the time of me buy the Yamaha wxc50 I knew the Dac was better inside of the Yamaha CD player then the Yamaha wxc50 own Dac so I have always used it though my Yamaha CD player as I can select the source input on my CD player so I use the co-axis input and then stream though the CD player .

if I just buy a standalone Dac it will cost me a £1000 to buy the new cord Dac that’s coming out so buying the Oppo is the cheapest option how I see it for that kind of quality Dac but weather the Oppo Dac is like my Oppo 203 Dac I do not no but you will see when you come round and maybe have a chat about it as it’s easier to explain in person .

insider9

I've been considering how to improve my digital end for a while. You're right it will definitely be easier to talk in person as many things get lost in writing. If you have an opportunity to grab a Sonica from a dealer for home demo I'll lend you my ears and we can test it against the Yamaha.

I know we're going to have a nice list of kit to listen to already. And I might even be able to pick up something on top of that from Rick at Musicraft. As it is looks like we could easily sit all day and listen to what we've got already :)

davedotco said:
insider9 said:

As I said earlier, the Sonica is best utilised at the heart of a system, this makes large sections of your Yamaha Cd and amplifier pretty much redundant.

Using it as an add on to an existing system seems odd, unless you simply want the latest ESS dac. As insider9 says, it rather depends on what you are trying to achieve.

+1

Use the dac in the sonica for everything. There is little point in building a system where everything has an inbuilt dac. Completely pointless but a good sales pitch for manufacturers.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes I no I’ve got the house free till 4pm until my wife and little one get home I’ve told them to eat out because my little one will freak seeing a stranger in the house lol .

I am currently using Apple Music for a streaming site at the moment as I got 3 months free before having to pay anything and I kind of like how Apple Music works and your be able to choose what music you want to listen to when you come .

i doubt I will have the Oppo Dac before you come afraid because I want to demo one really before handing over the money and I do also like the look of the new cord Dac that’s coming out which is a lot more money .

but wanted a quality Dac really something that’s a lot better then the Yamaha CD player own Dac then turn the Yamaha into a transport then but obviously I still need a streaming device so that’s why when I see the pictures of the Oppo I thought that would be ideal as it looks similar to my Yamaha amplifier but in a small version of it .

insider9

No worries at all. I'm not sure if I manage to stay till 4pm as not sure what time my son finishes. I'll bring some music on a flash drive and I'll show you how to get a 3 month trial of Tidal too :)

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi BS,

Sounds fiendishly complex, if you don't mind me saying so. You have a CD/DAC, Streamer/DAC, AV amp with more DACs and built in streaming and a OPPO203 multi disc player/DAC already? Another DAC making 5? Instead of increasing boxes and spagetti, you could sell the 203 and Yamaha CD player and replace both with the Oppo 205, which has dual identical DACs to the proposed Sonica DAC and is allegedly a very talented disc player and digital hub. Just a thought. If you are only going to stream compressed Apple music, no Dac will make a silk purse out of a sow's ear as my Gran used to say. The AV amp probably does a good job of streaming with digital out to the 205 thus could reduce the box count by one more.

I have sold my SBT streamer as I now play Radio Paradise lossless Flac to my Marantz SA14 USB in from an iPad. Sounds superb for internet radio, but might see what a streamer can do when radio P release their new RP player with FLAC - currently only available via the app. SQ way better than Apple Music and equal to Tidal given enough bandwidth.

Absolute sounds review of the OPPO205 describing its versatility and quality.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/oppo-digital-udp-205-multi-format-disc-player-and-dac/

NB I have not heard any of the above.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks I totally understand where your coming from but the only Dac I use for music is of my Yamaha CD player as my Av and Oppo 203 are just for films only and I am not using the Yamaha wxc50 Dac .

changing the subject back to the Dali rubicon’s as the rubicon’s are more efficient then my opticon’s and the speaker cones are different do you think this is why they sound a bit rich in bass as I still keep thinking about the rubicon’s

and you said you brought some different feet for them as well which helped but what did they sound like with the standard feet ?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Basically take advantage of the new Dac chip it’s self and replace the Yamaha wxc50 for the Oppo in its place that why I am asking the questions to see if it’s worth while .

if I run the Oppo from RCA from the back of the Yamaha amplifier this will do the same job as the Yamaha wxc50 ? I would of thought that way I could carry on using the CD player with the balanced inputs separately instead of using it like I have done .

does this sound right

The latest 9038 Pro from ESS is reported to have higher measured jitter in quite a few applications from different manufacturers. Some now use the older chips from the company for better performance.

Not sure if ESS have modified the chip now but the issue was mentioned in a recent HifiNews review and lab report (P.M).

Still, not bad to find such an expensive chip (relative to others) in a sub £1k product of such versatility.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I’d be interested to see how you find the Oppo as I’m looking for a new pre amp to go with the Audiolabs. I was considering the Yamaha Wxc 50 like you but wasn’t sure it would be good enough. The Oppo fits the bill nicely on paper and would enable me to lose my network player. I’ll be following Your thread to see how you get on. Don’t suppose anybody has experience of how the Oppo would fit in with the Audiolabs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts