oppo bdp105 compare against seperates

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Good morning,

the oppo bdp105eu or 105d must have the most consistent high reviews of any product I have read about. How good is it? How good does it compare to hi Fi seperates? What is it comparable to regarding disc spinners, streamers and pre amps ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Some people have bought the BDP105 as a source for two channel based systems, allowing them to play CD, SACD and DVD-A, music from hard drives and memory sticks, as well as streaming from computers and NAS drives. With digital inputs supplied so that digital sources can use the onboard Sabre ESS DACs, how many CD players offer this sort of flexibility?

It is, in my opinion, roughly on par with the Audiolab 8200CD (which uses the same DAC), which although is cheaper, doesn't provide the features that the BDP105 has. Obviously it will have a slightly different sound, so it is worth getting a two channel demo against other players to see what you like. Add to that their stability, and these players are a cracking bit of kit, and quite a bargain when you take into account everything they can do.

I haven't tested it as a pre-amplifier as yet though, and one of the other benefits is being able to plug it directly into a power amplifier.

I would have added a CD player to my AV system as I do like to hear music reproduced as well as possible, but my BDP103 seems to do a good enough job for me not to worry about it at the moment.

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Oppo for a while, but I found the interface to be really sluggish & slow.

Browsing through your audio collection over DLNA is really a pain.

Now I just use a dedicated computer with Jriver MC and an iPad as remote for my multimedia needs, far more enjoyable & responsive.

As a disc spinner it's certainly not a bad machine & sound quality wise I had no complaints.

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
What multi channel power amplifier would you recommend as a good partner for the BDP105eu that would excel with music and movies?

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
CraigDS said:
Good morning,

the oppo bdp105eu or 105d must have the most consistent high reviews of any product I have read about. How good is it? How good does it compare to hi Fi seperates? What is it comparable to regarding disc spinners, streamers and pre amps ?

I own BDP-105 for about an year and it is a superb two channel DAC + pre-amp and many seperates at higher price range can not even compare to this. It is very clean and extremely low noise floor. I did not do one to one comparision but I had Classe CP-800 and Classe SSP-800 before this. I liked Classe SSP-800 more than Classe CP-800 for two channel duties and the BDP-105 comes very close to SSP-800 and for my kind of listening, it easily beats the CP-800. CP-800 is not as musical and SSP-800 is very very musical and sweeter. BDP-105 in isolation sounds as good but some tracks, from memory, I remember them to be a tad nicer with SSP-800.

I would just pair an Arcam P-7 or P-777 and have a great 2 channel + HT set up. As a streamer Oppo works fantastic too.

And the catch? Yes, the cath is user interface to browse music or DLNA or as a streamer is not the best out there. It feels like Windows 95 in iPhone era. But this could be easily fixed with an Apple TV or your choice of front-end but there were some HDMI sync issues on the HDMI inputs in the past. So better test this out before you buy.

If it is primarily for Discs, then this is hard to beat especially at this price range. As a USB Dac it is wonderful and as a pre-amp it does the job and gets out of the way as any pre-amp should. Streamer is a great add on, if you are fine with the interface. I understand that Oppo app for iPad is good and helps out here, but not tested it. Oh yeah, almost forgot, it does HT very well !!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts