Oppo BDP-83SE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Good point Garth Man
emotion-21.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Garth Man:wait a minute, didn't you guys and girls review the Sony 760 as better then the standard Oppo??? and that's way cheaper.....

Yes, we did. But we haven't reviewed this SE version, and if it's not going to be sold in the UK as an official European Oppo model we won't be doing so.

However, not too sure what point you're trying to make...

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Rather unbelievable that you can reach that conclusion based on a spec sheet...

Just answering the above question. Concluding that the Oppo having Audio upgrades is hardly going to really change the rating or performance (especially picture performance) currently the standard has set. Sooo other players that will hit the Market around the time this player actually arrives will have the advantage of updating their upscalers, chipsets etc.

I'm just saying that I don't think its worth the extra cash, in it's just improving the audio and nothing else, especially when the Sony performed better overall
emotion-2.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Anyway, it's a moot point anyway; I suspect Oppo will sell a relatively small number of the SE players compared to sales of the standard one, and I doubt anyone at Sony's going to be losing much sleep over how many Oppo sells in total.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Not AFAICS: new model has what's claimed to be a significantly upgraded analogue audio output section, will sell alongside the standard one, carries a $400 price premium over the standard one's $499.

My first thought is "how much offboard DAC can you buy for that?" Not much, if you're thinking of multichannel multiformat, so like the '83 it looks like a lot of player for the money on spec.

Seems odd that they'd let the european launch, and their reputation to some extent, go to pot to concentrate on a limited US SE model though.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, but as is now a matter of record, when we published my first impressions of the player, and subsequently the magazine/online review, we were led to believe if was a matter of when it would go on sale, not if, and to a great extent in response to very vociferous public demand.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Indeed, but as is now a matter of record, when we published my first impressions of the player, and subsequently the magazine/online review, we were led to believe if was a matter of when it would go on sale, not if, and to a great extent in response to very vociferous public demand.

do you think oppo just used you for the great free publicity - best setup ever - send andrew a free machine promise a uk launch load of free press in what hi fi and online - never release it and ride the wave on us moded machines sent to the uk

bet the marketing boys are still patting themselves on the back

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:do you think oppo just used you for the great free publicity - best setup ever - send andrew a free machine promise a uk launch load of free press in what hi fi and online - never release it and ride the wave on us moded machines sent to the uk

No, I don't think that at all, principally because the machines carry different model numbers, the player we had came from the Oppo distributor in Sweden, not the States, and I think they have managed to turn off more potential buyers than they will ever have encouraged to buy through the current importer/modifier of what are, after all, US market machines unwarrantied by Oppo when they have been modified.

And they didn't 'send Andrew a free machine'; the company (or at least Opposhop in Sweden, who genuinely seem as dismayed by this turn of events as any disappointed potential buyer) sent a review sample, just as any other company does.

skr1

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
and I think they have managed to turn off more potential buyers than they will ever have encouraged to buy through the current importer/modifier of what are, after all, US market machines unwarrantied by Oppo when they have been modified.

Andrew......... I Beg to differ on this comment and so would others.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts