Oppo BDP-80 review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
kaotician:No, in the sequence of events:
1) WHF won't review any Oppo products, citing non-UK retail outlet as reason;

Oppo declare intention to open UK outlet;

WHF run review;

Oppo pull plans to open in UK.

Make of those facts what you will.

Good conspiracy theory, except of course we have reviewed Oppo products obtained via its European online shop in the past, we often get products to review ahead of their general availability, and of course the product we reviewed isn't available for anyone to buy. On a grassy knoll, with the candlestick, in the library.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:kaotician:
No, in the sequence of events:

1) WHF won't review any Oppo products, citing non-UK retail outlet as reason;

Oppo declare intention to open UK outlet;

WHF run review;

Oppo pull plans to open in UK.

Make of those facts what you will.

Not quite correct - we'd reviewed (and highly rated) several Oppo DVD players previously. But they were in general UK distribution, whereas the Blu-ray players never have been,

I stand corrected -

1) WHF won't review any Oppo Blu Ray products, citing non-UK distribution as
reason;

2) Oppo declare intention to open UK outlet;

3) WHF run
review;

4) Oppo pull plans to open in UK.

Make of those
facts what you will.

D

Deleted member 2457

the_lhc:Andrew Everard:

the_lhc:It's pretty simple really Garth, the magazine reviews stuff that is actually on sale in this country. The Oppo isn't, so there's nothing to review.

And there you have it: you couldn't ask for an answer from a much higher authority, could you?

And don't you forget it...

emotion-2.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
kaotician:I stand corrected -
1) WHF won't review any Oppo Blu Ray products, citing non-UK distribution as
reason;

2) Oppo declare intention to open UK outlet;

3) WHF run
review;

4) Oppo pull plans to open in UK.

Make of those
facts what you will.

Stand up again, you're about to be corrected once more. You're still implying some conspiracy you can't see doesn't exist, even in the face of several answers from staff on the magazine.

JohnHolmes

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
They don't seem to have a problem buying them over there.

another site is a uk forum right?

I fancy a Oppo to replace my Panny BD35 one day, they seem to be available from crt projectors and I've seen them advertised at idealhomecinema.co.uk.

No rush to get one at the moment, my panny if a little slow works well.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
JohnHolmes:They don't seem to have a problem buying them over there.

Doesn't anybody listen here any more? Anyone can get hold of them but they're still grey imports, that's why they won't get reviewed.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Ok, this is not a comment about whether WhatHifi should review or not (that has been debated enough I think), but only on how I perceive the sale of this product.

It might be the situation is different in UK, but to me it sounds like the Danish situation.
I do not see anything grey about the product or how it is imported. This is 100% legitimate business done by highly respected suplliers, with the awareness of Oppo.

Now, I haven't done a market research on this, but I would expect that Oppo appreciate this business, now that they didn't pull of the launch themselves.

And to be very frank, the majority of buyers will not know there is anything different about the way this product is sold. It is only nerds like us (meant purely in a positive way
emotion-1.gif
)

JohnHolmes

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:JohnHolmes:
They don't seem to have a problem buying them over there.

Doesn't anybody listen here any more? Anyone can get hold of them but they're still grey imports, that's why they won't get reviewed.#

tbh who cares if they are grey imports or not? They come with 2 year warranty from a supplier with a good history of service.

Grey import or not I would still buy one, and I didn't say anything about reviews. All I said was that the other forums seem to think highly of Oppo and SVS products which don't get the same praise as much on here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts