oppo BDP 103D

wawr

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi all.

Just about to start up- dating all my home cinema kit, we are moving to a new house in July and will be converting the garage to the dedicated cinema room.

I have chosen my amp - Anthem MRX710 and the projector Sony HW55ES now however its time to think about the blu-ray player, it must be 3D. I am at the moment drawn to the OPPO 103D, £600 is about my limit at the moment as i know within about 12 / 18 months I will probably be looking to up grade this again.

So before fully committing to this player I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas / views as to another player I could demo ??

Thank 's in advance for your views

With regards to your projector, have you considered this? Similar performance as the HW55 at a bargain price:

http://www.avforums.com/review/sony-vpl-hw40es-hw40-sxrd-3d-projector-review.10331

Do you definitely want the Darbee edition Oppo? Opinions are split about the artificial processing of Darbee. I would suggest you demo it before purchase. If you're not going to use the Darbee processing, Oppo 103 is equally good. You can't go wrong with the Oppo.

wawr

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
With regards to your projector, have you considered this? Similar performance as the HW55 at a bargain price: http://www.avforums.com/review/sony-vpl-hw40es-hw40-sxrd-3d-projector-review.10331 Do you definitely want the Darbee edition Oppo? Opinions are split about the artificial processing of Darbee. I would suggest you demo it before purchase. If you're not going to use the Darbee processing, Oppo 103 is equally good. You can't go wrong with the Oppo.

thank you for your reply, Yes your right I will deff give the new sony HW40ES a demo, but i thought for almost half the price of the 55ES there must be some compromise in quallity somewhere ?? - BUT a demo is definitely a must before i buy.

Same goes for the OPPO 103 with and with out the darbee processing !!

The only difference between the HHW40 and HW55 is lack of dynamic iris in the former (which is artificial processing, and most people usually keep it turned off anyway) and 3D glasses are not included (you can buy them separately). Everything else is exactly the same. A demo will help you decide.

wawr

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
The only difference between the HHW40 and HW55 is lack of dynamic iris in the former (which is artificial processing, and most people usually keep it turned off anyway) and 3D glasses are not included (you can buy them separately). Everything else is exactly the same. A demo will help you decide.

Wow thats great to know BIG thank you - looking like it will be the HHW40 then !!

wawr

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
You seem no know quite a lot about home cinema, can i please ask your opinion about the components im putting together,

sony projector (HHW40 OR 55ES)

Anthem mrx710

Oppo 103 or 103d

Grandview 7foot fixed frame screen

B&W 600 series speakers 7.2

I will by end of the year changing my speakers to the Keff Q series again it will be 7.1 or 7.2 ?? Kef Q900 front Q600 centre etc ....

your opinion will be greatfull

Many thanks !!

Your setup looks very nice, (no idea about the screen though). If the room is relatively bright, consider Draper ReAct 2.1 screen.

For speakers, if you're saving £1000 on your projector by going for HW40, why not consider something like Kef R series or Monitor Audio 6AV12?

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
With regards to your projector, have you considered this? Similar performance as the HW55 at a bargain price: http://www.avforums.com/review/sony-vpl-hw40es-hw40-sxrd-3d-projector-review.10331 Do you definitely want the Darbee edition Oppo? Opinions are split about the artificial processing of Darbee. I would suggest you demo it before purchase. If you're not going to use the Darbee processing, Oppo 103 is equally good. You can't go wrong with the Oppo.

If you are planning to get the projector professionally calibrated you would be better with the HW55. The iris is not only Auto but has the ability to be set to manual enabling finer tolerances on the calibration. Side by side there is a big difference but only if calibrated. You also may struggle to find the Oppo 103/5EU as officially it has been discontinued and replaced but the 103/5D. As always though as advised, get a demo.

jacobmorrison

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
simonlewis said:
bigboss said:
Officially discontinued? I can still see the models on their website:

http://www.oppodigital.co.uk

The 103D is on their website not the 103, which i presume has been discontinued... :?

It's not one of the highlighted players but the complete product list is at the bottom giving a link to:

http://www.oppodigital.co.uk/ecommerce/product/BDP-103EU.aspx

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes the 103eu is discontinue now in favour of the darbee edition. There are still a few around at places such as Peter Tyson but not many. The darbee is worth the extra 100 quid anyway for novelty if nothing else.

the 710 is a great amp and the improvement over my previous yamaha 2020 is obvious. However the Oppo 103d does not do a bluray picture any better than my 50 quid panasonic in the bedroom. So no great shakes on that despite the hype. But the build and features like darbee and multiple channel out might make it worth the money to some.

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
simonlewis said:
bigboss said:
Officially discontinued? I can still see the models on their website:

http://www.oppodigital.co.uk

The 103D is on their website not the 103, which i presume has been discontinued... :?

Yes, it finished some time ago. As mentioned some of the larger shops may still be holding stock but I would hazard a guess that there won’t be many left.

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Oddly, in the greatest comeback since Lazarus. Oppo emailed me a couple of days ago to say they have some 103EU's on the water. Should be available in 2-3 weeks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts