Opinions on Quad clone amps

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Whilst lazily browsing eBay, I found a number of Quad clone power amplifiers like this one.

Does anyone have experience of these? Curious why they are reasonably priced for their rated performance.

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Well, if you take the development costs out of a product and only have the production costs, it's possible to sell them at a much-reduced price and still make a profit.

Of course the down-side to this is that you are stealing!

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Petherick said:
Well, if you take the development costs out of a product and only have the production costs, it's possible to sell them at a much-reduced price and still make a profit.

Of course the down-side to this is that you are stealing!

As I understand it, they buy in cheap components from China, which clone the original design, then they assemble and sell on. I guess it is a fine line between stealing and "being inspired by" a design.

I'd also like to see if they are built to an electrical standard and would question the 'normal' use in the warranty. What is abnormal use when it comes to power amps?

Would you really go for one of these when second-hand real Quad 405s are going for about the same price?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts