What to choose. NADC338 or Quad Vena II?

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
I am looking to buy either of these. On paper the NADC338 is better. Does anyone have any experience with these amplifiers? I really love the design of the white Quad Vena. But is it a better buy if I go with the NAD?

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
what sources do you intend to use?

Optic for TV/Movie sound.
Chromecast for spotify or any other music streamer.
Phono sometimes.

I suspect the Quad will sound better, but the NAD has a few more conveniences like Spotify Connect and Chromecast.

Would you be so kind and explain why you think it will sound better? I know power is not everything but the NAD have 50 W in 4-8 ohm with dynamic range up to 80 W. As the vena have only 45 W I am afraid it will not have power enough to sound big.

Optic for TV/Movie sound.
Chromecast for spotify or any other music streamer.
Phono sometimes.

Would you be so kind and explain why you think it will sound better? I know power is not everything but the NAD have 50 W in 4-8 ohm with dynamic range up to 80 W. As the vena have only 45 W I am afraid it will not have power enough to sound big.
the difference in power is negligible, its all about how it is delivered.
what speakers nwill these amps be driving?

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
A couple of years ago you had a Primare i21. Is this prospective amp to replace the Primare? And what budget do you have?

The old primare broke down...I do not miss it. It was a huge amp. I know peeps in this forum are all about the big amps and quality sound. I also want the best quality in sound, but design in my eyes are just as important to me..and I prefer smaller amps.

You have a really good memory.... :D

Last edited:
The old primare broke down...I do not miss it. It was a huge amp. I know peeps in this forum are all about the big amps and quality sound. I also want the best quality in sound, but design in my eyes are just as important to me..and I prefer smaller amps.

Depends what amp is the best for connecting your sources. No point in buying an amp with connections you don't use.

No, it isn't all about size, otherwise the likes of Cyrus wouldn't be so popular.

Might be worth looking at Marantz PM 7000N. It's full-size but hey nothing's perfect.

Reactions: Al ears

I looked up your posts - I’m not an elephant, unfortunately!

Smaller amps are a challenge, but on that basis I’d choose the Quad, because (though I admire a lot of NAD’s designs) it is neater and not so plain. Plus WHF were cool about the NAD sound.

However, looking at Audio T, Richer Sounds and Sevenoaks - the biggest dealers around the UK - I finally found one I’d choose if forced to give up my current amplifier.

This Yamaha, currently a bargain at £619. I realise it’s normal size. But it has everything, including 100wpc and tone controls. Looks stylish too.

(In practice, I still have my Primare I32 boxed up, in case my other kit blows up, so I’d use that)

Reactions: Noddy

podknocker

I am looking to buy either of these. On paper the NADC338 is better. Does anyone have any experience with these amplifiers? I really love the design of the white Quad Vena. But is it a better buy if I go with the NAD?
I had a Quad Vena 2 and although it was small, built like a tank and had all the connectivity I needed, the volume control went wrong, just after the warranty had expired. IAG wanted over £100 to repair and return, but I declined. Had a few issues with IAG products. They own so many brands and I feel they have lost focus, especially with their part sourcing and quality control. I would go for the NAD, if I was looking for an amp at this price.

Reactions: Al ears
I had a Quad Vena 2 and although it was small, built like a tank and had all the connectivity I needed, the volume control went wrong, just after the warranty had expired. IAG wanted over £100 to repair and return, but I declined. Had a few issues with IAG products. They own so many brands and I feel they have lost focus, especially with their part sourcing and quality control. I would go for the NAD, if I was looking for an amp at this price.
Yep, the phrase 'pies and fingers' spring to mind.

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site

Yep, the phrase 'pies and fingers' spring to mind.

Do you think this is problem that occurs alot, i.e. Quad have bad quality?

podknocker

With IAG owning so many brands, I think they are using the same parts inside the different brands and ranges and if these are poor quality parts, they can go wrong within many products. I do think it's a combination of poor part selection, to save costs and a lack of thorough testing.

A smaller company probably pays more attention to the parts used and how these integrate within the product and there will be more testing. With a large company, there can be a lack of focus on each brand and an assumption that a part can be used in any product and it will simply work and doesn't need the rigorous testing.

I've owned several IAG products and I won't buy from IAG again. I'm hoping Leema don't end up being snapped up by the IAG monster, before I buy a Leema amp. I won't buy one, if this happens!

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

podknocker

My Quad Vena 2 motorised ALPS pot started giving me issues, just outside warranty. My Omnia has buttons and a digital volume control, so that's a relief, although the Omnia needed a servo version update to help it read CDs. Poor thing, £1599 and struggling with a 40 year old format. There must be a sprinkling of components, from shared bins and suppliers and I just won't trust their stuff again. Having issues with every IAG device has put me off.

Last edited:

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
Generally Quad are pretty reliable, always used to. No idea about their modern stuff.

My above comment was about IAG owning so many well regarded brands.

With IAG owning so many brands, I think they are using the same parts inside the different brands and ranges and if these are poor quality parts, they can go wrong within many products. I do think it's a combination of poor part selection, to save costs and a lack of thorough testing.

A smaller company probably pays more attention to the parts used and how these integrate within the product and there will be more testing. With a large company, there can be a lack of focus on each brand and an assumption that a part can be used in any product and it will simply work and doesn't need the rigorous testing.

I've owned several IAG products and I won't buy from IAG again. I'm hoping Leema don't end up being snapped up by the IAG monster, before I buy a Leema amp. I won't buy one, if this happens!
My Quad Vena 2 motorised ALPS pot started giving me issues, just outside warranty. My Omnia has buttons and a digital volume control, so that's a relief, although the Omnia needed a servo version update to help it read CDs. Poor thing, £1599 and struggling with a 40 year old format. There must be a sprinkling of components, from shared bins and suppliers and I just won't trust their stuff again. Having issues with every IAG device has put me off.

I think I get confused because there a words I do not really know of. Like IAG, or Omnia. Googled and I think Omnia is a amp....I guess the company is called IAD and owns Audiolab and Quad and some other brands and they might share parts that have the same bad quality....

Reactions: Noddy
I think I get confused because there a words I do not really know of. Like IAG, or Omnia. Googled and I think Omnia is a amp....I guess the company is called IAD and owns Audiolab and Quad and some other brands and they might share parts that have the same bad quality....
IAG is correct.

Omnia is an Audiolab all in one device.

Reactions: Hobnob

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I'd go with the NAD, I think it looks really cool, I've been buying NAD amps for 35 years so you know I like the look and the sound. I'm experiencing 20+ years reliability with them and good support out of warranty with 7oaks even with an item listed as out of support.

Reactions: Hobnob and Noddy

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
I'd go with the NAD, I think it looks really cool, I've been buying NAD amps for 35 years so you know I like the look and the sound. I'm experiencing 20+ years reliability with them and good support out of warranty with 7oaks even with an item listed as out of support.

To bad Quad is owned (?) by IAG. I mean I always heard so much good about the brand, and just from reading these post I get a bad view of IAG...

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org

Any brand might have bad quality parts. AudioLab amps get excellent reviews, people have taken the cases off, and the components look good, with lots of space for heat dissipation. People rave about Chord and Arcam, my Chord Mojo went belly up, my Arcam Solo Movie has premature dementia. You can’t draw conclusions from one or two failures.

valkyrieorion

Sep 8, 2020
Visit site
I’ve had the Quad Vena II twice now. My first one had some weird noise with any speakers playing that sounded like a faint helicopter. My second one I have currently and it works well with any of my speakers (triangle Comete and ELac Carina)but I have it with Dali Menuets SE and a Node 2i streamer as well as a Thorens turntable. Easily plays loud enough into our dining room and living room. My only gripe is it suffers from some interference when my iPhone is near and I get a text.
I like NAD also and have a c399 and have had a d3045, but not heard the one you’re considering. I prefer the HP out on the quad also over any nad I had if that’s a thing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts