opinion between Sony KDL46W3000 or Pioneer 248XD

smarky

Sep 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi, Im looking for a TV,i have standard sky and watch dvds and dont watch a tremendous amount of sport. i know that the pioneer is top of its class but i was impressed with the display of the sony tv as well. Just wondered what peoples opinion was in regards to the 2 TV's. Would appreciate your comments.

A

Anonymous

Oooh this is a tricky one. These were my 2 choices too (well, the 40W3000 was), i was mightily impressed with the Plasma's handling of SD content, however when almost side-by-side and playing Sky Sports HD, i thought the Sony was better. I opted for the Sony partly for this reason, but also because i wanted an integrated stand with sound system (RHT-G800), and then the free PS3 that goes with it which is great.

I don't think there's much in it to be honest, i just liked the idea of the Sony being 1080p and as future-proof as you could get at the moment.

smarky

Sep 22, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, just a question where did you get yours from and how much? I have found it in the sony shop for £1799 with 5 years warranty?. So your overall pleased with your buy?, the guy in the sony gave me such a good demo, and i was impressed with the plasma dont get me wrong, but was torn between them and just wanted a independant opinion.

A

Anonymous

Give me a few hours for a reply, i've literally just had it delivered and am just setting it up!

I bought it from the Sony Centre, i could have saved myself about £300 all-in buying it via the net, but for peace of mind i shelled out a bit more, plus the 5 year on-site warranty is pretty good.

A

Anonymous

I think u r talking about the pioneer 428xd. I was in the same predicament till i saw the 2 tvs side by side. The pioneer beats the sony hands down. The sony cant match the way pioneer easly handles fast moving images, and the black levels of th pioneer literally blow away the sony's picture quality. Admited the sony is the one of the best lcd tvs, but the pioneer is a class above what any other hdtv can achieve. Well thats my opinion anyway! lol

A

Anonymous

I'm not going to argue about the SD picture on the pioneer, this was indeed better and i'd be very worried if it wasn't seeing as the resolution is a lot lower.

But i wasn't impressed by the HD content on the pioneer, Sky Sports HD was playing, and it didn't look as good as the Sony, which will always come into it's own when utilizing HD content.

Anyway, i've got standard SD Sky setup now, on an old standard Sky box, and i'm pretty impressed, even ITV looks pretty good!!!

If you want any pics, let me know...

A

Anonymous

Can u tell me where u saw the 2 playing next to each other?? Even this very mag rated the 428xd as a better tv. Someone correct me if im wrong.

A

Anonymous

Yeah it was a hi-fi place near where i live in Surrey. They had the 42inch, and the 50inch, and the 40W3000 and the 46W3000. IMO the Pioneer just didn't look as impressive with Sky Sports HD.

So what if this mag rated it the best, i'm sure other mags/forums have rated other tv's "the best" as it's quite a subjective view, and difficult to compare like for like considering they're different technologies...

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="Axum"]
Yeah it was a hi-fi place near where i live in Surrey. They had the 42inch, and the 50inch, and the 40W3000 and the 46W3000. IMO the Pioneer just didn't look as impressive with Sky Sports HD.

So what if this mag rated it the best, i'm sure other mags/forums have rated other tv's "the best" as it's quite a subjective view, and difficult to compare like for like considering they're different technologies...
[/quote]

Can I ask where specifically - I live in Surrey too and although I've seen both TVs in separate shops, it would be great to see them side by side. Right now I think the Pioneer looked better, but as you say it comes down to what works best for you - after all you're the one that's going to be looking at it!

A

Anonymous

but the general consensus across most mags is that the pioneer is better. Check out cnets review on it, they say the picture is better than any other 42inch tv. Was it a test room that u viewed the tvs in or on the shop floor?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts