Open ended TV question!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I need a hand as i'm a bit overwhelmed by the choice of LCD TV's out there. I need to get a new LCD to replace the hulking 32" flatscreen CRT sat in my front room at the moment. Due to the size of the room I'm only really going to be able to fit a 32" LCD in its place but which to go for?

To narrow it down I obviously want the best HD experience i can get on a 32" but from what i've researched there is little point in going 1080p on a screen this size so do i go for 1080i instead? As for input I have telewest HD into the house already and a PS3 so would like to properly use the Blu-Ray functionality of that. Any suggestions or pointers would be greatfully received.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Wo wo wo, the only reason not to go for 1080p is if you are not going to use a 1080p source, in my honest opinion. A smaller TV will not look any worse than a bigger screen when both are playing 1080p. As it stands, getting 1080p should be done if you can afford it, go for 24fps, if you want futureproof. As you are going for HD sources, 1 of which does 1080p, I think it would be a bit silly not to go for the p. I say futureproof, but I think we all know that things are moving swiftly, so futureproof is not what is used to mean. If you dont have an external amplifier and speakers, think about what you want from your TV's speakers. SRS TruSurroundXT to full Dolby ProLogic II are available, all to try to immerse you in sound without the need for the external hardware.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="josur"]
To narrow it down I obviously want the best HD experience i can get on a 32" but from what i've researched there is little point in going 1080p on a screen this size so do i go for 1080i instead?

[/quote]

There's a 10-set, 32in TV Supertest in our current issue. There are no Full HD 32 sets at present - and you really wouldn't see the difference on a set this size - but plenty of TVs in the test are capable of taking the 1080p Blu-ray feed from your PS3 and downscaling it to suit their resolution very nicely.

We tested every set in the test with native 1080p content as well as standard TV, HD TV, and DVD, and make it very clear what handles what!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="richardjlarby"]Wo wo wo, the only reason not to go for 1080p is if you are not going to use a 1080p source, in my honest opinion. A smaller TV will not look any worse than a bigger screen when both are playing 1080p. As it stands, getting 1080p should be done if you can afford it, go for 24fps, if you want futureproof. As you are going for HD sources, 1 of which does 1080p, I think it would be a bit silly not to go for the p. I say futureproof, but I think we all know that things are moving swiftly, so futureproof is not what is used to mean. If you dont have an external amplifier and speakers, think about what you want from your TV's speakers. SRS TruSurroundXT to full Dolby ProLogic II are available, all to try to immerse you in sound without the need for the external hardware.[/quote]
The differnce being that the visual differnce to the human eye on a smaller screen of say in this case 32"" are negligible when viewing at either 768 or 1080 vertical lines as the pixels are so small as where on a 50""+ set the same amount of pixels fill a larger area thus making a true differnce to the human eye, so why pay a premium for 1080P on a 32"" when you cant really see a real differnce over 1080i????

A

Anonymous

It is when there is only one field of the 1080 shown in each frame when viewing 1080i. So its not the prescence of more detail, its the smoothness generated from having a whole frame displayed in one sweep.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="richardjlarby"]It is when there is only one field of the 1080 shown in each frame when viewing 1080i. So its not the prescence of more detail, its the smoothness generated from having a whole frame displayed in one sweep.[/quote]
All images shown on a LCD or Plasma are displayed progressivly and not interlaced, Also the smmothness of movement of a image at 720p or 1080p is exactly the same. The true point of 1080p over 720p is that it has extra detail which as I said is lost on a screen of 32"".

A

Anonymous

I was referring to the smoothness of 1080p over 1080i, I completely agree with you that, on a small LCD, the difference between 1080i and 720p is pointless. I was, origianlly, referring to futureproofing. With an LCD which accepts all HD formats, regardless of whether it can display them, you have the desired futureproofing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts