Open Back - Alternatives to grado SR80i?

ched999uk

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I need open backed headphones so I can hear doorbell and phone etc. Mainly needed for movies and 80's pop music. I have been reading reviews and the Grado SR80i seem to get great reviews apart from a few issues. I do listen to movies/tv for maybe 3 hrs an evening so comfort is important. My budget is £100 ish. I have sennheiser px200 that use for portable use and they have served me well over the last 9 years or so.

I am hoping that for my budget (£100 ish) I can get good quality sound, a comfortable fit and an open back design.

So can anyone suggest alternatives to the SR80is or should I just buy the SR80is and hope they are comfy?

Thanks

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I used to have comfort issues when I had a pair of Grado's (RS2i) until I bent the headband into the correct shape. I was sceptical about bending my £500 pair of headphones at first but, don't be shy, just give them a good bend into a more forgiving arch should you have comfort issues. This should resolve most problems, if its the c**py plastic headband which causes you a problem on the SR80's just buy an aftermarket leather padded one.

ched999uk

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Cheers for the replies. Must admit I am now trying to decide between the sr80i and Sennheiser HD558. Seems like SR80i are better sound wise but HD558 are very comfortable and good sound. I am a little put off the SR80is by comfort but you have suggested that there is not a problem, plus the slight issue of the build quality of the SR80is and they maybe need a bit of superglue to reattach the rod if it comes loose. But the SR80is seem to be significantly better sound quality.

Decisions, decisions........

Thanks

ched999uk

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Cheers. I found a shop relatively close that had the SR80i and the Sennheiser HD 558. SR80i were demo pair and 'well run in' but the HD558 were fresh out of the box.

The SR80i sounded great, HD558 virtually as good but not quite as good in highs and mids. The SR80i were comfy for the 15 mins I was wearing them but the HD558 just seemed to gently surround my ears beautiffully. The SR80i had twisted cables but were not too difficult to un twist (so no real issue there), the build quality was not great For example it was as if the cup pivot semi circle (connects rod to cup) had not had the burrs removed, making sharp edges. The HD558 were well finished with no sharp edges just soft velvet type material.

Must admit that I am leaning towards the HD558 hoping they might burn in a little and sound closer to the SR80i. I do want comfort as sometimes I might work for 12 hrs straight on computer with headphones on.

If only I could find some headphones with the sound quality of the SR80i and the comfort of the HD558!!!!!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru. Stunning.

It's a newish brand, but seriously they are very good indeed, and for 12 hour sessions, I imagine they would be just perfect.

They do a standard TMA-1 too but that isn't as comfortable for what you are looking for.

caesar44

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
JoelSim said:
AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru. Stunning.

It's a newish brand, but seriously they are very good indeed, and for 12 hour sessions, I imagine they would be just perfect.

Aiaiai has been out for a while, but not sufficiently appreciated in my opinion. They create great headphones though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts