Onkyo TXNR609 loud clicking noise

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello,

I've had my 609 for about two weeks now and i'm very happy with it but it does seem to have one problem and that is a loud intermittent clicking sound that comes from the receiver, like some sort of switching is occuring in the unit. It's the only receiver i have owned that has had this strange noise so i'm not sure if this is completely normal or not so i'm here to ask you all what's going on here?

What's strange is just how random it is as during a bluray it doesn't seem to happen but on any other input it is very random in nature and can happen at any time with no obvious cause and effect, for example, i was playing Deus EX on ps3 last night and it done it several times with no obvious cause...the volume level was consistent and no settings were changed yet it done it six or seven times and the same is true for everyday tv viewing.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here and if it's normal or indicitive of an issue please?

I'm probably worrying about nothing but some reassurance would be welcome.

Nick.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sounds like a momentary loss of digital lock between console and receiver, maybe caused by glitches in the disc encoding, rapid changes of reading on the disc as you play the game or something like that. Would cause a momentary muting of the receiver while lock is re-established, maybe too short to be even heard/seen on screen/through speakers.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Andrew,

That does make sense but would that also explain the issue occuring with everyday normal tv viewing? As the tv is connected via ARC i would assume that it's the same cause of the issue or am i wrong about that?

You are completely correct about me not seeing or hearing any loss of connection through my speakers or on the tv, i am just a little concerned that the amp has an issue as my previous Denon 2310 amp showed no sign of this sort of issue. It doesn't distract from my enjoyment of the amp, it's just a tad worrying.

Regards,

Nick.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Oldboy said:
That does make sense but would that also explain the issue occuring with everyday normal tv viewing? As the tv is connected via ARC i would assume that it's the same cause of the issue or am i wrong about that?

Yes: there can be very slight breaks in the digital TV datastream, edits in programmes, and of course changes between content and ads (for example) when picture or sound format changes.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Thank you very much Andrew.

It's very reassuring to know that the amp is not at fault here...phew that's one potential problem i don't need to worry about.

Many thanks again for your assistance, it's much appreciated.

Nick.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Update:

It turns out the receiver was faulty as the clicking started to get much more frequent over the last week or so and after contacting Onkyo they were of the opinion that it was a hardware fault, i was offered a repair by the UK service agent but didn't like the idea of losing my receiver for up to 28days!

I contacted my retailer (Richer Sounds) and they were of the opinion that it sounded like a capacitor issue and was perhaps power related and although they didn't have to (under the terms of their t&c's) they offered to replace the receiver and so i have a new 609 that doesn't seem to suffer like the last one thank god, so it seems the receiver was faulty all along and it wasn't clicking because of signal drop out.

Has anyone else had this issue or am i the only one?

A

Anonymous

Actually, now that you come to mention it..... I've also started hearing a "clicking" noise during use of said amp. It might have been there all along, but only now I'm noticing it. Mine does it after around 40 mins of use, which leads me to believe that it is the fan kicking in (not much clearance around the amp). However, I can't say that I've noticed (or heard) the fan. No delay/loss of picture or sound, just this single clicking noise. Been meaning to write on here for a couple of days and this post has just prompted me to reply.

Other than that, great amp!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts