Onkyo TX-SR875 keeps cutting out - HELP

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Whenever I play my Onkyo TX-SR875 amp above volume 88 it cuts out. Help please. Amp is connected in 7.1 to pairs of B&W 683 (front), B&W684 (rear), B&W 685 (mid), B&W ASW608 (bass) and B&W HTM62 (centre). Whole system was new for christmas (thanks santa). Amp is well ventilated, but does get very hot. System was set up using supplied microphone. Connected to PS3. Any advice would be appreciated as system cost 7000€ and I would like it to work!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
88 sounds amazingly loud to me - just tried it on mine and it's ear-splitting. It would equate to about +4dB on the alternative scale, which is the one I tend to use.

Most of the time mine runs at about -25 or so on TV, and gets cranked up to -10 max for big action movies. Which would be about 74 on the volume scale you're using

Sounds like you may be running the amp into clipping and the protection device is cutting in. Oh and I'm hardly surprised that it's running a bit hot at those kinds of levels.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I think you must have something set up wrong if you are turning it up to that volume. I have a lesser powered receiver and as Andrew said, the volume never gets near to the plus numbers and I live in a detached house with no one to worry about.

skr1

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Im a novice when it comes to your choice of speakers . I would check your spec requirements

and run again the auto set up and check the cable . Should that fail to show up the fault ? (Turn on the hearing aid and move 4 blocks) To be serious Call Onkyo. Hope you find the fault. Please keep us informed.

A

Anonymous

I want to be there when you turn it up that loud! With that equipment it must sound like your house is going to collapse!!!

Are you sure all the speakers are connected correctly? All the interconnects firmly in place? If you are doing this on the TV, is your TV volume set really low or something or a setting not correct? That is very, very loud and I would be suprised if any speakers could bear that level of volume for long periods of time...I pitty your voicecoils!

A

Anonymous

88 is when it starts to get loud. The amp has run for a few minutes at 92 before cutting out, that was pretty impressive, you could feel the air moving from the bass and the speakers were really moving back and forth very quickly. The music was very clear, a little like a disco, but then it all cut out. I expect 100 (max) volume would be very impressive, possibly even life threatening. I am not watching films at these volume levels, only listening to music with tv volume at 0. By the way I live in the Spanish countryside and have no problems with neighbours, but my wife does worry that the house is going to fall down. I wish!
I think some kind of protection device is cutting in, but why? Surely the amp is meant to go to 100?
Yes, maybe I am a little aggressive with my musical needs, before this set up I bought a Denon ASR608 (I think that was the number) and blew it up after 2 days, the inside just melted down, but I blame Carlos Santana

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
santana has a lot to answer for,he's kept me awake at night's as i wonder how he wrings some of the notes out of his guitar.

A

Anonymous

Everything was installed by the hi-fi shop who supplied the equipment. The installation engineer was very thorough so I believe wiring is correct. TV is on 0 volume as these high volumes are for listening to music.
See my other post regarding structural damage to house.
To be quite honest with you 88 isn't that loud, when it ran at 92 for a few minutes that was quite loud, but I would like to hear it run at 100. I am looking for a home disco set up! Am now saving up for glitter ball!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As with all amps, the volume control may go round to 5 o'clock, but just about everything beyond 12 o'clock is distortion. I fear for your ears...

And your speakers.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
As with all amps, the volume control may go round to 5 o'clock, but just about everything beyond 12 o'clock is distortion. I fear for your ears...

And your speakers.
[/quote]

That's what I always thought and it always applied for my JVCs...however, my Arcam A32 doesn't reach high volumes until rather high so -20db on the Arcam would have been -30db on the old JVC (around 10 o'clock). It is also electronically controlled which doesn't help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts