Onkyo TX-8050 Network Stereo Receiver home test impression

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I would like to share my first impression about Onkyo first network stereo receiver TX-8050.Also I am new to this forum so please forgive me for my maybe silly naivety.

I have just received delivery of a new Onkyo TX 8050 Network stereo receiver. After long thorough research I hoped that it will be the best chose for mainly streaming stereo music files and weekend Blue Ray movie watch.

I connected it easy to Sony BDP-S580 and to my beloved B&W 685 and B&W ASW 608. I must admit it took me a wail to connect it to home network though. I had to install WMP 11 first and then fiddle with its settings. (Streaming is base on WMP 11 & 12 platforms) In addition I had to find and download plug in for WMP to be able to play FLAC file. Also I had to find and adjust Norton antivirus settings to allow communication in and out with other devices. Finally Once it was done Onkyo picked up my Flac 24/96 , and Hi Res WAV music files and I was pleased with what I heard.

True, crisp, bass rich stereo sound flooded the room. Wide adjustment range for Treble and bass made it easy to fine tune sound for my preference. Streamed Hi res FLAC files sounded so much better than previously owned squeezebox touch pared with Denon RBD X-1000. Navigation is not that convenient compared with squeezebox though. Onkyo has no HDMI output for video so I could not connect it to my bravia. There is only component video output which becoming extinct in new smart TVs . Therefore to find your files you navigate on two row onkyo’s screen.

Played some Blue Rays and I was pleased with down mixed 2 channel PCM sound coming from Sony through coaxial input. Onkyo handled it very well and Good stereo sound was enough for me to enjoy soundtrack. To be faire, in most proper, well acted not silly movies you listen to dialogs and orchestra, therefore 2.1 channel system works just fine or even better for me. I still think that multichannel movie set up works best, but only in rooms specially built for it and speakers placed in correct places where they designed to be placed. My ordinary small british living room simply cannot accommodate 9.2, 7.1 or even 5.1 systems, so I am pleased that Onkyo took this view and produced a proper stereo receiver.

T

the record spot

How on earth did I miss this guy's review - all useful stuff to know! Sounds like a bit of a winner and maybe useful info for Gareth 82 who's shortlisted this amp with a couple of other units.

EDIT: Ah, because it was in the AV receivers section, that'll be that then...!

T

the record spot

The_Lhc said:
Why people don't just use the "Active Topics" option I'll never know...

Well, let's see. I use the hifi section mainly and rarely defect to AV receivers as i) I've no interest in them and ii) this isn't an AV receiver but a stereo one. Then again, this was a one post thread, with no replies, that went on at quarter-to-one in the morning, when I'd not have logged on in all likelihood until later the next day, so even if I had used "View all latest topics", it's likely to have dropped off the list. So, all fairly reasonable to assume that it'd be easy to miss.

Then there's the old "how I choose to use this site's no business of anybody else's" of course. All relevant points now made I think.

T

the record spot

Tried to change it the other day, deleted the original, saved the update, fine. Then added the new one, saved again, not so fine - the old one reappeared! Gave up on it after a few attempts. Might try again in the new year. Sorry for the slightly intemperate reply earlier; life stuff getting in the way I think...

T

the record spot

Ah yes, the lovely Christina. I'll see if I can get her back again...a stunner if ever there was one.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
Ah yes, the lovely Christina. I'll see if I can get her back again...a stunner if ever there was one.

just a quick one RS. heard the mission 751's at a friends recently. most impressesed with the sound, a kinda effortless quality. Didnt like the styling that much though.

T

the record spot

They're of their time to some extent, though the light coloured (maple, cherry?) 751 Freedoms I have right now are nice to look at. Not sure if you had the grills on or off of course. Further, the original 751 is straight out of the "only a mother could love" school, while the 751 Freedom is a little easier on the eye (the main difference being that the bass port sits to the rear on the Freedom, leaving a cleaner fascia should you take the grille off).

Either way, if it's that offensive to look at, it's probably made your mind up for you. Soundwise though, there's nothing out there under £500 to touch them. IMO obviously...!

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
well they suited my mates style, and even sounded very convincing on some low bit rate Internet radio powered by a battered old receiver.

Good stuff

T

the record spot

You should hear them on some top notch masterings...! Lovely speakers, some of the best that a British company produced I think.

T

the record spot

the record spot said:
They're of their time to some extent, though the light coloured (maple, cherry?) 751 Freedoms I have right now are nice to look at. Not sure if you had the grills on or off of course. Further, the original 751 is straight out of the "only a mother could love" school, while the 751 Freedom is a little easier on the eye (the main difference being that the bass port sits to the rear on the Freedom, leaving a cleaner fascia should you take the grille off).

Either way, if it's that offensive to look at, it's probably made your mind up for you. Soundwise though, there's nothing out there under £500 to touch them. IMO obviously...!

Well, a few months on and what do I know. The 751 Freedoms became a pain in the end, mostly due to the excessively rolled off top end that became more and more apparent with further play. The original 751 is a great speaker, the follow-on less so. Works okay with some music, but the Tannoys I have now just put them in the shade.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts