Onkyo SR608 ton NR616 upgrade is it worth it?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello Guys,

I am shopping for a new TV. Planning to get the LG 47LM8600/ 42LM7610, any suggestion here? While looking out I found that there is a promotion with Onkyo to upgrade my receiver from SR608 to NR616. I currently have the Jamo S606-HCS3 package with the 608.

I would like to know if it is worth the upgrade from 608 to 616? What will be the main benefits? The LM8600 is a smart tv and I guess supports network Play. I am also planning to get a Boxee or AppleTV. In this case is it worth the receiver upgrade?

The upgrade is for $440 with a Apple TV free. this is the offer from Onkyo

I need to make this decision ASAP. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Bones

ashton1

Sep 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Bones,

I have not heard the 608, but have just upgraded my 606 for 616, and I am running the Mordaunt Short Alumni 5.1 set speakers.

It has made a massive difference to my system, the surround field is much bigger, it has more punch, dialogue is clearerr, and iI am now immersed into my films again. It is like someone has swapped my speakers, they are now alive and singing! They are not the best speakers by any means, but they have just got a whole lot better.

I know there have been a few issues with the 616 when it was first released, which are easily found via google. Ive not had any such issues, all ive noticed is it does run hotter than my 606. I am looking to upgrade my speaker's next when funds allow to make better use of the amp, and to be able to listen to it at the THX reference level. My poor Mordaunts dont seem happy to play at that level.

My knowledge on home cinema stuff is very basic, and ive gone with my ears on everything ive bought. Clearly my ears are getting more demanding, and the 616 is brilliant for the money. I purchased mine from Severnoaks in the new year sale for £349, which is a steal!

I hope I have been of some help, and I cant recommend the 616 enough. to me it is well worth every penny, and real joy to own
smiley-smile.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The biggest difference over older models is with music. Whether this is down to amplification improvements or improvements on the pre-amp side, I'm not sure. If you want a real step up, I'd look more to the TXNR818, which will bring about big differences on the room EQ side of things too - handy for larger speakers like yours.

Neilf

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
ashton1, I'm looking to upgrade my old Yamaha V461 to a Onyo 616.

I have Mordaunt Short Premier Plus speakers, but I've upgrade the front pair (MS302) to MS902i's (which you can bi-wire).

The improvement I really want to to music. I think the tone/quality of my music is a bit stilted and not as good as even fairly cheap dedicated music systems.

Do you recon the 616 will give a better/more natural music output/sound?

TRENDING THREADS