Onkyo HTS 5105?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Budget constraints have brought about a new plan for my surround sound set up.

My HiFI will be left alone with the speakers not being used as fronts (an option I was considering previously). This frees me up quite a lot as I now don't need to shell out for a either an AV receiver thats good at stereo nor one with pre-outs.

Space is hower an issue so as my starter for ten I will be needing to go with very, very small and compact speakers. I also hope to build a better system over time and like the idea of being able to upgrade one component at a time which I think rules out most all-in-one packages, this isn't really an issue as I have a dvd player already (if I'm being honest) I mainly want the surround for gaming.

I do not need 7.1 for now and wouldn't have the space for the speakers even if I did need it

Which brings me to my question - if I am getting a seperate AV reciver and speaker set (although maybe as part of one package a la HTS5105), is there going to be any real difference in quality between the low budget models?

The onkyo mentioned in the title was in the What HiFi? news recently and the receiver and speakers featured in that package are both on my list of options. I am also looking at the Yamaha RXV361 and the Sony STR DG520 as AV receivers and the Sony DDWG700 as a package. I am finding speakers hard to find in that price range.

Can anyone shed some light on these models or input some suggestions as options for me to consider? Do I believe onkyo that the HT R518 is the 506 in 5.1, in which case it should be the best (shouldn't it?) - but will the onkyo speakers be the best option at that price range?

And one for the what hifi team here - would it be possible to give low budget options an article or review sometime and rate them against each other? I accept some qualtiy will be lost at this price bracket but that doesn't mean there won't be some bargin buys out there - and some will be better than others!

A

Anonymous

Anyone know anything about the really low end AV receivers and speakers? I am struggling to afford anything and keen for surrround thats updgradeable and can take feeds from a few sources rather than a home cinema in a box.

I can get the onkyo package for £315 which is to be honest probably the max I'd like to spend - will I be sorely dissapointed I didn't spend an extra £60-£90? - I can find the Jamo 102's for £180 and guess that VFM they will beat most items, should I just pair that them with the Onkyo R518 (found for £200), will i get extra gain by pushing out to the 506 for £225? Are the Jamo's likely to be that much better than the speakers in the onkyo package that they should be a priority?

If the Jamo's really are that much superior then can I bring myself into budget another way?

What will I lose by pairing them with another AV reciever instead of the onkyo's?.... Richer sounds are offering the cambridge audio 540 for £170, the 340 for £150, They are also offering the yamaha and sony mentioned above for silly low prices - Does anyone know anything about those?

Talk about surround on a shoestring I know but it's all I can afford and I am keen to get 5.1. I just want to be sure that the sound is not offensive before spending my £300 - I would be gutted to spend that, hate it and wish I had spent only £100 more to get something appreciably better.

I would go demo some of this to hear it for myself but nowhere that demos has kit at this budget.

Any response would be much appreciated.

Cheers for reading!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts