Onkyo 875 in gold

Oldenbroke

Mar 11, 2008
Visit site
I have just found a company - Simply Electronics - which claims to be able to supply the 875 in gold.

I know nothing about them other than they have a UK warehouse but may be supplied from Hong Kong.

Does anyone know anything about them and whether or not this is likely to be a sensible purchase?

Cost is ~£950.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Definitely not a European model, which only comes in silver or black. I know the gold version is available in some, predominantly Asian, markets, so I am pretty sure this is one of those. See here.

But I'm not at all sure how the specification or tuning might differ from the ones on sale through regular channels, and for a £50 saving, plus the fact other outlets seem to have it for less, it doesn't seem worth the risk to me.

Unless of course you really want it in gold, but even then it's taking a bit of chance.

Oldenbroke

Mar 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that Andrew. It's a shame the same colours aren't available everywhere...I might have been able to swap it with my gold Denon 2803 without the boss noticing!

Probably wouldn't be able to set it up if the book of words is in Japanese.

Silver it is with £200 off.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Oldenbroke:Probably wouldn't be able to set it up if the book of words is in Japanese.

The manual wouldn't be a problem - you can easily download one in English. The warranty might be a different matter were anything to go wrong.

A

Anonymous

My brother is actually in japan. He'll be back home for two weeks this summer . I'm looking for an amp (like onkyo 606) and speakers package. Price are really less expensive overthere. Could I use japanese stuff without technical problem (input voltage, frequency, any thing else...) if he bring me back these devices ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The voltage is different, for a start - 100V instead of 220-240V - and radio tuning steps can be different. And AFAIK the version of the 606 sold in Japan is a TX-SA606, which doesn't have a radio tuner, I think.

However, there are some shops, for example in Akihabara, selling export models, so it may be possible to find a European voltage/spec version.

But you have to check the warranty situation, and factor in local import duties and VAT - stuff like that

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:Everyone seems to have forgotten the most important factor............The gold one is hideous.....

emotion-21.gif
, but I was trying to avoid that particular value-judgement...
emotion-1.gif

Or perhaps more to the point,
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

I thought that the gold would have been a hit for the Middle East market where they love gold? With the price of gold shooting through the roof, maybe getting a gold Onkyo will be a good "investment" if they use actual gold in the manufacturing process. :)

Seriously, has anyone got any news from Japan regarding the Onkyo 876?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
seakingadvice:I thought that the gold would have been a hit for the Middle East market where they love gold? With the price of gold shooting through the roof, maybe getting a gold Onkyo will be a good "investment" if they use actual gold in the manufacturing process.

Well if it was solid gold for £950, I may be able to overlook the dubious aesthetics......

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
seakingadvice:maybe getting a gold Onkyo will be a good "investment" if they use actual gold in the manufacturing process. :)

Oh, I think they do, in the same way that they use real silver for the silver ones, and real black for the black.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
seakingadvice:maybe getting a gold Onkyo will be a good "investment" if they use actual gold in the manufacturing process. :)

Oh, I think they do, in the same way that they use real silver for the silver ones, and real black for the black.
emotion-1.gif

Wow! If that's the case, then I had better place an order for the Titanium Yamaha AV Receivers as well! :)

Anyone know of any Platinum AV Receivers? :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts