Onkyo 605 on the way and worried about heat?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Apologes in advance but I am new to this "quality" av stuff but here is my query:

After reading up decided on the Onkyo 605 as receiver..now I have heard that it gets very hot...at the same time I am renovating my front room and have a number of options in terms of tv cabinet/shelf in my space constrained flat....question is how much room / air flow should I leave between appliances...height is the critical issue, so I need to know how much space I should leave above the Onkyo's 17cm height at a minimum?

Cheers

Noodle

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Noodle30"]After reading up decided on the Onkyo 605 as receiver..now I have heard that it gets very hot...
question is how much room / air flow should I leave between appliances...height is the critical issue, so I need to know how much space I should leave above the Onkyo's 17cm height at a minimum?[/quote]

From the manual:

"18. If you install the apparatus in a built-in installation,
such as a bookcase or rack, ensure that there is adequate
ventilation.
Leave 20 cm (8") of free space at the top and sides
and 10 cm (4") at the rear. The rear edge of the shelf
or board above the apparatus shall be set 10 cm (4")
away from the rear panel or wall, creating a fluelike
gap for warm air to escape."

If you are using an open stand, you can get away with less - we run an 875 on the bottom shelf of an Atacama Equinox AV, which has only a couple of inches clearance above the amp, but it's open all round.

If you are using any AV amp in an enclosed cabinet, I'd suggest ventilation holes or a grille above and below, som airspace to the either side and, in extremis, some forced air ventilation.

You can pick up mains-powered whisper fans for well under £20, and having one of these pulling air out of the enclosed space, so cool air is drawn in, might be a wise precaution.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]You can pick up mains-powered whisper fans for well under £20[/quote]

Where can you get these fans from? Sounds like just what I need for my setup.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="CaptainHowdy"]Where can you get these fans from? Sounds like just what I need for my setup.
[/quote]

Maplin do them, as do Keene Electronics, RS Components, etc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts