Onkyo 3009 Vs Yamaha 3010 - Closer to Arcam AVR 600 Sound ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
WishTree said:
Just an update.

Did some tests the other day and I picked up an Onkyo 3009 as it offered the best bang for buck. The sound is quite different from Arcam but the combination of Money, looks, SQ made me go for Onkyo! Hey, I still have the Arcam P7 to couple with the new Onkyo. I am still getting used to the new AVR but it is definetly sounds great in AV Mode. I will get the Tannoy Signature DC6T tomorrow. So, in a week or so, I can do a comparision and post more updates.

I have a Marantz Pearl KI some where in the storage. Once I get my new speakers, I will run the Stereo only mode for few more days to do a back to back comparision of the Onkyo AVR 3009 with Marantz Pearl.

wish I had a Pearl KI in somewhere in storage.....

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I will keep trying to talk you out of selling your lovely sounding kit....and if you ever need talked into buying something nice (Classe), just let me know and I'll have a go. :shifty: My AV system: PS Fat/DV79/Sky + AVR600 + Kef Ref 5.1 My Stereo: Linn Majik DS + MF AMS 35i (connected to AVR 600 through Pre-outs) + Kef Ref 205/2 There might be some pics if I ever get round to figuring how...but don't hold your breath.

:) That is very nice! I am trying not to get too attached to things ;) But Classe SSP 800 is totally a different story!

I like your kit.. now I know where the Uni-Q expertise is coming from! Quite excited about the little Tannoys.. finally got to convince the other half into floor standers!!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
moon said:
wish I had a Pearl KI in somewhere in storage.....

:) Well.. When some well hyped piece of gadget goes on limited edition, it become hot when the production stops and it becomes a collectors item. So I thought that would be the case with this KI Pearl. Bought it as an ex-demo some time last year on an impulse but never actually used it. Though it will pick up in value and I am SOOOO WRONG!

Yeah just opened it and connected it for a while. It is ofcourse, mind blowing (in a very delicate way) but could not figure out the way to integrate with Onkyo 3009. I thought I could use the AVR as a DAC but after some wasted time, I only re-realized that all these Processors / AVRs do not output Digital inputs as Fixed Analogue Outs (For ex Zone2) which is kind of sad, again (as long time back I thought I could do this with the Classe SSP 300 and Pathos Inpol2)

I could use it as only a Power Amp which will be such a shame. So I enjoyed the sound as Powe Amp for couple of hours and packed it back quickly as I could do so much better with the P7 in an AV set up!

Getting back to stereo means now I need to get a stand alone DAC as well :(

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
WishTree said:
CnoEvil said:
My Stereo: Linn Majik DS + MF AMS 35i (connected to AVR 600 through Pre-outs) + Kef Ref 205/2

Cno.. Do you use the Analog out or Digital out from Linn? I am guessing Analog and use it as Streamer + DAC

I use the analogue out, as the implementation of this as a streaming solution sounds so good, that I would consider it a "waste" to use another DAC.....I tried an Audio Note 2.1x Signature, and the Linn sounded better with its own Dac.

I see you are looking for speakers on another thread.....I know you are after floorstanders, but the Kef Ref 201/2s give a bigger sound than you would think, and just about fit into your budget (they have boundary compensation for tailoring to the room).

The other speaker that would work really well with the P7, would be the Kef R700, if it has enough room (manual says a min of 9" to rear wall & 1m to side wall).

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I use the analogue out, as the implementation of this as a streaming solution sounds so good, that I would consider it a "waste" to use another DAC.....I tried an Audio Note 2.1x Signature, and the Linn sounded better with its own Dac.

That is good to know as I am also considering a Stereo seperate in parallel (like you did), especially if I let Classe go.

CnoEvil said:
I see you are looking for speakers on another thread.....I know you are after floorstanders, but the Kef Ref 201/2s give a bigger sound than you would think, and just about fit into your budget (they have boundary compensation for tailoring to the room).

The other speaker that would work really well with the P7, would be the Kef R700, if it has enough room (manual says a min of 9" to rear wall & 1m to side wall).

Yes.. I am changing my speaker as well. As I was describing else where, what I miss is the intrsument seperation and I did not notice that in any of the bookshelf speakers. The other day I heard a Denon 2010AE with some Elac floor standers and I was floored by the seperation of instruments on 'Walk of Life' track from Dire Straits.

I figured out in my head (I might be wrong) that a single 6.5" driver vs two or three more than 6 inch drivers in a much larger volume will be able to do this more effectively. I was wrong in the past because with long usage of CM7 and CM9 from B&W at home, I have not eperienced but wanted to give one more shot.

That is when, I managed to get the other half agree for the floor standers, the kind which look more beautiful as well as deliver SQ and do not overwhelm the living room!

As I was mentioning, I got the Tannoy Signature DC6T this morning. I am still running them but I am already impressed. I heard 'Walk of Life' again and it is as I want to be from the depth / instrument seperation wise (I have not even connected the P7 as I want to run in the Onkyo and the speakers for some hours through this night). They say that these speakers take a longer run-in so will run them with out the P7 for few days.

Space-wise, I have constraint with respect to the conrners.. The speakers need to be really pushed into the corners.. They are like 25-30 cm from the side as well back walls. Other half likes the KEF R series looks very much but not the reference series. I too share her thoughts on the looks though I am actually pretty fine with KEF 203/2 (especially the Satin Walnut finish!! Extremely lust worthy for me!!) but I guess that would be the next iteration :( (which some times happen to me in few months, if HiFi stays on top of my head ;) )

From R series perspective, I would say R500 would fit my bill more but with the rear port, I do not want to take a chance !

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I take it that you can't borrow the R500s to see how they would work out?...they are worth the effort especially with the P7

The other thing I will say, is that (IMO), you should never underestimate the effect of cables. I think you need to find out for definite, how much effect the change of cable has had.

The little 201/2s are great and not at all bulky, while being very potent....but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Keep us posted with your findings.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I take it that you can't borrow the R500s to see how they would work out?...they are worth the effort especially with the P7 The other thing I will say, is that (IMO), you should never underestimate the effect of cables. I think you need to find out for definite, how much effect the change of cable has had. The little 201/2s are great and not at all bulky, while being very potent....but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Keep us posted with your findings.

I will try the R500, home demo, for sure.

Thanks for the cables advice. I always thought that if I have a good OFC twisted copper I am sorted but, I am going to put the Proacs back for a litmus test for the cables. I will keep us posted when I manage to do it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts