One for the (Headphone) Experts - Amp Upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello All,

I've been spending a lot of time (and money!) upgrading my headphone set-up as living arrangements have made listing through speakers a bit tricky (working until late, thin walls, etc.)

I've now made the decision to dispense with my speaker set-up completely and am selling my MF A5 and Triangle Zerius'. I've also found I really enjoy listening through my cans and am keen to get the most out of my system, which is:

Sugden Masterclass CD player (replaced MF A3.2)

Chord Chorus 2 interconnect (replaced Van den Hul First Ultimate)

MF X-Can V3 (with X-PSU and Bugle Boy tubes replacing stocks)

Grado RS-1 headphones (replaced Grado S125)

I'm now looking to finish my upgrade with a new headphone amplifier that will match the other components. A few options are:

Earmax (Pro or Silver edition)

Sugden Headmaster

Singlepower PPX or MPX3

This post is really to hear from you guys any comments on the above and any other suggestions. At this stage I'm looking for products with good synergies with my cans and CDP.

I listen to a broad range of music, but generally in the rock sphere. I like a warm involving sound (hence the sugden and RS-1s), but don't want to sacrifice too much on clarity and timing. Budget is circa £750 (proceeds from sale of other kit) to spend on either new or second hand kit.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
maclrc:
Hello All,

I've been spending a lot of time (and money!) upgrading my headphone set-up as living arrangements have made listing through speakers a bit tricky (working until late, thin walls, etc.)

I've now made the decision to dispense with my speaker set-up completely and am selling my MF A5 and Triangle Zerius'. I've also found I really enjoy listening through my cans and am keen to get the most out of my system, which is:

I'm now looking to finish my upgrade with a new headphone amplifier that will match the other components. A few options are:

Sugden Headmaster

Singlepower PPX or MPX3

This post is really to hear from you guys any comments on the above and any other suggestions. At this stage I'm looking for products with good synergies with my cans and CDP.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
maclrc:
Hello All,

Sugden Headmaster

Singlepower PPX or MPX3

Interesting. Can't really comment. But in case you don't get many responses here, you could additionally try the headfi forums.

A

Anonymous

Thanks fr0g, I was planning on doing just that, although you can find you get too many responses on Headfi (several of which contradict each other completely... the essence of forums I suppose.

Am hoping some of the WHF experts could help out, on what I confess, is quite a specific question (fingers crossed)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
maclrc:
Thanks fr0g, I was planning on doing just that, although you can find you get too many responses on Headfi (several of which contradict each other completely... the essence of forums I suppose.

Am hoping some of the WHF experts could help out, on what I confess, is quite a specific question (fingers crossed)

Well if you sort something out (and it isn't from here), let us all know. I am getting very much into my headphone listening as a secondary system, and am contemplating upgrades.
(Currently using the Beresford DAC , and Sennheiser HD595 (from the PC with FLAC files)

A

Anonymous

I'll let you know what I find out (identical post now up on Headfi).

I think more and more people are getting into serious headphone listening at the moment. I feel a large headphone/headphone amp group test coming on WHF...

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
maclrc:
I'll let you know what I find out (identical post now up on Headfi).

I think more and more people are getting into serious headphone listening at the moment. I feel a large headphone/headphone amp group test coming on WHF...

I have been considering one of those made by the manufacturer of my main system DAC (DA9) (which is excellent)

http://www.harmonydesign.se/

but they are a little pricey...

A

Anonymous

I'm now leaning towards either a Woo Audio WA6 (with most upgrades) or an Earmax Silver Edition. However, someone has thrown the Sugden Masterclass back into the mix. I wonder if the paired up Sugdens will have great synergy...

A

Anonymous

As a final update for now, I have ordered a Darkvoice 336SE.

This inexpensive amp (made in China) has a similar sound to the Woo Audio products I am interested in (WA6 SE and WA5 LE), so I intend to use it for a few months and if I really like the sound I will consider upgrading to a Woo.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
maclrc:
As a final update for now, I have ordered a Darkvoice 336SE.

This inexpensive amp (made in China) has a similar sound to the Woo Audio products I am interested in (WA6 SE and WA5 LE), so I intend to use it for a few months and if I really like the sound I will consider upgrading to a Woo.

Woo WA5 LE at 2400 dollars Yikes. Thats serious headphone listening.
Where you getting the darkvoice from?

A

Anonymous

Getting the Darkvoice from eBay (it is the only place they are commonly sold I think - except in China, I guess).

$2400 is only for the stock WA5 LE. Postage is $500! Beautiful amp though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts