One Down - Three To Go

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
The unit is surprisingly sturdy and the overall lack of 'levelity' is down to the photographic ineptitude of the OP.

However, I will grant you that the components themselves are currently not sitting as they should. I fully intend to rectify that this evening. Of course, following the latest in the series of World Domination posts I will be considering some refinements.
emotion-5.gif

Despite the apparent disadvantages outlined, I must say that the system sounds very nice indeed.

What I would appreciate is a few recommendations of a cross-section of music that is recognised as being well-produced. As previously mentioned, Melody Gardot sounds splendid, as does Mike Oldfield, Gordon Giltrap and an acoustic Pendragon set. I need some acknowledged good quality rock recordings to try.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
the record spot:I understand your predicament. I hear these guys can help with rearranging your room. Bit drastic admittedly.
house-demolition-aurora.jpg

I think you will find these guys are perfectly capable of that, thanks!

A

Anonymous

ESP2009:

What I would appreciate is a few recommendations of a cross-section of music that is recognised as being well-produced. As previously mentioned, Melody Gardot sounds splendid, as does Mike Oldfield, Gordon Giltrap and an acoustic Pendragon set. I need some acknowledged good quality rock recordings to try.

here was a recent thread with good recomendations .... most of the recomendations are on spotify

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks - I will check it out later (when doing my holiday ironing/packing
emotion-1.gif
)

I might have some of the CDs myself, but Spotify will do quite nicely, although last night I did a swift comparison of my Brothers In Arms CD and the Spotify equivalent. I swear I could hear the difference - CD wins!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009:I might have some of the CDs myself, but Spotify will do quite nicely, although last night I did a swift comparison of my Brothers In Arms CD and the Spotify equivalent. I swear I could hear the difference - CD wins!

Why would you expect anything else? Spotify uses lossy compression, you'd expect it to sound worse than CD.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:

ESP2009:I might have some of the CDs myself, but Spotify will do quite nicely, although last night I did a swift comparison of my Brothers In Arms CD and the Spotify equivalent. I swear I could hear the difference - CD wins!

Why would you expect anything else? Spotify uses lossy compression, you'd expect it to sound worse than CD.

True, but it's reassuring to know that my kit is performing well enough for me to hear a difference. Spotify is good, and the DAC certainly helps, but hearing a CD vs Spotify demonstrates to me how musical the former sounds in direct comparison. I reckon my experience is just like that of someone comparing good quality vinyl against CD. Yeah, yeah, like I know I'm stating the bloomin' obvious covered elsewhere.
emotion-4.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009:the_lhc:ESP2009:I might have some of the CDs myself, but Spotify will do quite nicely, although last night I did a swift comparison of my Brothers In Arms CD and the Spotify equivalent. I swear I could hear the difference - CD wins!

True, but it's reassuring to know that my kit is performing well enough for me to hear a difference. Spotify is good, and the DAC certainly helps, but hearing a CD vs Spotify demonstrates to me how musical the former sounds in direct comparison.

Ok, just wanted to make sure you weren't taking that to mean that you'd get the same result with lossless sources, as quite a few people here seem to do in order to "prove" that CD is so much better. It's a different kettle of fish, altogether.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
My thanks to those of you who have taken time to take a look and, in some instances, offer sound advice. Sadly, not only has my current odyssey come to a close, but I know there is little more I can do under current conditions. That said, I believe that what I am now hearing is a thoroughly decent sound, given those circumstances.

No doubt I will continue to tinker and succumb to the urge to try a tweak or enhancement here and there, but let's face it, the lack of room for the speakers to 'breathe' and the absence of a decent home for the basic components is not a firm foundation for sonic perfection. I really ought to finish now (and stop niggling the neighbours) as it is getting late, but having listened to a variety of music over the evening, I have to say that the system now provides a really satisfying listen. I do not know what I am missing, having never heard it, and will continue to suspect that I am missing out, but likewise acknowledge that it is a fool's dream to pursue anything better unless we actually move.

Anyway, here are two shots of how it all looks now. I have snuck a few extra centimetres for the speakers in the absence of anyone to deny me. Perhaps this has helped and perhaps I will get away with it. I reckon that until the Sound Police makes an attempt to use the system itself, she will not know any different. I will have to explain the bi-amp set-up sooner or later.

emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts