One awesome set up or multiple less awesome set ups - what do you prefer?

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, this is partly why I am a bit tight and always looking for bargains - the reason being that I have a need for at least 4 decent set ups. One for the kitchen/dining room, one for the living room, one for the bedroom and one for my studio.

The result is that I buy a lot of second hand gear, combined with kit I've owned for yonks.

So, at the mo I have the following:

Living room - Pioneer A400, Marantz CD63 Mk II KI Sig, Acoustic Energy AE109.

Bed room - Onkyo TX-8050, Mission 751.

Kitchen/dining room - Monopulse Model A with as yet unknown bargain amp of some kind.

Studio - got to sort this out, but thinking another A400 with my Cerwin Vega VS10.

All of that lot cost well under £2k. Need to add a few Squeezbox Touches along the way (got loads of stuff on a NAS), but mostly it's done.

So, I guess my question is - would you rather spunk the whole budget on one system, or be happy with slightly less awesomeness spread around a few systems?

For the record, I love the sound coming from any of these set ups. But do sometimes think I would rather spend the whole budget on a seriously good set up for just one room.

But probably not.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I get it - but for me it's not a no brainer, I want good music all over the place, and with the law of diminishing returns I think I would rather spend some money here and there rather than all money here. Having said that, once I sort out a decent amp for the Monopulse I will be a lucky boy.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
With a £2000.00 budget with 4 rooms:

£100.00 budget (+- a bit) for each room with second hand kit.

£1500.00 of second hand kit for main listening room

£200.00 spare for flexibility/repairs.

This is assuming 1 room is primary over the others.

If I had 4 equal priority rooms I would question my purpose in life...

Paul.

I would also put the bulk of the money in the living room. I have a little Yamaha micro system in the bedroom with some mission bookshelves. I have some cheapo Logitech speakers in the kitchen, but with the noise of an extractor fan and frying pan, what's the point of something good? In the living room I have a system which is ace for movies and slightly above ok for music. It's a good compromise. I listen to the bulk of my music on headphones on the move, but watch a movie most nights.

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
One 'uber awesome, all budget blown' set up in the living room doesn't help productivity in the office when you're pining for a better sound. I'm split over 3 rooms, stuff moves around every 6 months or so. Currently spend least amount of time of the 3 in the living room and set ups reflect that. No doubt there will be a change for winter when it's time to light the fire!

jjbomber

Great question.

I guess for most people it will depend on their home. In our home, we usually have my wife listening in one room while I am in another. We have very different tastes. They are also split for TV viewing and Hi-Fi.

So we have Naim Supernait, Hi-Cao, Arcam DVD78, Sky+ HD, Onkyo ND-S1, Panasonic 42'' Plasma, Naim Ariva in the 'music' room. The TV room is Naim N-Vi, Sky+ HD, Sony DVD Recorder thingy, Panasonic 50'' Plasma, Logitech Duet, REL Subwoofer, Kef Reference One, 200C and rears. The bedroom has a Naim Uniti, Marantz DVD, Onkyo ND-S1, Panasonic 37''LCD and a Freesat box thingy. Speakers are Mission 733i. Floor Standers in the bedroom!!!

All three get used regularly, so the systems are not that far out of balance. The bedroom set-up is the cheapest, but that was £3,500. The TV room was about £8,000. The Hi-Fi came in at about £10,000. These were bought back when I had a job!!!

Would I have been better off spending £20,000 on a super system? No doubt it would have sounded better but then the arguments would start over who's turn it is to listen. So for me, a peaceful life meant 3 set-ups with a slightly inferior sound.

What next? Probably a NAS drive of some sort for genuine multiroom. I may also ditch the logitech for a UnitiQute to stream to the N-Vi. At £1,000 they are a bargain, £900 after dealer discount.

Paul.

BenLaw said:
Paul Hobbs said:
but with the noise of an extractor fan and frying pan, what's the point of something good?

You should grill not fry. More healthy and less sound intrusive. You'd probably be able to use the extractor fan more sparingly too :)

Usually do where possible, but I like me some bolognaise :) I use a big deep skillet not a frying pan, but would have felt like a **** saying that.

scene

I've gone for the slowly built up main system in living room, with older kit going to the study (including TT - away from little fingers...) and sonos round the house (with NAS). So I'd go with the invest most in the main (living room) system, and make do (or go with a squeezenbox/sonos type approach) for the rest.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
BenLaw said:
Paul Hobbs said:
but with the noise of an extractor fan and frying pan, what's the point of something good?

You should grill not fry. More healthy and less sound intrusive. You'd probably be able to use the extractor fan more sparingly too :)

Usually do where possible, but I like me some bolognaise :) I use a big deep skillet not a frying pan, but would have felt like a **** saying that.

Fortunate that with my intervention you sidestepped that one :)

Paul.

Nowt wrong with a skillet, but reading it in my head I thought wow, that's possibly the most middle class thing I've ever said... Next step is flooding my Facebook feed with Instagram photos of my dinner!

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Hmm i think like people have said it depends on how much time you spend it those rooms.. I'd say have one system that is your pride and joy and a couple others that aren't as detailed/special sounding but plenty of warmth and boogey facter.. Especially as there's usually other noises happening around.. Unless like jjbomber you have multiple TV rooms.. I have a Cambridge Audio set up in my living room and i prefer having a beefier sound and that cost 10-% of my bedroom set up.. In a couple months i'll have my signiture setup in a dedicated listening/movie room :D Maybe 2.1 or try kef r300's Can't wait!!!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
moon said:
BenLaw said:
moon said:
BenLaw said:
omnibeard said:
Nothing wrong with a skillet, surely?

:grin: Nothing at all, it was Paul who said he felt embarrassed by it.

The only real problem is which Skillet to choose! Is it the fish skillet or the meat skillet.

For bolognese? Are you serious? :grin:

never had fish Bolognese?

Nope! But I guess we need a definitive answer from Paul again....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts