Once upon a time...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
The_Lhc said:
davedotco said:
For example, I know that my tiny active speakers have little output below about 100hz, yet on much music their response is remarkably convincing on a subjective level, I see no contradiction here, just the way it is.

Interesting, as that viewpoint seems to go completely against your argument on the CD/vinyl thread where you've repeatedly expressed the opinion that people should only listen to systems that perfectly reproduce the original recording and anything else "just isn't hi-fi" and emotional involvement/attachment to a system is idiotic. So presumably your system isn't hi-fi and you're an idiot because your comment there seems very much like an emotional attachment to your deeply (or not-deeply enough even) flawed system?

Once again I am being castigated for things I have not said, why?

I have never "repeatedly expressed the opinion that people should only listen to systems that perfectly reproduce the original recording", why are you making this up?

Furthermore where have I said 'emotional involvement/attachment to a system is idiotic", in fact on occasion I have said pretty much the opposite.

I'm not making anything up, go look at your comments on the CD/vinyl comparison thread, everyone who expresses a preference for vinyl gets shot down in flames by you, their systems aren't hi-fi, emotional involvement is wrong, accuracy is everything, over and over, with absolutely no room for compromise from your side and yet there you are with a system that's more limited than most. Ridiculous.

I do not consider myself idiotic because I can not, at this point, justify what I would normally call a proper hi-fi system. I have chosen a simple, inexpensive system to suit my circumstances and taste that will find later use as a desktop system.

Is it limited in what it can do, yes very much so. Does it limit what I am able to listen too, yes to a degree. Is it acceptable as a short term solution in my current situation, yes most of the time. Do I miss my proper system that is in storage, very much so. That is just how it is.

Storage? It costs money to keep things in storage, you already have the system and it's costing you NOT to use it, what's to justify? Not for the first I don't follow your logic.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
davedotco said:
The_Lhc said:
davedotco said:
For example, I know that my tiny active speakers have little output below about 100hz, yet on much music their response is remarkably convincing on a subjective level, I see no contradiction here, just the way it is.

Interesting, as that viewpoint seems to go completely against your argument on the CD/vinyl thread where you've repeatedly expressed the opinion that people should only listen to systems that perfectly reproduce the original recording and anything else "just isn't hi-fi" and emotional involvement/attachment to a system is idiotic. So presumably your system isn't hi-fi and you're an idiot because your comment there seems very much like an emotional attachment to your deeply (or not-deeply enough even) flawed system?

Once again I am being castigated for things I have not said, why?

I have never "repeatedly expressed the opinion that people should only listen to systems that perfectly reproduce the original recording", why are you making this up?

Furthermore where have I said 'emotional involvement/attachment to a system is idiotic", in fact on occasion I have said pretty much the opposite.

I'm not making anything up, go look at your comments on the CD/vinyl comparison thread, everyone who expresses a preference for vinyl gets shot down in flames by you, their systems aren't hi-fi, emotional involvement is wrong, accuracy is everything, over and over, with absolutely no room for compromise from your side and yet there you are with a system that's more limited than most. Ridiculous.

I do not consider myself idiotic because I can not, at this point, justify what I would normally call a proper hi-fi system. I have chosen a simple, inexpensive system to suit my circumstances and taste that will find later use as a desktop system.

Is it limited in what it can do, yes very much so. Does it limit what I am able to listen too, yes to a degree. Is it acceptable as a short term solution in my current situation, yes most of the time. Do I miss my proper system that is in storage, very much so. That is just how it is.

Storage? It costs money to keep things in storage, you already have the system and it's costing you NOT to use it, what's to justify? Not for the first I don't follow your logic.

Since you are obviously an authority on what I have said perhaps you would like to quote me where I have said these things, as far as I know I have never 'shot down' those who express a preference for vinyl, neither have I ever said that 'emotional involvement is wrong'. Just the opposite in most cases.

The nearest I can get to your assertion that I regard 'accuracy is everything' is my statement that I think hi-fi should make an attempt to be as accurate as possible to the recording/performance, within the usual limitations', not quite the same thing is it?

I normally live overseas, my home and my primary system is in storage in my home in southern Spain, at no cost should you be worried about that. I am living temporarily in west London, a somewhat open ended and expensive commitment unfortunately.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
And speaking about so much that's wrong, it's "could have" dear boy, could have, not "could of" which, in and of itself, makes no sense whatsoever...

...unless there's a comma inbetween that is: "...could, of course, be entirely possible..." for instance).

Anyway, I'm just off to renew my subscription at pedants.com...cheeribyranoo! :cheer:

I’ll stay behind and write it out 1000 times.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I try to help a few people with their questions if they're about subjects that I've had experience with. But I already spend far to much time posting on forums as it is and I certainly don't have enough time to help everyone who asks a question so I tend to cherry pick the odd one that I think I can help out the best.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
Personally I rather like the 'idealogical' and technical debates, they can sometimes be extremely illuminating for any enthusiast looking to understand this hobby and get the best from it.

Giving people, particularly those relatively new to the hobby, some background and information on the way things work is I think a good thing, it helps make informed choices which is what the forum is often all about.

One thing I find particularly galling is the split between the objectivists and the subjectivists, there seems to be little common ground which I find odd as, personally, I have no difficulty combining the two 'philosophies' in my own listening.

+1 to all of these points.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I try to help a few people with their questions if they're about subjects that I've had experience with. But I already spend far to much time posting on forums as it is and I certainly don't have enough time to help everyone who asks a question so I tend to cherry pick the odd one that I think I can help out the best.

Fair comment steve....

I have some expertise in some, mainly 'technical' areas, but it appears that such expertise is considered nerdy and 'scientific', a grave sin on this forum it would seem.

Many people who come on this forum for advice, simply want some sort of 'validation' for the choices they have already made, I normally try to avoid these as I have little experience with a lot of the budget equipment that is the subject of so many posts.

I might try to explain when people have no real understanding and are getting things quite wrong but this is frought with danger, a bad case of shoot the messinger, I fear.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
I have no knowledge of anything

Me neither. I do have an abundance of time here though, so I've decided not to let a little thing like total ignorance get in my way and am now going to answer any post that doesn't get an answer within an hour. I've made a start already!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sospri said:
No change there then :)

Actually I've always held to a very strong policy of not offering technical advice unless I'm very certain of my facts, that's why I almost never give technical comments on anything other than Sonos. Not any more however, now it's quantity over quality, as requested!

John Duncan

The_Lhc said:
drummerman said:

Me neither. I do have an abundance of time here though, so I've decided not to let a little thing like total ignorance get in my way and am now going to answer any post that doesn't get an answer within an hour. I've made a start already!

Finally, somebody who 'gets' the internet!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
The_Lhc said:
drummerman said:

Finally, somebody who 'gets' the internet!

Other way round, that internet is SOOO going to get it...

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Sospri said:
No change there then :)

Actually I've always held to a very strong policy of not offering technical advice unless I'm very certain of my facts, that's why I almost never give technical comments on anything other than Sonos. Not any more however, now it's quantity over quality, as requested!

Well, I do have a technical background, and I am generally pretty sure of my facts, but I've rather given up on replying to the "this name cable vs that name cable" questions, anything to do with mains supplies or the directionality of cables - there really is no point arguing with believers.

I also duck out as soon as "science doesn't know everything" gets bandied about (usually by those who have absolutely no idea what science knows or doesn't know).

John Duncan

How about 16 strings:

220px-Mike_Rutherford.jpg

and two drummers:

drums.jpg

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
John Duncan said:
andyjm said:
(usually by those who have absolutely no idea what science knows or doesn't know).

What does science know and not know? Is there a list? Might save some arguments.

When it comes to electrical conduction, science knows quite a lot, and has done for some time. The basic work on conduction and resistance dates back to the 1820s with work by Ohm and others. The theoretical basis for electromagnetic radiation was proposed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 1860s. The work done by both still holds good - later quantum based work showed that at extremes of size, gravity and speed the laws break down, but unless you have a black hole under the sofa, its Ohm and Maxwell calling the shots for your speaker cables.

This stuff has been around for over 150 years, and is still the basis for modern electronic engineering - it gets tested every day as engineers model and design systems based upon it. The chances that some HiFi enthusiast has hit upon something that the last 150 years of testing and appplication has failed to identify is frankly laughable.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I've always found PP to be way over too sensitive and Chebby way over too opinionated. Apart from the fact that the 'said picture' was just about as wrong as you can get with so called HiFi.

Blimey, spent the day at Singleton and...

To answer a couple of questions:

Matthew and RS: I appreciate about work and other commitments. Don't forget I run my own small business and, at the moment, trying to keep little'un occupied is like trying to a one armed juggling act.

@Chebby: "Fingers down a blackboard" was always a reference to earlier Cyrus amps, such as 8VS2 and not Nait 5i. Just to clarify when I borrowed the 5i from the Rega dealer in Hampton Wick, with my RS6s and with the Arcam CD73 in my smallish room it was way too overbearing. But if you had read my posts on the Nait 5i I also conceded that it sounded rather good with its own CDP, PMC and MonoPulse speakers.

If nothing else, at least it's blown away a few forum cobwebs - remember this one. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts