Once upon a time...

...there used to be a wonderful place where everyone shared their passion for all things electrical and sonic-related. Over a period of time daddy bear seemed isolated by knowledgable folk and others who couldn't give a EDITED, only thinking of their great sonic adventures...

Before I get culled, just wish people could be more helpful - not to me, exactly - but others who've posted and not had any replies for a day or two. Could give many examples where noobies have asked simple questions, but important ones about their personal hi-fi concerns, and no-one has the decency to reply. I've intervened on a num,ber of questions over the years, just to get the ball rolling; I know what's it's like to have no responses. It appears recently the major topics have been focussing mainly about 'shims', 'platters', 'what crummy turntable can I buy and make it look a million dollars' and other revered members who just comment: "So much that's wrong" and not to clarify exactly what they mean... clever, clever. :clap:

Perhaps I've spent too long on this forum and seen through some of the EDITED!!

No doubt some have been incredibly helpful while others have been absolute pain in the backsides.

Just EDITED off with certain individuals with over inflated egos that frequent this forum far too often.

C'est la vie.

Whinge over! (almost).

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
...there used to be a wonderful place where everyone shared their passion for all things electrical and sonic-related. Over a period of time daddy

bear seemed isolated by knowledgable folk and others who couldn't give a EDITED, only thinking of their great sonic adventures...

Before I get culled, just wish people could be more helpful - not to me, exactly - but others who've posted and not had any replies for a day or two. Could give many examples where noobies have asked simple questions, but important ones about their personal hi-fi concerns, and no-one has the decency to reply. I've intervened on a num,ber of questions over the years, just to get the ball rolling; I know what's it's like to have no responses. It appears recently the major topics have been focussing mainly about 'shims', 'platters', 'what crummy turntable can I buy and make it look a million dollars' and other revered members who just comment: "So much that's wrong" and not to clarify exactly what they mean... clever, clever. :clap:

Perhaps I've spent too long on this forum and seen through some of the EDITED!!

No doubt some have been incredibly helpful while others have been absolute pain in the backsides.

Just EDITED off with certain individuals with over inflated egos that frequent this forum far too often.

C'est la vie.

Whinge over! (almost).

You're not alone PP

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

T

the record spot

I think that's a tad strong PP. This is a public forum, people work or have other commitments and some posts have always gone unanswered. This has nothing, as I can see, to do with decency.

I can see that Chebby's comment to you still narks. Notwithstanding his failure to reply, I imagine his comment, misplaced as it was, related to your preference against his preference for a more minimalist setup.

By the same token, I do wish some people would discover the joys of Google. Not the first time I've seen a post asking a question that a search on Google would deliver the answer on the first page.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
I can see that Chebby's comment to you still narks. Notwithstanding his failure to reply, I imagine his comment, misplaced as it was, related to your preference against his preference for a more minimalist setup.

It was a reaction to the placement of the entire system on racks between very closely spaced speakers. NOT a reaction to the system itself.

My "failure to reply" was because I had no intention of going back to the thread.

I'm not ignoring anything. Forgetting is a better word because I don't actually remember what the thread was called. Sorry.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
As for answering new member's queries (or not), sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Lots of reasons including...

Don't understand the question.

Don't have the required knowledge or experience.

Don't have the time.

Don't want to get involved in a thread where the OP is asking the impossible. ("How I sterm form Spotyy-fi without no internet plse when I bougt Marats cr6003? It just flash massage at me. plse ercuse the Eglish thanks you kind men.")

Or because I am inconsistent.

Or because the last time a similar question arose the OP ignored all advice / instructions posted from manufacturer's manual / pictures etc. and just went ahead and did it all the wrong way regardless.

Lots of others.

So shoot me.

matthewpiano

I can see both sides here, but I do agree with you on the whole PP.

This forum is becoming consumed by ideological debates, and quite often the same ones over and over again, usually leading to personal attacks and arguments and the failure of some people with superiority complexes to accept that there is a viable way other than their own.

I also agree that too many posts by newer members remain unaswered. Alternatively they end up being turned into the hi-fi turf wars due to a disagreement about the advice being given. Rather than simply putting forward an alternative solution, there are people who seem to want to push their opinions above all others, stating them as some sort of fact, and quite happy to turn the topic into another long and winding debate.

There is, of course, also RS's point. Most of us work and just don't have time to always respond to every post. I know I don't.

Overall it isn't the friendly, helpful forum it was and there are question marks over how long I'm going to stick around. I'm sure I'm not the only one and I think things need to change to ensure the forum gets back to being the useful resource it was.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Overall it isn't the friendly, helpful forum it was and there are question marks over how long I'm going to stick around. I'm sure I'm not the only one and I think things need to change to ensure the forum gets back to being the useful resource it was.

Ok it must have been very friendly between 2007 (when you joined) and 2008 (when I joined) because I don't remember it ever overflowing with the milk of human kindness.

However I actively resist the notion of 'Golden Eras' in life as well as forums . I am approaching the age when people tend to start romanticising the past and I don't want to fall into that trap.

My kids are under strict instructions to demand proof if I ever start saying things like "We was all 'appy back then and people was all polite and we all left our front doors unlocked ..." etc.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Once upon a time, it seemed like the WHIFI staff were falling over each other to offer advice on as many questions as they could. Now it seems like they can't be bothered.

matthewpiano

chebby said:
matthewpiano said:

Ok it must have been very friendly between 2007 (when you joined) and 2008 (when I joined) because I don't remember it ever overflowing with the milk of human kindness.

However I actively resist the notion of 'Golden Eras' in life as well as forums . I am approaching the age when people tend to start romanticising the past and I don't want to fall into that trap.

My kids are under strict instructions to demand proof if I ever start saying things like "We was all 'appy back then and people was all polite and we all left our front doors unlocked ..." etc.

Agree about the danger of the notion of 'Golden Eras', but I do think this forum was more helpful and more friendly than it is currently. Perhaps not 'overflowing with the milk of human kindness' but a more positive place nevertheless.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I can see both sides here, but I do agree with you on the whole PP.

This forum is becoming consumed by ideological debates, and quite often the same ones over and over again, usually leading to personal attacks and arguments and the failure of some people with superiority complexes to accept that there is a viable way other than their own.

I also agree that too many posts by newer members remain unaswered. Alternatively they end up being turned into the hi-fi turf wars due to a disagreement about the advice being given. Rather than simply putting forward an alternative solution, there are people who seem to want to push their opinions above all others, stating them as some sort of fact, and quite happy to turn the topic into another long and winding debate.

There is, of course, also RS's point. Most of us work and just don't have time to always respond to every post. I know I don't.

Personally I rather like the 'idealogical' and technical debates, they can sometimes be extremely illuminating for any enthusiast looking to understand this hobby and get the best from it.

Giving people, particularly those relatively new to the hobby, some background and information on the way things work is I think a good thing, it helps make informed choices which is what the forum is often all about.

One thing I find particularly galling is the split between the objectivists and the subjectivists, there seems to be little common ground which I find odd as, personally, I have no difficulty combining the two 'philosophies' in my own listening.

For example, I know that my tiny active speakers have little output below about 100hz, yet on much music their response is remarkably convincing on a subjective level, I see no contradiction here, just the way it is.

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I find many of the threads turn quite toxic and often people looking for advice find threads hijacked by endless so called 'scientific' debate that goes nowhere and in the end, means nothing to the OP.

T

the record spot

Would've thought the biggest threat to this forum wasn't the golden era, more the golden ear...oh I'm so funny sometimes. Hold the laughter at the back, etc. :cheer:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
For example, I know that my tiny active speakers have little output below about 100hz, yet on much music their response is remarkably convincing on a subjective level, I see no contradiction here, just the way it is.

Interesting, as that viewpoint seems to go completely against your argument on the CD/vinyl thread where you've repeatedly expressed the opinion that people should only listen to systems that perfectly reproduce the original recording and anything else "just isn't hi-fi" and emotional involvement/attachment to a system is idiotic. So presumably your system isn't hi-fi and you're an idiot because your comment there seems very much like an emotional attachment to your deeply (or not-deeply enough even) flawed system?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
the record spot said:

It was a reaction to the placement of the entire system on racks between very closely spaced speakers. NOT a reaction to the system itself.

My "failure to reply" was because I had no intention of going back to the thread.

I'm not ignoring anything. Forgetting is a better word because I don't actually remember what the thread was called. Sorry.

Chebby "Eek!

So much that's wrong."

It was the above Chebby just to remind you. At the time I thought it was disrespectful and rude. Especially as you didn’t point out what was wrong. For all PP knew it could of been his carpet.

I didn’t say anything at the time as did not want to add fuel to the fire.

PS i was actually pointing out the the poster that the OP problem had actually been solved be speaker placement. He was asking.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
davedotco said:

Interesting, as that viewpoint seems to go completely against your argument on the CD/vinyl thread where you've repeatedly expressed the opinion that people should only listen to systems that perfectly reproduce the original recording and anything else "just isn't hi-fi" and emotional involvement/attachment to a system is idiotic. So presumably your system isn't hi-fi and you're an idiot because your comment there seems very much like an emotional attachment to your deeply (or not-deeply enough even) flawed system?

Once again I am being castigated for things I have not said, why?

I have never "repeatedly expressed the opinion that people should only listen to systems that perfectly reproduce the original recording", why are you making this up?

Furthermore where have I said 'emotional involvement/attachment to a system is idiotic", in fact on occasion I have said pretty much the opposite.

I do not consider myself idiotic because I can not, at this point, justify what I would normally call a proper hi-fi system. I have chosen a simple, inexpensive system to suit my circumstances and taste that will find later use as a desktop system.

Is it limited in what it can do, yes very much so. Does it limit what I am able to listen too, yes to a degree. Is it acceptable as a short term solution in my current situation, yes most of the time. Do I miss my proper system that is in storage, very much so. That is just how it is.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
boggit said:
At the time I thought it was disrespectful and rude.

Well i've put up with comments from PP about the Nait 5i I used to own including references to 'nausea', 'nails down a blackboard', 'migraine inducing' and lots more besides.

Perhaps starting a thread about how he was so bored with Rega 'fanboys' on the forum was not entirely consistent with "...a wonderful place where everyone shared their passion for all things electrical and sonic-related." that PP has written into his revisionist version of WHF forum history.

T

the record spot

boggit said:
Chebby "Eek!

So much that's wrong."

It was the above Chebby just to remind you. At the time I thought it was disrespectful and rude. Especially as you didn’t point out what was wrong. For all PP knew it could of been his carpet.

I didn’t say anything at the time as did not want to add fuel to the fire.

PS i was actually pointing out the the poster that the OP problem had actually been solved be speaker placement. He was asking.

And speaking about so much that's wrong, it's "could have" dear boy, could have, not "could of" which, in and of itself, makes no sense whatsoever...

...unless there's a comma inbetween that is: "...could, of course, be entirely possible..." for instance).

Anyway, I'm just off to renew my subscription at pedants.com...cheeribyranoo! :cheer:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts