Once upon a time...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Blimey, spent the day at Singleton ...

Excellent pub nosh at The Fox Goes Free.

Discovered it when photographing in the area (Boxgrove priory).

I hope you didn't have to drag round that boring old open air museum! (Mandatory for every school child within a 50 mile radius for the last god knows how long.)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
cse said:
I've always found PP to be way over too sensitive and Chebby way over too opinionated. Apart from the fact that the 'said picture' was just about as wrong as you can get with so called HiFi.

Ooh gossip! :twisted:

Which thread was this in? I missed it.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
Blimey, spent the day at Singleton ...

Excellent pub nosh at The Fox Goes Free.

Discovered it when photographing in the area (Boxgrove priory).

I hope you didn't have to drag round that boring old open air museum! (Mandatory for every school child within a 50 mile radius for the last god knows how long.)

Yup - Weald Downland Open Air Museum. Little'un hadn't been before. No didn't go to that pub but had a bite to eat in Chichesterand then gunned it back home.

steve_1979 said:
cse said:
I've always found PP to be way over too sensitive and Chebby way over too opinionated. Apart from the fact that the 'said picture' was just about as wrong as you can get with so called HiFi.

But those picture I took were purely for photo purposes. The speakers actually stand a few inches further out.

D

Deleted member 2457

plastic penguin said:
...there used to be a wonderful place where everyone shared their passion for all things electrical and sonic-related. Over a period of time daddy bear seemed isolated by knowledgable folk and others who couldn't give a EDITED, only thinking of their great sonic adventures...

Before I get culled, just wish people could be more helpful - not to me, exactly - but others who've posted and not had any replies for a day or two. Could give many examples where noobies have asked simple questions, but important ones about their personal hi-fi concerns, and no-one has the decency to reply. I've intervened on a num,ber of questions over the years, just to get the ball rolling; I know what's it's like to have no responses. It appears recently the major topics have been focussing mainly about 'shims', 'platters', 'what crummy turntable can I buy and make it look a million dollars' and other revered members who just comment: "So much that's wrong" and not to clarify exactly what they mean... clever, clever. :clap:

Perhaps I've spent too long on this forum and seen through some of the EDITED!!

No doubt some have been incredibly helpful while others have been absolute pain in the backsides.

Just EDITED off with certain individuals with over inflated egos that frequent this forum far too often.

C'est la vie.

Whinge over! (almost).

I wonder who has got the over inflated egos then? :?

D

Deleted member 2457

John Duncan said:
gel said:
I wonder who has got the over inflated egos then? :?

o/

smiley-laughing.gif

chebby said:
matthewpiano said:
Overall it isn't the friendly, helpful forum it was and there are question marks over how long I'm going to stick around. I'm sure I'm not the only one and I think things need to change to ensure the forum gets back to being the useful resource it was.

Ok it must have been very friendly between 2007 (when you joined) and 2008 (when I joined) because I don't remember it ever overflowing with the milk of human kindness.

However I actively resist the notion of 'Golden Eras' in life as well as forums . I am approaching the age when people tend to start romanticising the past and I don't want to fall into that trap.

My kids are under strict instructions to demand proof if I ever start saying things like "We was all 'appy back then and people was all polite and we all left our front doors unlocked ..." etc.

Think the forum was a different and more conciliatory place. It had a good mixture of fun and advice... some ridiculously amusing threads (Plasma spring cleaner comes to mind). Don't think that's romantising but a fact of observation.

We both joined about a month apart and it has changed.... would also like to see more input from the employees - I found it kinda reassuring. Over recent months Andrew, Andy, Joe etc. seem to make only a token gesture.

Anyway, I'm off to the pub. :cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
.......long, long ago, I had a life.

Maybe I'll get back to it sometime, but until then, I'll be doing a lot of this :rant: :read: :wall: :? :rockout: :type: and this :rofl:

:cheers:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
steve_1979 said:
cse said:

Here is the original thread.

I also seem to have missed the entertaining bust up. Where's the thread of him slagging you?

BenLaw said:
plastic penguin said:
steve_1979 said:
cse said:

Here is the original thread.

I also seem to have missed the entertaining bust up. Where's the thread of him slagging you?

Don your Sherlock outfit and find it. It's elementary, my dear Ben. :boohoo: (Geddit?)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Where's the thread of him slagging you?

Nothing so dramatic. I remarked on the positioning of two equipment racks between closely spaced speakers. PP invited me to come and knock down some walls in his house ...

plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Eek!

So much that's wrong.

Oh really! Well, if you to come down here and knock down a wall or two you're welcome.

Sounds mighty fine to me. No sibilance, no boom, vwery good separation, imaging....

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
BenLaw said:

Nothing so dramatic. I remarked on the positioning of two equipment racks between closely spaced speakers. PP invited me to come and knock down some walls in his house ...

plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Eek!

So much that's wrong.

Oh really! Well, if you to come down here and knock down a wall or two you're welcome.

Sounds mighty fine to me. No sibilance, no boom, vwery good separation, imaging....

Then they fell out and PP started slagging everyone in this thread

Don't you love the interweb

Laptop warrior's unite

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
boggit said:
And :hs: :whack: :uwish: :jawdrop: and..... :argh: WTF comes out as edited!!

You started all this! I was only responding to you putting the Pulse on a armchair. :shame:
I know!! Hence why I made the comment to chebby as I thought it was rather rude in the context it was made. I did not say anything yesterday as I did not want to make an issue out of it plus I don't know your relationship. But after your comment this morning thought I ought to say somthing.

However all seems well now and chebby seems to of made consilatary moves towards you.

So lets all just get on.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
BenLaw said:

plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Eek!

So much that's wrong.

Ah well.

matthewpiano

I can see nothing wrong with PP's layout. Hi-Fi has to fit in with our lives for most of us and compromises have to be made. My speakers also have a rack between them and sound absolutely fine. It is just the way it has to be.

A

Anonymous

p_m_brown said:
Why does almost every thread turn sour these days FFS?!

Because it's the interweb and laptop warriors don't need to be afraid no ones going to find them....

Or so they think >)

andybeau said:
chebby said:
BenLaw said:

plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Eek!

So much that's wrong.

Laptop warrior's unite

Wrong! since 2008 I've never openly slagged anyone or their system. The one thing I have questioned is they make a comment which is less than complimentary then please explain yourselves.

Regardless of whether anyone agrees with me or not if drop a clanger - nearly 14,000 posts it'll happen on occasions - I'll come back as soon as it's humanly possible and explain why.

But to say I've slagged everyone off in this thread, or anywhere else, is out of order.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
andybeau said:
chebby said:
BenLaw said:

plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Eek!

So much that's wrong.

Laptop warrior's unite

Wrong! since 2008 I've never openly slagged anyone or their system. The one thing I have questioned is they make a comment which is less than complimentary then please explain yourselves.

Regardless of whether anyone agrees with me or not if drop a clanger - nearly 14,000 posts it'll happen on occasions - I'll come back as soon as it's humanly possible and explain why.

But to say I've slagged everyone off in this thread, or anywhere else, is out of order.

So

'It appears recently the major topics have been focussing mainly about 'shims', 'platters', 'what crummy turntable can I buy and make it look a million dollars' and other revered members who just comment: "So much that's wrong" and not to clarify exactly what they mean... clever, clever. good job'

isn't slagging people off, well in my book, it is, thats the trouble with the interweb people interpret things differently

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts