On the fence with Onkyo A-9110 and Cambridge Audio AXA25 amplifiers

Emimusic

Jan 8, 2022
Visit site
Hello everyone

I am wondering if anyone has any heads up about two budget-friendly amplifiers for my Pro-Ject turntable: Onkyo A-9110 and Cambridge Audio AXA25. They're both in the same price range (around 250) and have similar specs. I like the barebones/analog kind of approach here (there wouldn't be any margin for bells and whistles at that price point), and what I would like to achieve is to get the best possible sound around that budget. I mainly listen to Jazz and Classical records.

Any direct experience with these units?
Many thanx

Emiliano

Emimusic

Jan 8, 2022
Visit site
Thanx for the reply! I have it. I splurged a couple of years ago with the Musical Fidelity V90-LPS, so I don't really care if the amp has it or not. What matters the most is sound quality and clarity within that budget. I might get a separate DAC down the line....

Reactions: Gray

robdmarsh

Thanx for the reply! I have it. I splurged a couple of years ago with the Musical Fidelity V90-LPS, so I don't really care if the amp has it or not. What matters the most is sound quality and clarity within that budget. I might get a separate DAC down the line....
I haven't heard either of these but I had an Onkyo micro system some time ago and it sounded very good with a detailed but warm sound. The Cambridge audio stuff I've heard I haven't been such a fan of but maybe you could trial by purchasing from somewhere you can return.

Sixtyten

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I own an Onkyo A9110. It's in the system in my study. It's connected to Sony BDP-S370 , Cambridge NP30 streamer and output via a pair of (bluntly awe inspiring) Mission 70 MKII. Previously it was connected to QA 3020i. It's fuller sounding than the Rotel RA820BXII it replaced but it's not in the same league as my Arcam A19.

I think it's grand, to be honest. Certainly it sounds better than I'd any right to expect for the £200 I paid for it a couple of years ago.

Reactions: Emimusic

Emimusic

Jan 8, 2022
Visit site
I own an Onkyo A9110. It's in the system in my study. It's connected to Sony BDP-S370 , Cambridge NP30 streamer and output via a pair of (bluntly awe inspiring) Mission 70 MKII. Previously it was connected to QA 3020i. It's fuller sounding than the Rotel RA820BXII it replaced but it's not in the same league as my Arcam A19.

I think it's grand, to be honest. Certainly it sounds better than I'd any right to expect for the £200 I paid for it a couple of years ago.
I'm leaning more towards the Onkyo, although it would be nice to get an impression from who might have heard them playing. If only Onkyo would restock them.... The a-9110 has been unavailable for a while now..😓

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Hello everyone

I am wondering if anyone has any heads up about two budget-friendly amplifiers for my Pro-Ject turntable: Onkyo A-9110 and Cambridge Audio AXA25. They're both in the same price range (around 250) and have similar specs. I like the barebones/analog kind of approach here (there wouldn't be any margin for bells and whistles at that price point), and what I would like to achieve is to get the best possible sound around that budget. I mainly listen to Jazz and Classical records.

Any direct experience with these units?
Many thanx

Emiliano
Bear in mind that Onkyo is undergoing a restructuring and stock seems to be rare at the moment. I have the older 9010 and quite happy with it although it may be rather restrained in nature to some

Reactions: Emimusic

Emimusic

Jan 8, 2022
Visit site
Bear in mind that Onkyo is undergoing a restructuring and stock seems to be rare at the moment. I have the older 9010 and quite happy with it although it may be rather restrained in nature to some
I noticed quite a bit of stalling on their website. I saw some raving reviews about the 9010 and apparently, the more recent model - the 9110, was stripped down of the built-in DAC in favor of some more expensive components (can't recall their name) to enhance even more the sound fidelity.
Have you had the chance to hear Cambridge audio axa25? How would you compare it to the 9010?

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
I noticed quite a bit of stalling on their website. I saw some raving reviews about the 9010 and apparently, the more recent model - the 9110, was stripped down of the built-in DAC in favor of some more expensive components (can't recall their name) to enhance even more the sound fidelity.
Have you had the chance to hear Cambridge audio axa25? How would you compare it to the 9010?
There may be some confusion here. I realise this forum extends past UK shores but the UK version had no DAC with the money spent on upgraded capacitors, etc. American and European 9010s had a DAC.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts