manicm

Hi,
It uses the ESS DAC IC's which support MQA.

Regards,
Shadders.

Yes but Play-Fi has never supported it, regardless of hardware. The software must be able to pass through MQA to the DAC, and to my knowledge Play-Fi has not been capable yet, instead capping out at the level below Masters in Tidal.

Unless I'm missing something. Remember for streaming you're using the PlayFi platform on several Audiolab products including this one.

shadders

Yes but Play-Fi has never supported it, regardless of hardware. The software must be able to pass through MQA to the DAC, and to my knowledge Play-Fi has not been capable yet, instead capping out at the level below Masters in Tidal.

Unless I'm missing something. Remember for streaming you're using the PlayFi platform on several Audiolab products including this one.
Hi,
MQA encoded files look the same as LPCM files. If Play-Fi transmits the MQA file which can be encoded as a FLAC or LPCM file, then if the target system has an ESS DAC IC, it will automatically decode MQA.

What Play-Fi does not do, is decode MQA to send as LPCM to other non-MQA devices.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: doifeellucky

manicm

Hi,
MQA encoded files look the same as LPCM files. If Play-Fi transmits the MQA file which can be encoded as a FLAC or LPCM file, then if the target system has an ESS DAC IC, it will automatically decode MQA.

What Play-Fi does not do, is decode MQA to send as LPCM to other non-MQA devices.

Regards,
Shadders.

I'm not sure what you're saying is correct. Decoding MQA is a 3 step process for full resolution.

And where does LPCM come into the process? Please give reference link for this. MQA technically is a lossy format.

Please substantiate your answers with some references.

shadders

I'm not sure what you're saying is correct. Decoding MQA is a 3 step process for full resolution.
Hi,
MQA hides the 24bit and higher frequency information in the lower significant bits of the 16bit file. The process is implemented by the DAC IC in the case of the ESS DAC IC's.

And where does LPCM come into the process? Please give reference link for this. MQA technically is a lossy format.
The file you get for MQA is LPCM, and as above, some bits are used for the extra information to achieve near 24bit resolution and higher frequencies. You can play the MQA file on a DAC and hear the song no problem, although the dynamic range is reduced and signal to noise has reduced also - higher noise floor.

Please substantiate your answers with some references.
Why don't you go to the audiophilestyle website and ask there.

Regards,
Shadders.

Perhaps a visit to a dealer might confirm whether MQA works with said sofware, assuming one was interested in buying the device.
as far as I am aware Playfi is a way to communicate with other devices, it has nothing to do with the device that converts the file itself, or am I missing something?

Last edited:

manicm

Hi,
MQA hides the 24bit and higher frequency information in the lower significant bits of the 16bit file. The process is implemented by the DAC IC in the case of the ESS DAC IC's.

The file you get for MQA is LPCM, and as above, some bits are used for the extra information to achieve near 24bit resolution and higher frequencies. You can play the MQA file on a DAC and hear the song no problem, although the dynamic range is reduced and signal to noise has reduced also - higher noise floor.

Why don't you go to the audiophilestyle website and ask there.

Regards,
Shadders.

No Shadders, those are big claims you're making there. AFAIK LPCM has nothing to do with MQA. I ask again, please state your (reliable) sources.

Give me the precise links in audiophilestyle. I don't have time to search and wade.

manicm

Perhaps a visit to a dealer might confirm whether MQA works with said sofware, assuming one was interested in buying the device.
as far as I am aware Playfi is a way to communicate with other devices, it has nothing to do with the device that converts the file itself, or am I missing something?

It has to allow MQA passthrough, like the Tidal desktop app does.

shadders

No Shadders, those are big claims you're making there. AFAIK LPCM has nothing to do with MQA. I ask again, please state your (reliable) sources.

Give me the precise links in audiophilestyle. I don't have time to search and wade.
Hi,
I suggest you go to audiophilestyle website. They will tell you the same thing.

As you don't know how MQA works, anything said by me will be wasted time. Good luck.

Regards,
Shadders.

manicm

Hi,
I suggest you go to audiophilestyle website. They will tell you the same thing.

As you don't know how MQA works, anything said by me will be wasted time. Good luck.

Regards,
Shadders.

Shadders, pot calling the kettle black? MQA has nothing to do with LPCM as far as I know. Please give me solid references to substantiate your statements, otherwise refrain from judging.

manicm

I think you got the piece from here

It states I quote

'As I understand it, MQA say this is fine because MQA is ‘compatible’ with LPCM rendering. However this claim was also made for HDCD and in that case experience showed that we had to interpret the term ‘compatible’ with care.'

So 'as he understands it.'

So Shadders, you may be misinterpreting it.

shadders

I think you got the piece from here

It states I quote

'As I understand it, MQA say this is fine because MQA is ‘compatible’ with LPCM rendering. However this claim was also made for HDCD and in that case experience showed that we had to interpret the term ‘compatible’ with care.'

So 'as he understands it.'

So Shadders, you may be misinterpreting it.
Hi,
Aas stated before, go to the audiophilestyle website and they will essentially state the same as me.

The entire point of MQA was to provide a single file which is LPCM but the lower significant bits are used to provide the content for the higher frequencies and increased bit depth. You can play an MQA file on a non-MQA DAC and still hear the song, but the noise floor is increased.

Regards,
Shadders.

manicm

Hi,
Aas stated before, go to the audiophilestyle website and they will essentially state the same as me.

The entire point of MQA was to provide a single file which is LPCM but the lower significant bits are used to provide the content for the higher frequencies and increased bit depth. You can play an MQA file on a non-MQA DAC and still hear the song, but the noise floor is increased.

Regards,
Shadders.

I'm talking about fully decoded MQA. I'm still waiting for your link.

MQA can be played as LPCM, but that is not fully decoded. And remember again, MQA is technically a lossy, compressed format ala MP3 etc albeit at a much higher quality.

shadders

I'm talking about fully decoded MQA. I'm still waiting for your link.

MQA can be played as LPCM, but that is not fully decoded. And remember again, MQA is technically a lossy, compressed format ala MP3 etc albeit at a much higher quality.
Hi,
MQA Ltd does NOT allow for the fully decoded bit stream to be provided in the raw. Decoding of MQA can ONLY be accomplished by an approved MQA DAC. That DAC may implement the decoding as a solution before the DAC IC, or as per ESS, be integral to the DAC IC.

Again, go to the audiophilestyle website and they will provide the very detailed information you want.

Regards,
Shadders

manicm

Hi,
MQA Ltd does NOT allow for the fully decoded bit stream to be provided in the raw. Decoding of MQA can ONLY be accomplished by an approved MQA DAC. That DAC may implement the decoding as a solution before the DAC IC, or as per ESS, be integral to the DAC IC.

Again, go to the audiophilestyle website and they will provide the very detailed information you want.

Regards,
Shadders

Nicely sidestepping the issue when you're in a corner

When I meant fully decoded I obviously if not glaringly meant with a fully compatible DAC and or streamer etc.

In which case the RAW MQA is being passed through from the source be it Tidal (itself controversial but another discussion for another day) and/or MQA files and/or MQA CDs.

shadders

Nicely sidestepping the issue when you're in a corner

When I meant fully decoded I obviously if not glaringly meant with a fully compatible DAC and or streamer etc.

In which case the RAW MQA is being passed through from the source be it Tidal (itself controversial but another discussion for another day) and/or MQA files and/or MQA CDs.
Hi,
I am in no corner. I understand how MQA works.

Everything i have stated will be reiterated on the audiophilestyle website.

Regards,
Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts