olive 3hd/cocktail audio x10 or something else

celsius

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
hi

i have a marantz mcr603 with an ipod classic 160gb,project dock box and monitor audio radius r90hd's.i have tried streaming audio from my nas but can't get on with it.my ipod is full and i need more space.i would like some sort of music server,i don't want wireless and i don't want to stream so what are my options budget is about £1k.would get rid of the marantz and go back to a rotel ra04 which i prefer to the marantz

nads

celsius said:
hi

i have a marantz mcr603 with an ipod classic 160gb,project dock box and monitor audio radius r90hd's.i have tried streaming audio from my nas but can't get on with it.my ipod is full and i need more space.i would like some sort of music server,i don't want wireless and i don't want to stream so what are my options budget is about £1k.would get rid of the marantz and go back to a rotel ra04 which i prefer to the marantz
So what is your preferred means of playing your music.

From reading the above go back to putting CDs in the slot.

celsius

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
hi

i listen to the ipod mostly as all my cds are in the loft due to lack of space but as my files are in lossless format i have to delete some to get more on there.therein lies the problem thats why i am looking at something like the olive and have all cds uncompressed in one place and not get moaned at for leaving cds everywhere

T

the record spot

That's quite a wide budget range for the items you mentioned; I take it from the products you've identified, you're looking at having onboard storage on your selection? The Olive and the Cocktail Audio both have hard disk options. Were that not the case, I'd suggest you have a listen to something like Onkyo's TX-8050, which you pick up for around £300.

Four digital inputs (two coax, two optical), so you can stick your telly on as well as your PC, USB connectivity, 130wpc at 6ohms, around 100 at 8ohms so it'll drive anything. It'll even take a turntable or your games console! The big features are network capability thanks to an ethernet port at the back and, more recently as of the last couple of weeks, a nifty firmware upgrade that introduced Spotify functionality too.

At the higher end of the scale, Olive's stuff is well rated, but pricey. There's also the Apple Mac Mini at around £699, or slightly cheaper via their refurb store online.

celsius

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
hi

the onkyo is not really what i am looking for it doesn't do anything more than the marantz.i think i need something hard drive based so i can store cds on it.as for the linn sneaky i don't know where my nearest dealer is for a demo but will look into it

thanks

jon

T

the record spot

That's not quite true; the Marantz has 40wat 8ohms, maybe 60w at 6ohms, so nothing like the same power on tap as the Onkyo. The digital inputs are paltry (one I think, vs four) and it can't accommodate a power amp, nor does it offer so many inputs overall. Your choice obviously, but you'd be missing a beat if you thought the 603 and the 8050 were the same animal.

T

the record spot

No probs, but something like that Onkyo (or similar) will hook up to something like an external 1 or 2TB hard drive; less than £100. The Olive 3HD offers only 500Gb storage as standard, so this might be something you want to consider. It depends if you want fit and forget, or are willing to spend a little less and work a little more at the outset. Horses for courses.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts