Music streaming: Sonos, Bluesound, Cambridge Audio or something else?

hd101

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks in advance for any pointers. I am completely new to audio stuff, and wouldn't say I have a great ear (ie don't need top of the range sound). I want to upgrade from my existing ipod dock alarm (my only way of playing music!) to something a little more punchy. Family of 5, children small at the moment, so I have a 2TB NAS for now to store music on. I have a 6 room house, and ipad, a samsung phone and a PC, and have been toying with the Sonos system to put music in 3 of the rooms. Then I saw Bluesound and Bose both doing similar set ups. Essentially, my question is: what is the best way to access and play my music freely from the NAS (WD mycloud), preferably also having access to spotify. Is sonos the best, or should I opt for the (relatively new?) Bluesound or Bose systems? Or is it worth just getting something like Cambridge Audio and having a simple, better set up? Cost is an option, but I would rather spend a bit more and get something good and 'future proof' as far as that is ever possible. Thanks

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Do you listen to any 24-bit audio? If not, go with Sonos, it is, by far, the easiest system to setup and live with on a daily basis, I don't think the additional cost of the Bluesound is going to get you anything (and apparently the software still looks like it's in alpha test, never mind beta) and I've seen a few people complaining about the Bose system constantly dropping connections.

Even if you do listen to 24-bit audio, I'd suggest downsampling it to 16-bit and going with Sonos anyway.

As ever though it depends on what you already have and what your budget is.

hd101

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that. I like simple. I also have no idea what 24 bit audio is....! All my music is saved in itunes at the moment (yuk - any suggestions for alternatives?) and duplicted as a backup in windows media. I think it is all saved as AAC files or MP3 files.....if that makes sense! Happy for pointers on what to change it to....?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts