OLED Screen Burn

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
No OLEDs match the motion of plasmas. I watch a lot of sport so motion is important to me.
Not in every case, I had a top of the line Samsung plasma for 15 years and my original plan was to replaced it with the Panasonic P50GT60B in 2013. I really liked the build and tv picture quality, but I wasn't impressed by the motion so i opted for the Sony Flagship bravia LED instead as the motion was rock solid. I only replaced the Sony this year! I tried the top of the line Samsung QLED 4k model at the start of the year. The QLED had horrendous stutter and judder motion. The TV was packed up and sent back to the retailer inside of 90 hours! Motion is important to my use case. My current LG CX performs excellent with motion, and I wouldn't say it was better or worse than my older Plasma. I would say it out performed that particular Panasonic model on motion. I remember the GT60 had bad motion blur when viewing the tennis and watching the football.

Oled panels have protection mechanisms to reduce risk of any burn-in and they are found in all OLED TVs regardless of the manufacturer.
The best way to prevent burn-in or image retention on Oled TVs is to avoid static images. Leaving a programme paused on screen for several hours a day would lead to burn-in. My LG CX has a screen saver feature that turns on automatically if the TV detects a static image is displayed on screen after a couple of minutes. LG Oled panels also have options in the menu settings. The screen shift feature moves the screen slightly regularly so logos do not stay on the same pixel for the duration of the programme or movie. You have a logo luminance adjustment on screen to reduce the brightness around the logo to prevent image retention. The big one is the pixel refresher which kicks in after every 2000 hours to reset the pixels. The most important thing to do when owning a Oled TV is to never turn off the power at the wall - once you have clocked up 4 hours of content and you power off the TV with the remote, a cycle kicks in for ten minutes to clean the TV. My recommendation are to always power off the TV with the remote every 4 hours for 20 minutes to do the cycle. Vary content as much as possible. Keep subtitles off. If you game a lot, head over to YouTube for ten minutes after you finish gaming, and play some HDR content with no logos to really get those pixels working.

A good investment can be the Apple 4K box that allows you to cut out logos! I use this whenever I watch the boxing on Dazn, BT Sports and Sky Sports. Truth be told Oled panels from 2019 onwards are unlikely to get burn-in due to the new protection mechanisms.
Or they could just produce a panel using technology that doesn’t suffer screen burn. Sounds like a lot of faff to have to tip toe around your TV to “nurse” it during and after use. I’m glad I don’t entertain the brand, as it sounds like they dont care about the end user.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Oled panels have protection mechanisms to reduce risk of any burn-in and they are found in all OLED TVs regardless of the manufacturer.
...which is evidently not reducing the risk sufficiently.
I predominantly watch the BBC News channel on my (LCD) TV. I couldn't live with the constant worry about screenburn if I ever bought an OLED.
Whichever way you look at it, it's a highly unsatisfactory state of affairs for owners of products - that are not inexpensive.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Or they could just produce a panel using technology that doesn’t suffer screen burn. Sounds like a lot of faff to have to tip toe around your TV to “nurse” it during and after use. I’m glad I don’t entertain the brand, as it sounds like they dont care about the end user.
I suppose it depends on the individual and the person use case! Switching the TV off every 4 hours to do a recycle, and vary your content is not a big deal in comparison to using say a acoustic guitar. I play the guitar, and you really do need to nurse them. Replacing strings, re-tuning, oil the finger boards, dealing the humidity levels etc, etc.

The technology is fine for my needs. As far as I am aware 2019 panels onwards should be fine. I know multiple owners using LG oled tvs as gaming monitors, and no issues three years down the road..

Plasma had the same label as Oled back in the day. My Sammy Plasma went 15 years without burn-in issues.

Again in my use case! I was never one for sitting down to watch the news channel all day. I find the content depressing. High end TVs for me are for Movies, box sets, and Sports..

D

Deleted member 196519

I suppose it depends on the individual and the person use case! Switching the TV off every 4 hours to do a recycle, and vary your content is not a big deal in comparison to using say a acoustic guitar. I play the guitar, and you really do need to nurse them. Replacing strings, re-tuning, oil the finger boards, dealing the humidity levels etc, etc.

The technology is fine for my needs. As far as I am aware 2019 panels onwards should be fine. I know multiple owners using LG oled tvs as gaming monitors, and no issues three years down the road..

Plasma had the same label as Oled back in the day. My Sammy Plasma went 15 years without burn-in issues.

Again in my use case! I was never one for sitting down to watch the news channel all day. I find the content depressing. High end TVs for me are for Movies, box sets, and Sports..
Yes, I think it depends what you use it for and what you personally like. I know on YouTube my LG OLED looks way better than my Samsung QLED TV. And that’s what I use my TV for so I get LG OLED TVs from now on.

Reactions: Stuart.W.D

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I predominantly watch the BBC News channel on my (LCD) TV. I couldn't live with the constant worry about screenburn if I ever bought an OLED.
In your use case Gray, I wouldn't recommend spending OLED money for watching the news either. 😊

I loved Plasma except on warm bright summers days. 🥵

I enjoyed my LED TV - except for football content due to DSE.

I find Oled the best out of the three technologies for me. No technology is perfect they have pros, and cons. Like anything in life, it comes down to what meets your best needs..

...which is evidently not reducing the risk sufficiently.
Whichever way you look at it, it's a highly unsatisfactory state of affairs for owners of products - that are not inexpensive.
Which is why when I changed my TV earlier this year, I stuck with a top of the range LED. I’m not touching OLED until the issues are sorted out.

D

Deleted member 196519

Not in every case, I had a top of the line Samsung plasma for 15 years and my original plan was to replaced it with the Panasonic P50GT60B in 2013. I really liked the build and tv picture quality, but I wasn't impressed by the motion so i opted for the Sony Flagship bravia LED instead as the motion was rock solid. I only replaced the Sony this year! I tried the top of the line Samsung QLED 4k model at the start of the year. The QLED had horrendous stutter and judder motion. The TV was packed up and sent back to the retailer inside of 90 hours! Motion is important to my use case. My current LG CX performs excellent with motion, and I wouldn't say it was better or worse than my older Plasma. I would say it out performed that particular Panasonic model on motion. I remember the GT60 had bad motion blur when viewing the tennis and watching the football.
Depends on source too.

Reactions: Stuart.W.D

ron.hoare

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
Thanks John

I run regularly the pixel refresher, with no obvious effect. Red is now, what I call "dirty" over about 1/3 of the screen. Another way of explaining this is that red is becoming increasingly grey.

As I will continue to say at the end of each comment; it isn't burn in, it's the failure of the whole OLED panel. If you buy an OLED panel; expect to replace it after about 5,000 hours.

Best wishes

Ron

Tinman1952

Thanks John

I run regularly the pixel refresher, with no obvious effect. Red is now, what I call "dirty" over about 1/3 of the screen. Another way of explaining this is that red is becoming increasingly grey.

As I will continue to say at the end of each comment; it isn't burn in, it's the failure of the whole OLED panel. If you buy an OLED panel; expect to replace it after about 5,000 hours.

Best wishes

Ron
Running the pixel refresher 'regularly' will shorten the life of the panel...it's simply not necessary.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks John

I run regularly the pixel refresher, with no obvious effect.

Hi Ron,

Stop doing the pixel refresh! Allow the TV to do this every 2000 hours.. Ideally the pixel refresher should be once per year. You could run it once manually if you come across stuck pixels, or if you paused the TV for multiple hours. Ideally you should stay well clear of using this regularly. Twice a year maximum would be my advice.

How many times roughly have you ran the refresher? You are shortening the life span of your TV I am afraid to say.

D

Deleted member 196519

When I got screen burn on my LG 65e6v OLED I paid £4500 from John Lewis and got a £4000 refund roughly 2-3 years ago.

When my dad got screen burn on a LG OLED 55b6v bought for £750 from John Lewis he got £750 credit towards another TV.

When my sister got screen burn on her LG 65E7V bought from John Lewis for £1700 was told she had to pay £250 for a new screen but my dad argued her case and John Lewis eventually paid for the £250 new screen.

There‘s no consistency to what John Lewis decide but have since brought in £140 extra to an OLED TV to cover screen burn. If yours was before they introduced screen burn cover and you bought from John Lewis you have a stronger case.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Finally looking at moving up to 4K and considering the bottom-ish of the range 55” LGs/Philips/Sonys. Boys play a lot of games on them with static screen elements, and I do have the odd nap in front of a movie and wake up at the title screen 😬. How much of an issue is screen burn? Do I need to be worried?
I don't why channels show their digital name graphic?. I know what TV channel I am watching considering the programme content more important than the broadcaster

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts