Oldish Arcam FMJ DV27A versus my one year old Denon DVD1940..........

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I just bought the above mentioned Arcam off Ebay for a little under £300. I paid £200 for my Denon. The Arcam originally cost £2000 but has no hdmi or upscaling. I will soon see how things have developed.....

Gary233932

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
Can I ask why you went for the Arcam FMJ DV27A over a new DV135 (just discounted) at £350. I would like a DVD player with the best CD and Basic Picture quality, to let my Onkyo 875 do the scaling etc,

Thanks

Gary

PS what is the Gotham GAC-1 interconnect like is it the one sold by uk-cbe on ebay thanks again...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Gary233932:Can I ask why you went for the Arcam FMJ DV27A over a new DV135 (just discounted) at £350. I would like a DVD player with the best CD and Basic Picture quality, to let my Onkyo 875 do the scaling etc,

Thanks

Gary

PS what is the Gotham GAC-1 interconnect like is it the one sold by uk-cbe on ebay thanks again...

Well, I believe that the 27A is the more acomplished player. It was the DV139 of it's time and the 135 is Arcam's budget player. The FMJ range is supposedly better in cd playback and build from the Diva range. I am more interested in the sound of the player as I intend to buy an upscaling receiver and feed the component connection into that. I think that the 27A should offer an excellent picture using component direct to my screen for the time being.

As for the Gotham - it's decent. I only use mine to connect my receiver's pre outs to my stereo amp. I did play around with the Gotham and my old Chord Cobra 3 and Crimson interconnects and it was no worse than those so for the money, you can't go wrong. My main interconnect blows it away though - and so it should!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Gary233932:Can I ask why you went for the Arcam FMJ DV27A over a new DV135 (just discounted) at £350. I would like a DVD player with the best CD and Basic Picture quality, to let my Onkyo 875 do the scaling etc,

Thanks

Gary

Set up last night. The picture is very good - not quite as good as my Denon 1940 but this has not been upscaled, once a receiver that upscales is bought, the picture I'm sure will be amazing.

The sound though is unbelievable. Check the hifi section for my brief review. There is one on ebay (silver not black) at the moment. I would highly recommend. They look great too.

Gary233932

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks, I have been looking at that, but it is in London and the guy has no rating I live in West Yorkshire, It also says is got HDMI, I was watching the one you got, and am thinking about the DV79 as well for about £150. Have a look at RS for the Onkyo 905 VIP deal at £799 bargin. I think the 875 is sensational truly recommended and the 905 is better than that.

thanks

Gary

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Gary233932:Thanks, I have been looking at that, but it is in London and the guy has no rating I live in West Yorkshire, It also says is got HDMI, I was watching the one you got, and am thinking about the DV79 as well for about £150. Have a look at RS for the Onkyo 905 VIP deal at £799 bargin. I think the 875 is sensational truly recommended and the 905 is better than that.

thanks

Gary

Unfortunately I can't get an Onkyo at the moment. The only one that would fit my cabinet is the 606 and it doesn't have pre outs for starters. I will probably get the new Sony (I like mine it's just outdated), the 2400es or one of the new Denons, 1909 or 2309. I just tried a couple of dvds and there is hardly any difference to my old 1940 (fabulous picture), so imagine when it's upscaled from 576p to 1080p!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts