Amp to pair with Rega RP3 -Arcam/Rega/Roksan ?

whoireland

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

A newbie here so would appreciate some advice from others…

Having mainly been tinkering with home cinema sounds over the past 10yrs I’m now delving back into stereo hifi.

Recently purchased Rega RP3 turntable.

I have about 4 amps – to give an idea of what they cost new

2 denon A/V’s (approx. £1000-1300 ea), Pioneer SC LX72 (approx. £1300) , old Sony Stereo amp (approx. £200)

First question is, can the A/V’s match quality of decent stereo amplifier for Phono, or do I absolutely NEED to buy a dedicated stereo amp?

I haven’t auditioned any amps yet but am trying to draw up a shortlist –

Budgeting under a grand

So far options are:

Arcam FMJ A19 (or it’s replacement)

Rega ELEX-R

Roksan K2 BT + Power amp (currently on offer as a pair for 1200)

My current spkrs are B&W 603 but will probably change in coming year

Musical tastes are standard rock – zeppelin,Floyd,stones etc with a mixture of acoustic Dylan,Neil young etc

Other considerations – I will need a decent cd player in coming year and would love to be able to play lossless audio files – FLAC etc

Would love to hear opinions/experiences !

Hi and welcome to the madhouse.

Firstly, some will say a dedicated stereo amp is the best route to go down if you're using stereo only, while others will have the opposite. Personally, I haven't heard enough multi-channel amps to advise.

Secondly, before you even think about a dedicated stereo amp decide what the amp will be used in, as in room size and acoustics. No point getting a 150 watter if it's only used in a small box room. Likewise, if you have a huge room then a 40-watter will probably become lost.

Once you've decided what power and inputs you'll need you really should have a dem or two at a local dealer.

(With your B&Ws, I know they'll be changed at some point, add Rotel to the list. Rotel and B&W, IMHO, are a cracking match).

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
slide-image-3.jpg

whoireland

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions

i tried the rp3 with 3 A/v amps this wknd. All were ok with my b&w 603s2's

but cd's were sounding much fuller. Vinyl was sounding very weak

i think I really need new amp and spkrs

whoireland

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I must admit a separate phono stage is something I hadn't thought of.

i did some googling and rega mm mk2 seems to get good reviews at a decent price point.

Can I ask a stoopid question- how do these connect to my a/v amp?

And would a dedicated phono stage beat the phono stage within say Arcam a19? (I know there are other factors but in terms of just that component)

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I happen to have an Arcam A19 of which I'm very satisfied. The quality of its phono stage is well recognize and it's said to be well above the predecessor A18.

The opinions above are based on the fact that you liked the sound of the Denon when playing CDs. So why not trying to demo a phono stage and see how it performs? Maybe you'll hit gold and in the same time save some money (what a combination!*crazy*)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts