Older Spendor speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
That all sounds good. I suspect that they will grow more and more on you. Try them in different positions...when I heard them in a small room, I was impressed with the bass. If the bass is tighter and of a higher quality, it may give the impression of being less.

I used them on their own stands, which may also have helped. Somebody on here had them for a while before getting the stands and so may be available to advise.

Listen for a week and report back.....interested to know how you think they compare with A5/A6 (ie. Was my advice accurate - always a dangerous question to ask. :)

Cno

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Didn't try them on the TV cabinet as I was going to put them on stands eventually anyway.

Seems to have worked well, the sound stage is good, separation of instruments, vocals in the middle.

Good advise, thanks!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi FM

I'm sorry, I didn't make myself very clear....I meant moving the speakers, while on their stands, in case there is a place that suits the bass better (the TV cabinet is not ideal).

The reason I asked about how you found my advice, was because it may have played a roll in your decision to buy blind. As such, I would have been uncomfortable if you had felt it was inaccurate.

Cno

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Your advice was good.

You gave an accurate description of the speakers in comparison of the A6 and VR1.

You also suggested I demo them first, so no worries!

I think that from the amount of bass I'm getting the A6 may be too much for my room.

The SA1's are a better overall speaker than the VR1's & the SA2's are about 20 years old so would have been a gamble.

A different pre amp may have fixed the issues with the VR1's but I think that if I do upgrade my pre amp in the future that the SA1's will benefit even more that the VR1's would have.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thx FM

Good to know. I try to bring objectivity to such a subjective hobby, based on what is being asked for.....and it's good when it works out.

FWIW I think the SA2 would have only been a very temporary solution, because it would have taken too much of the excitement out of the music for your taste. Hopefully the SA1 will prove more permenant.

Regards

Cno

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Update on the SA1's, bit of a long post, sorry!

Sold my VR1's, they are going next week.

The SA1's are not perfect but are overall better than the VR1's (to my ears!).

I can now listen to any song without wincing due to brightness, but the sparkle & life of the music is still there!

The detail & imaging are both better. A few instruments that where not there or very faint, being squeezed by the high frequencies, are now audible. Instruments are placed better, such as with orchestras, it is an orchestra not a mash of sounds.

Some songs that I would usually skip due to being fatiguing after about 5 second I can now listen to all the way through. Some recordings are very bright whatever I have heard them on, but I can now listen to them.

The VR1's where good speakers & I will miss them for some of there qualities.

But when you can't listen the 20%+ of your music you have to do something.

The only criticism I have with the SA1's, that I was expecting but hoping would not bother me, is the bass extension.

I have moved the speakers closer to the rear & side walls to try to reinforce the bass. This has helped a bit. The speakers are now 24cm from the rear wall & 47cm from the side. They are almost 200cm apart. I have toed them in about 40 degrees as the sound stage was overly wide.

I am glad I bought the SA1's, getting more enjoyment than from the VR1's but conscious that I have lost something in the transition.

I am thinking of upgrading/replacing my pre-amp. I briefly tried my NAD 1240 again but it is faulty, generating a constant white noise type of crackle, so promptly unplugged it! I am going to try and get it serviced.

I have looked for NAD & Rotel pre-amps suggested by Rick @ Musicraft but still none have come up!

There are some Quad 44 pre-amps for sale, one has been fully serviced. Would they be good enough? I've always fancied Quad as part of my system, almost bought them many moons ago instead of Cyrus!

I know I could keep what I have, especially as all my stereo kit matches & all the amps, pre & power have been serviced. I could get the A6 in the future but as said previously I have tried floor standers before in my room and they are WAY too bassy! Even with the VR1's, with the NAD 1240 pre-amp the bass shook the rooms downstairs at moderate volume!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi FM

I think that the SA1s need a good kick up the backside to get the full bass from them. Is it possible to try them with a gutsy amp, just to see if that would sort them out in the future?

I didn't find them bass shy in a small room, but it's all comparative. Your other option is a small tight sub (eg BK).

You can tweek with different speaker cable, but it is unlikely to make a fundamental change
(eg. Atlas).

Regards

Cno

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I know a pre amp makes a difference to my system.

Found a Quad 44 Pre Amp for a reasonable price, what do you think?

My power amps are over 100W so I think from experience and what Rick @ Musicraft has said my pre-amp is the week link.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
That's the question then - how do Quad & Cyrus match?

Anyone tried it?

I'm willing to give it a go as I can likely sell on either the Quad or Cyrus pre amps after determining which one to keep.

What would be a reasonable price to pay for a Quad 44 pre-amp?

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Checked some older posts, Rick @ Musicraft says that the Quad 44 may not be good enough. Shame as I like the old style look of them.

What about the Quad 99?

There are several available, one with a missing remote (not a massive issue, I could do with the extra exercise!).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts