Older Spendor speakers

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have any experience or info on Spendor SA2 speakers?

Been searching on the Internet but can't find much.

Thinking of using them as a stop gap before I get the Spendor A6's.

Thanks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I have not heard them, but they are substantial standmounts with 8" woofers and should have all the strengths of the Spendors from that era ie.great with voices, piano and acoustic stuff. I would expect them to be warmer and darker than A5s.

Sorry if obvious, but make sure they are in good condition.

Cno

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thank CnoEvil, just wonder what you mean by "I would expect them to be warmer and darker than A5s"?

I've heard that before about other speakers but can't remember what was meant!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
Thank CnoEvil, just wonder what you mean by "I would expect them to be warmer and darker than A5s"?

I've heard that before about other speakers but can't remember what was meant!

Warm is normally used to describe bass..and is the opposide of "lean", and is not as "tight" as it could be.

Dark is the opposide of "bright" and applies to trebble and upper mid-range. By today's standard, Spendor A5 are not "lean and bright" (just compare to Focal/Triangle), it's just that Spendor are moving away from their "pipe and slippers" sound from yesteryear. This makes them more dynamic and exciting.

If I have to compromise, it is always to the "warm and dark" side, whereas, for others, it's their idea of hell.

Hope this helps

Cno

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
Sounds like they will do what I want then.

A bit more bass and taming the treble.

Nice!

That's exactly what it will do..provided the rubber surrounds of the bass drivers aren't dozed!

If you get them..report back

Cno

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Cno, I think you touched on this in a previous thread I've read (I stated it!) but just wondering...

Would second hand SA1's be a good stop-gap? Or should I just go for the SA2's?

The SA2's would obviously have more but not necessarily better bass that the SA1's .

Never demoed the SA1's but the A6 sounded amassing, but in a room over twice, maybe 3 times the size of my room.

The SA2's should be fairly inexpensive but the SA1's may cost a fair bit.

Thoughts?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I loved the SA1, even prefering them to the A6!

If you put them in the correct sized room, there is no small speaker around the money I would rather have - lightening fast and eminently musical. A mid range to die for.

They need good stands (I heard them on their own ones).

You might even find that he urge to change subsides.

Nb. I didn't buy them because my room was just too big.

Highly recommended - try to borrow a pair if poss.

Cno

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
"You might even find that he urge to change subsides."

That would be good!

Some SA1's have come up on an auction site - thinking of getting them and calling it a day!

If they go for too much I will try to get the SA2's and see what happens.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It's always risky buying on somebody elses recommendation..but you have head them.

If it's of help, I could have bought "as new" ex-dem with matching stands, for £1200.

What finish are they..do they have any warrenty?

Cno

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Zebrano finish, and should have whatever warranty is left of the 5 year warranty, checked with Spendor about second hand speakers last week and they said it does not exclude transfer of warranty so will be covered from date of original purchase.

Not heard the SA1's but heard the A3 and A6, liked both but A6 better overall. If they have the same house sound I would think that the SA1 would be better in my small 3.3M x 2.8M room.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The SA1 is slightly different to A5/A6 - more energetic and lively.

In case it's of interest, Sevenoaks Brighton have a brand new SP3/1P on Ebay (180652585217) reduced from £1500 to £799. I've used their ebay shop before so can recommend them.

Cno

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've tried the S3/5R after the A6 and they didn't do it for me. Didn't sound as good as my current speakers.

I would really need to try the SP3/1P first before buying I think.

I like the idea of the SA1's as a few others have said they prefer them to the A6's but I am trying to get a less harsh treble. The SA1's may be better than what I have but may still be too harsh if they are much livelier than the A6's.

Might just take a risk on the SA2's and sell them on if I don't like them. Won't cost too much to buy, not a great loss if they don't do the job.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Can't see SA1 being ever being described as harsh (or anything like it). I think its tweeter is even more expensive than the one in the A6 (but don't quote me)

I didn't mean that the treble is livelier, but the whole presentation is just infectious and toe tapping.

IMO I think it would sound perfect in the size of room you mention.

The only reason I mentioned the other choice was in case that the SA1s went for silly money, or the SA2s were damaged. It is probably too risky to buy blind.....though David from F.Harvey may be able to advise or maybe a call to Sevenoaks who were helpful in my case.

Cno

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I've now looked back on your previous threads, and looked up your speakers (which I'd never heard of).

As a result, here are some more thoughts.

The SA1s will have exactly the same strengths and weaknesses as your own, except they should tone down the Cyrus a bit more. The VR1 would be more neutral and forward (from reviews)

The SA1 are not a quantum leap ahead of the VR1, though probably better....so you're mostly getting a change in presention.

Are you sure that you are changing the right componant?.....your little speakers would sound totally different on the end of a Sugden, Lavardin or Pathos.

If you've set your heart on A6s, maybe you should wait and just get them.

Two other speakers to consider: Harbeth HLP 3ESR and Sonus Faber Liuto Monitor 2.

More questions than answers I'm afraid, but sometimes it helps just to get one's thoughts straight.

Cno

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advise and looking at the previous threads!

Compared my VR1's to A6's at a demo.

The A6's where better in every way to my speakers.

The only issue I can see is that I have a small room. Floor standers that I had years ago where too boomy but that could have been those speakers (Mission 782).

I think that I am looking for a change in presentation, the VR1's are really nice but it gets a bit tiring sometimes on long sessions as the system as a whole is a bit forwards. The lack of bass compared to floor standers is not an issue as I would get complaints from my parents downstairs if it was too bassy!

I have tried a NAD 1240 Pre-amp in place of my Cyrus aCA7.5. Made a difference, more bass and rolled off top end, but after a week had to go back to the Cyrus as the life was being sucked out of the music!

Perhaps you are right though, maybe I should wait until I can afford the A6, will only be a few months.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
"You might even find that he urge to change subsides."

That would be good!

Some SA1's have come up on an auction site - thinking of getting them and calling it a day!

If they go for too much I will try to get the SA2's and see what happens.

Don't mean to pry, but the SA1s on fleabay have gone......was it to you or are you waiting for A6?

Cno

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
It was me. Waiting for delivery, may take a while as there are so many bank holidays!

My sister got them for me as I don't have my own fleabay account.

Spendor sent me some info regarding the SA2's. Last manufacture was 1988!

At least if I don't like them I can sell them back on easily.

If I like them my existing 2 sets of speakers will cover most of the cost.

Win win!

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey FennerMachine, how old are you?
smiley-smile.gif
(I hope you don't mind me asking).

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Haven't got the speakers yet - bank holidays slowing deliveries!

Thought it would be a good idea to measure my existing speaker stands - the SA1's will only just fit if I turn my stands sideways!

Looks like they will have to go with my VR1's when I eventually part with them. My current stands have spikes for the speakers, not sure if I want to even put the SA1's on them & mark the bottoms, but I suppose I'll never (or rarely) see the bottoms!

What would be the best stands to get for now if I need new ones, obviously save up & get the proper ones later?

I could put them on my TV cabinet for now, will be 4 feet (1.2M) apart with nothing in between.

Thanks!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
Haven't got the speakers yet - bank holidays slowing deliveries!

Thought it would be a good idea to measure my existing speaker stands - the SA1's will only just fit if I turn my stands sideways!

Looks like they will have to go with my VR1's when I eventually part with them. My current stands have spikes for the speakers, not sure if I want to even put the SA1's on them & mark the bottoms, but I suppose I'll never (or rarely) see the bottoms!

What would be the best stands to get for now if I need new ones, obviously save up & get the proper ones later?

I could put them on my TV cabinet for now, will be 4 feet (1.2M) apart with nothing in between.

Thanks!

I was wondering how you were getting on.

The proper stands are probably worth going for, so it's a shame to spend extra money that isn't absolutely necessary...can you do any of the following:

The spikes on my own stands could be unscrewed, and I replaced them with counter-sunk bolts - is this possible?

Can you make 2 wooden bases (the same size as the bottom of the speaker), place that on the spikes, and blutak your speakers on to it (probably best).

Use spike shoes..but upside down..maybe blutaked onto the bottom of the speaker for stability.

In all likelyhood, they will sound s!*t on the TV cabinet, and not be far enough apart.

I hope some of the above ideas will allow you to keep your old stands, until the correct ones are a viable option... Looking forward to your full report

Cno

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Excellent suggestions!

I will try them on my TV cabinet first. Its made of Oak. It will likely sound rubbish.

Your suggestions all sound easy to try so won't need to get stop-gap stands now.

The stands I've got are quite nice. Have a little spirit level dome in the top centre, solid wood body with metal bracing to hold the metal top & bottom plates together. Would be nice to be able to keep them.

Will keep you posted!

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Got the SA1's today!

Followed your suggestion CnoEvil, removed the spikes from stands & used blu-tack.

Various pictures of them on Internet do not do them justice! I know they would look good but they do look GOOD!

Used them for about 4 hours so far.

I don't think they have been used for a while, they need running in a bit.

There is a lack of bass depth compared to the VR1's that I expected but after 4 hours it seemed to improve. Not a massive issue as I can't have too much bass due to being upstairs.

The treble has been tamed but the life is still in the music!

I was able to play louder than usual without fatigue.

They are very lively, snappy, with taut bass.

Played several tracks from about 20 CD's. Some had nuances I had never heard before.

Early days, may need to experiment with placement, maybe closer to the rear wall and toeing in (firing straight now). I will let them settle & run in first and let myself adjust to the new sound.

I think if I had paid full price I might be a little disappointed, but for what I paid very happy so far.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts