Old WHF equipment reviews/ratings?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is there anywhere on this site where you can access historic ratings/comments of obsolete equipment?

As an example, I'm looking at a couple of Roksan Kandy's (a K1 and a KA1) on eBay. From what I've read the current generation Kandy comes highly reccomended....but what about earlier models?

Is there a WHF archie anywhere?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
5 stars and group test winner. The K1 come in many different colour too from strawberry red to ice cold blue!
emotion-1.gif

I thought they were bright but then again I had a pair of MA RS series at the end of it!

A

Anonymous

Interesting, thanks!

What era are they from? Must be fairly old given the prices they seem to go for, when you consider the new one is £650.....

In your opinion, how would an old amp like this fair against a newer but cheaper amp... sticking to what I know (am new to this world so forgive the budget brand), for example CA 5/6/740 Azur?

A

Anonymous

I have both a Kandy KA-1 and KC-1 (picked up yesterday!) and they sound fantastic!
Lots & lots of scale and dynamics though they are both quite bright, any ideas how to take the edge off? Dac?
The build quality of the Roksan stuff is amazing and they are absolute bargains for the prices you can get them for.
I run them with some BR2's and plan to upgrade to 685's as the BR2's seem to be holding them back.

Compared to the Nad C350 and Arcam a75 plus they blow them out of the water! Don't know about the newer stuff but i hope that the cambridge stuff would not compete on anything but refinement.

Thanks,
Adam

A

Anonymous

[quote user="jbadman"]
Is there anywhere on this site where you can access historic ratings/comments of obsolete equipment?

As an example, I'm looking at a couple of Roksan Kandy's (a K1 and a KA1) on eBay. From what I've read the current generation Kandy comes highly reccomended....but what about earlier models?

Is there a WHF archie anywhere?
[/quote]

good question - can you get info like this somewhere?

A

Anonymous

A members or subscribers section of this site for archives would be great.........

A

Anonymous

Would be nice, though i remember that ratings in the ratings lists changed over time as I recall several items I bought went from 5 stars in all categories (back when build etc were included in all reviews) to sub-5 stars in certain categories e.g my Technics SU-A900 Mk 2.

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="jbadman"]
A members or subscribers section of this site for archives would be great.........
[/quote]

I posted a similar question in "about the mag" and was informed by th WHSV team themselves that they were putting the review archive up on the website very very shortly...watch this space!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="merseymal"] e.g my Technics SU-A900 Mk 2.[/quote]

That was a glorious amplifier with those lovely VU meters. I still have the brosure for it! That was my dream amp when I was younger and I thought the height of hi-fi was a JVC mini all in one!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jbadman"]Is there a WHF archie anywhere?[/quote]

No Archies - we have a Chris and a Joe and far too many Andrews and Andys, but nary an Archie.

Coming soon to a desktop near you, provided Mr Clough gets his skates on, is a new site with a huge number of our reviews of current products for your information, amusement and delectation.

And given that our colleagues on Gramophone are about to embark on a project to put online every word published in that magazine since it was founded in 1923, who knows what may happen with the WHFSV back catalogue in the future...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts