Denon PMA-710AE/DCD-710AE or Cambridge Azur 650A/650C

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Folks,

I have very recently registered myself with the WHF Forum and this is my first post. I am from the city of Calcutta ( India ). I had been reading WHF ( Indian edition ) for quite some time and access the WHF site on regular basis.As a HiFi enthusiast I find WHF very interesting and educative. I have indeed learnt a lot from the comments/views being given by different fellow members of WHF forum. I must 'congratulate' some of you are really knowledgable when it comes to HiFi. I need your help. I intend to buy a good entry/mid level HiFi systems. Options are limited in my city. Basically there are two standard dealers (i) One deals with Cambridge and at times with a few models of NAD electronics. They are also the dealer for Mordaunt Short / Warfdale speakers (ii) The second deals with Denon electronics and KEF speakers. In another few weeks time both the Cambridge 650 Amp/CD combo and Denon 710 Amp/CD combo will be made available. I had been going through a lot of exciting reviews about Cambridge and rather a few confusing comments about the earlier models from Denon. However there is a lot of Hype about Denon's new evolution series 710 Amp/CD.

I intend to go either for Denon 710 electronics with KEF IQ-50 speakers rather IQ 5 if still a pair is avilable in the market. I am particularly interested about Denon for its innovative USB input with the CD player and Ipod connectivity.MP3s and HD stored musics will all get the benefit of the Barr Brown DAC and DENON's own proprietory technology AL24 and Alpha processor . This grossly eliminates the need for an external DAC. If I go for cambridge electronics then the speaker would be MS-Mezzo 2 or perhaps it would be worth waiting for the new Avianos.

I am very impressed with the clarity of KEF IQs but the sound is bit too lean. Any idea whether the Denon CD player DCD 710 AE will

match with Cambridge 650 Amp. In that case the speaker choice would be obviously MS. I am rather confused on this specially WHF has not yet reviewed Denon 710s. It must have already come out in other markets. Has it been auditioned by any of you ???

Cheers - SKS

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi:

Welcome. For sheer musicality nothing can beat CA 650 - had heard Denon int. amps, not in the same league as the CAs. Having said that, CA and KEF gels very well - one a little bright and another warm, so the sound is excellent across the spectrum.

If you're not hell bent on Denon and KEF, why not try the CA and MS combo, excellent synergy, and very musical. Speakers like Mezzo 6 and the latest Aviano might go well with CA.

A

Anonymous

Hi vinod_david,

Thanks for the response. I have heard the earlier CA 640 with Mezzo 6 and the sound was really good. Wish to give this matter some more time. Waiting for all the new models to be available for audition.

Cheeres- sks

A

Anonymous

Hi,
Agree with what vinod_david said above. I had also auditioned Denon electronics ( dcd 700/pma1500) with kef Iq5 speakers...did'nt sound nearly as good as the CA 640C v2/ 540A v2 with MS 902i speakers which I ended up buying. The CA gear just sounded more exciting and musical...and much cheaper too! I know how difficult it can be to audition in India but I can heartily recommend CA... the new CA 650 CD/ Amp seems to be highly regarded...but then so does the NAD C545 cd player/ C326 BEE amp. I guess your choice will depend on their availability in Kolkata and your choice of speakers.
Anyway, all ears are not similar so would advise you to audition thoroughly before you spend....and remember the dealers here in India take a hefty commission so don't be afraid to bargain hard...then again the CA prices in India are quite attractive compared to other brands/dealers.
All the best!!

A

Anonymous

Hi! aku,

Thanks for the reply . I have auditioned C640s and also Denon 700 AE , I fully agree that the overall performance of C640 is much better than that of Denon700. I only got interested because of the all the hype on the new Denon evolution 710 Amp/CD combos. It is being said that Denon has made some conceptual changes in the design which has been done by European experts.With this they are attempting a come back to the field of HiFi where their reputation had been lagging for some time. There is high expectation of the HiFi enthusiasts about the denon710s. Over and above , denon 710 Cd player has a direct USB connectivity. I personally think, Ipod and USB port at the CD player stage is quite an innovative approach. One can play directly from pen drives or from HD. The signals will be routed through the BarrBrown DAC and Denons proprietory AL24 and Alpha processors. This would grossly eliminate the need for an external DAC. However I am waiting for C-650/550 to hit the selves in my city so is for denon 710s. I wish to wait till I have an audition before I take any final decision. If I go for C550 or 650 then the speaker choice will be MSs new Aviano range ( WHF has aleady given wonderful review on Aviano1) What I really want to find out whether any one has experience of matching Denon CDplayer with Cambride Amps. Then I might as well try to have a C640 amp ( now coming with some discount ) with the new Denon710 CD player. With this it may be possible to have the benefit of Denon 710 CD player with USP connectivity and also the wonderful sound of Cambridge amps. However system matching is not easy.If you have any idea then please share it with me or if you have auditioned the new evolution series Denon 710 Amps, please let me have your views.

So long - SKS

A

Anonymous

Hi,

two months ago I listened to compare CA 640V2 CD, CA 650 CD and Denon AE700 CD matching to my Marantz PM7001 amp and Quad L22 biwired Speakers (Chord Roumor2). Interconect Chord Chorus2. The most lively and detailed sound in that comparison was clearly Denon AE700 CD which I finaly bought. Before I used Marantz 5001 CD player. Former comparison Marantz CD 5001 with CA 640V2 CD could not make me to buy the CA 640V2 CD player. I am very happy about the dramatic improvement having baught Denon AE700 CD. I actually had much hopes on the new CA player C650, which just arrived in Indonesia in the shop I am a customer.

I just joined the forum, and I am too a reader of WHF Indonesian version.

Regards, Hans

T

the record spot

If you want to match systems, then these three might also be worth shortlisting, all of which have impressive specs:-

Marantz 6003 series

Harman-Kardon 980 series (better still, the 990 CDP and 980 amp might be a better mix, the 990 amp, however, is £900, but the CDP is widely available on discount from its' original £500 point)

Onkyo - A-5VL amp and C-S5VL CDP, both £350 and both look very interesting.

I'm a big Marantz fan, but if you were to push me to pick one of these, I have to say I'd be looking at the Onkyo kit first - there's some very decent stuff going on there I think, HK next (the 990 CDP has a lot of gadgetry found on the CA 840C, including balanced XLR outputs, but for £350 less, so if you can snag one for £300, you're possibly onto a good thing). Last but very much not least, the Marantz 6003 series CDP and amp; very respectable gear.

A

Anonymous

Well I heard Den510 & it sounded better than arcam.It was wide,fuller & live.

Spk were MA BR2 BS,Moon CDp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts