Old versus New Amps - best SQ bang for buck

Julian_b

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
Would it be fair to say that most advancements that have been made in amps have been in the 'pre amp'/'DAC' and connectivity areas rather than their power amplification sections?

So if someone was looking for best SQ bang for buck would it make more sense to look at an older, maybe refurbed/upgraded, Quad 405's or 909, Meridian 600 series, Naim monobloc options, etc to name a few, all priced 700 - 1800 pounds, rather than the new equivalently priced options.....including audiolab 8200m monoblocs, Music Fidelity 6i, Arcam's, Naim among others? Bit of a broad comparison but hopefully makes the point.

Maybe opening a can of worms, but curious as to peoples' opinions on this.....looking forward to hearing them.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I replaced my two Cyrus SmartPower power amps that I was using in mono mode that I bought about 2003/2005 (bought one then the other later) with one Quad 303 that they stopped making in about 1985. It was designed in about 1967!

Cyrus SmartPowers cost me about £600.00 each plus £220.00 each when I had them serviced. The Quad 303 cost me about £90.00 plus about £155.00 to get services (including cost of delivering it for the service).

The Cyrus amps served me well but I prefer the Quad.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
The only advances really have been in DAC/Pre amps all in one box that are not HT based, and the improvement in Digital/Class-D (or whatever you want to call it) power amplifiers.

Of course there were integrated amps with DAC's built in made in the 80's and 90's, but a lot of them are not that common over here.

Using the Quad 909 as an example, you could get a Quad 606 or 405 for a fraction of a 909/QSP that will probably give quite similar performance given they are the same line and amplifier type/design.

An amp that sounded good in 1960 will still sound good today, as long as its in fair working order. One of the best amps I have heard was designed in the '60s, another was designed in the '90s.

In terms of value, yes a second hand amp is usually going to be better for 'bang for the buck' at the expense of the latest technology or manufacturers warranty etc and of course demo facilities at the dealer/shop before you commit to buy.

Most, if not all of my hifi purchases are Second Hand/Older stuff, mainly as I am a cheapskate and stick to around £300/component at the most. Second hand does seem to make more sense in this budget sector IME.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Like many things used hifi is better value than new. Of course used gear has its downsides, like more likely yo go wrong, no warranties etc. If I stick with my passive system I will will buy used gear to upgrade, I have heard several system ranging from £500 per item to £1,000 and to be honest they are not a lot better than my old gear, so I may buy something like an Arcam Alpha 9 amp and a MArantz 63SE II KI which are about £200/£100 resp.

If you buy high-end gear I think you can get some even better deals. IMHO hi-fi has not really improved much in 20 years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts